Racism...How widespread is it in your area ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thought this was rather sad...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8104287.stm

Looking at 115 Romanians huddled together on the floor of a Belfast church hall, it was possible to see the worst side of Northern Ireland - and the best - all at once.
    The speed with which Pastor Malcolm Morgan and his team created a temporary home for 20 families was remarkable.
    At the same time, the sight of men, women and children looking so helpless and scared was a stain on Northern Ireland's international reputation.
    Many of the families came to Belfast believing that the years of prejudice and narrow-mindedness were over. However, it seems that in some parts of the city, racism is the new sectarianism.

But I wasn't surprised...It always amuses me how the broadsheets and journalists on the radio always seem surprised that it still exists. Casual racism down here on the pointy bit is so common,it's a way of life. From abuse directed towards emmets to hatred of 'gyppos' and then there was the burning of a multicultural centre (and lets not even get started on the hatred of the Catholics by the Methodist majority..)..We may be chocolate box pretty down here but the racism is horrific...as great as any inner city.

I think it's a middle class myth that racism is a thing of the past..that racism has some how just reared it's sleeping form again..it's never gone away..the credit crunch has given casual racism a voice and let the BNP,whose views aren't that uncommon,a sneaky way into politics....

So, your family, your area...how common is racism ?
    are you in the minority when it comes to your 'love all' hippy values ? ( I know i am !)

• Where i lived was predominantly white, and it would be a shock to see more than a handful of ethnics..
    where i`m living is predominantly ethnic.....
    not really seen racism in either! maybe thats as i`m not racist in the slightest.

Saying that tho...it appears from listening to people from small towns(like my hometown) its the Polacks that are the worst hit by racism nowadays!

• Here (as in the whole of Lincolnshire!) it's still quite rare to see a black or Indian face, although they are becoming more common in the towns nearby. There is as far as I can see no racism against people of a different colour... I think there is more against people from Poland, Romania etc, simply because there are so many all of a sudden. Boston has the highest ratio of Polish to British in the country I think. I don't know if that's because they are so far behind the times here or because they see the jobs going to foreigners or what...

• The racism round here is more casual ignorance than political agenda - comments get thrown into conversations without the person knowing what they're saying. Sad because that's how it gets passed down the generations.

Most people get along fine, although there are a few who just hate anyone different - and probably always will.

• I'd say Telford is fairly average in terms of racism and xenophobia. There are incidents (people painting huge swatikas on the sides of houses with Polish people living in, for example) and I have known some pretty racist individuals, but on the whole it's a pretty multicultural area and most people live alongside different communities fairly peacefully.

I'd say the rest of Shropshire is much more racist though, since - aside from Telford - it's mainly a white, rural, middle-class and old fashioned county. I know Shrewsbury has always had quite a significant BNP following and there's quite a bit of smallmindedness about.

I lived in Broadway in south Worcestershire for about a year and that area was definitely significantly more racist. I worked in Evesham and the things I would hear people say would sometimes make my jaw drop, because I'd never really heard people be so casually racist and just not recognise at all that it was wrong in the slightest. It felt like I was living in the 50s or something.

• A little while ago I was fucking around with the mp3 player on my phone and accidentally pulled the earphones out ... I had some ska playing and one of my best female friends suddenly said "oh fucking hell, nigger music", and it wasn't said with any attempt at humour either.

I didn't expect it from her, and really felt quite disappointed - and I haven't actually spoken to her much since then. It's kinda difficult when it's your mates coming out with that sort of shit - if I distanced myself from everyone I ever disagreed with I'd end up with no friends at all.

• Racism is the norm here, even though there's quite a diverse mix of cultures. Well, I say mix, but mostly each group keeps to itself.
    If I pull somebody up for casual racist remarks, 'nigger, paki' etc, it's usually ME who gets the odd looks and sniggers from people rather than the ignorant bastards peddling their idiocy.
    Local message boards have racist joke threads without any complaints, and even the few people who I know that aren't racist as such still fling racist comments and jokes around without any obvious realisation of how Neanderthal it makes them sound.

Racism is still deeply ingrained in this country, is pushed forward heavily and legitimised by tabloid headlines like: "Illegals caged" and "Ethnic benefits cheat",
    ...and it makes me feel like I'm losing the plot to be surrounded by these people on all sides. This includes most of my family too. :mad:

• A little while ago I was fucking around with the mp3 player on my phone and accidentally pulled the earphones out ... I had some ska playing and one of my best female friends suddenly said "oh fucking hell, nigger music", and it wasn't said with any attempt at humour either.

I didn't expect it from her, and really felt quite disappointed - and I haven't actually spoken to her much since then. It's kinda difficult when it's your mates coming out with that sort of shit - if I distanced myself from everyone I ever disagreed with I'd end up with no friends at all.

But don't you feel that you have to make your disapproval known?
    I have a customer who would insist on telling rascist jokes, to make it worse he suffers from bad tunnel vision so couldn't tell who was in the shop,had to insist that he didn't use the 'N' word as I find it really offensive, he apologised and complied.I don't want customers or friends who can be so casually rascist, some times all it needs is pointing out to them that their language is offensive.
    Another one who insisted on using nasty terminology came out with that lovely phrase 'I'm not a rascist but....'I let my manager bollock him, she does it so well.
    I heard about that incident on R4 this morning, but was not surprised by it there seems to be an awful lot of rascism in N.Ireland.
    Question tho'..... is it right that we always seem to concentrate on discrimination that mostly comes from the white anglo saxons?Is rascism between say, an african and a west indian, or a turk and a greek not also just as appalling?

• Racism is a murky subject; if a white guy says "nigger" he's called a racist, but if a black guy says it (and I've heard it shed loads of times on gangsta) its not.....but if something is ok for one race to do, but not another, isnt that also racist (because it assumes a superiority about its use by one race over another purely on the grounds of race). :insane:

Call an irish bod a paddy, and its ok. Call a pakistani person a paki and its not.

I wonder how much of both "racism" and "anti-racism" is actually presciousness in disguise....

ETA: Also, I dont get why insiting religious/race/sex hatred is always set out - isnt the issue just the hatred itself? :confused:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Coyote ().

• It's not any worse round here than anything anyone's already said.

A bit of "they took our jobs" aimed at the Poles, and the usual bollocks about anyone with a different shade of skin. I get a bit of anti English crap, but 99% of it is harmless banter.

• I have not really come across much racism in Winchester, but there are very, very few ethnic minorities so maybe it just hasn't come up, if you see what I mean? I certainly didn't see or hear much at school or college.

Having said that, about an hour ago my friend who works at the hospital was telling me that when they are testing blood samples for Indian people, two of the employees refer to them as Mr or Mrs Curry, so maybe there is more of it about than I have noticed.

There was definitely racism at my old workplace, but I think that is because it was a low-paid, low-status care job which would probably be the same anywhere... the Poles are taking our jobs, those Africans do everything in their own sweet time, lazy cows and referring to one nurse, whose name was Anna as 'Old Black Annie'... making fun of the way the Chinese carers spoke, that sort of thing. And the elderly clients, of course, referring to the African nurses as 'that nigger girl' and demanding that they clean up after them because they must be servants, musn't they?

But that was also very much a generational thing... it was only the aged over 40 nurses and carers who said things like that, and obviously the clients were all over 70.

Err... so to answer your question... I don't know!

• there was one coloured child in the village where I lived. No other non whites at all. unfortunaltely this girl, from about the age of 5, would hit her classmates and then say you cant hit me back thats racist. Her mother (white) also re-enforced her attitude and even had the teachers accused of downgrading her tests because she was coloured (because she is cleverer than that!) I actually witnessed this several times. so over the last 10 years a whole generation of kids in the village have grown up hating coloured kids. so when an asian took over the village shop..poor family was terrorised by hoards of youths being abusive, stealing in full view, etc.

• But don't you feel that you have to make your disapproval known?

Of course :)

Question tho'..... is it right that we always seem to concentrate on discrimination that mostly comes from the white anglo saxons?Is rascism between say, an african and a west indian, or a turk and a greek not also just as appalling?

No, it's all important - but it's easier to understand and address "our" own cultural prejudices than it is to understand those of someone from a different ethnicity.

• Of course :)

No, it's all important - but it's easier to understand and address "our" own cultural prejudices than it is to understand those of someone from a different ethnicity.

Agreed,:D but as soon as you use the words 'ours' and 'theirs' it all gets a bit blurry, by doing so are we not discriminating ourselves?
    Is it my place to stop a black bloke referring to 'the p*ki shop'.( I would)
    Is it really offensive(this is from ptm's post) to refer to someone who is old, black, and called Annie, as old black Annie?
    I realise that intent and context is important, don't know where I'm going with this, but different races, creeds, gender and sexual orientation have always been aware of the differences between them and others, some use those differences as a stick to beat them with, others look for the commonality, and some of that commonality is the fact that we are all different,:insane:I'm not making sense here, am I?

• Is it really offensive(this is from ptm's post) to refer to someone who is old, black, and called Annie, as old black Annie?

Her name wasn't Annie, unfortunately, it was Anna. And she wasn't old, she was younger than they were. But they didn't really feel it was important to get her name right.

• Is it really offensive(this is from ptm's post) to refer to someone who is old, black, and called Annie, as old black Annie?

To be honest, if I worked somewhere where there were two Bogwoppits, one black and one white, I wouldn't object in the slightest to being called 'White Woppit' :D

I'd object much more if she was younger than me and they called me 'Old Bog'!! :insane:

Not saying there must have been two Annies where PTM works, just saying :D

Edited to read PTM's post:

Yeah I can see the problem there then.

• What I mean is: If there has to be a way of differentiating between the two then I wouldn't mind the colour way. Same with 'Paki' shops. If I had a shop I wouldn't mind it being referred to as the 'Cocky' (short for Caucasian:pp as white can't really be shortened!) shop! :D

• 'Paki' isn't an ethnic group, it's a slur. 'Pakistani' is an ethnic group. Though most people referred to as 'Pakis' aren't from Pakistan anyway.
    I'm pretty sure you *would* mind if 'Cocky' were used in the same way as 'Paki'.

• Yeah I know. It annoys me when people lump all Indians together, same as 'Niggers' aren't all from Nigeria.

Probably if it went back through history yeah.

• Her name wasn't Annie, unfortunately, it was Anna. And she wasn't old, she was younger than they were. But they didn't really feel it was important to get her name right.

I take your point and agree, but there's a bloke up the pub who's refered to as 'Black John' is that rascist?

• I grew up in nothern ireland and am not at all surprised at what happened in Belfast. Northern Ireland is full of people living their entire life within their own comunity- either scotish ancestry white protestant or irish ancestry white catholics. The schools are almost entirely divided between the comunities with hardly any mixing. Up to very recently it was not unusual for large companies to have a workforce that was 100% from one of the comunities. The two comunities, especially in Belfast, live in completely different areas and sometimes need large walls seperating them to "protect" them from each other. Both comunities, especially protestants, distrust outsiders and are openly racist.

There was a similar incident near me in Bristol about 1 year ago when some somali families had to move out of a housing estate after racism and damage to their houses. But generally there is a lot less racism here and in other parts of england were i have lived than in northern ireland.

• I take your point and agree, but there's a bloke up the pub who's refered to as 'Black John' is that rascist?

There was a bloke in my sister's village called Black John. He knew and didn't mind. It was to stop people getting confused with another John who is white. He was the only black person in the village, and probably the only one in the county back then!

Can someone just clarify? Are we supposed to refer to 'black' or 'coloured' people? I'm never sure which one it is that offends. Genuine question, apologies if it offends anyone.

• Can someone just clarify? Are we supposed to refer to 'black' or 'coloured' people? I'm never sure which one it is that offends. Genuine question, apologies if it offends anyone.

"Coloured" is generally taking as "insulting"...

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• I take your point and agree, but there's a bloke up the pub who's refered to as 'Black John' is that rascist?

I do see what you're saying. I guess I feel that referring to him as 'Black John' is likely to suggest latent racism. I mean, if you were to say "...you know John?" and someone replied "Not sure, which John?" then describing him as 'Black John' would just be sensible and descriptive... but as a default nickname? It certainly seems odd to me, but then I don't know the people involved or their reasons for doing so.