BNP press coference abandoned

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Breaking news.
    BNP have had to abandon a press conference in front of parliament after a 200 strong crowd disrupted proceedings.:D
    It appears that in order to hold the press event parties have to inform the press office and somehow news got out.
    It seems the protest was by Unite.:D

• Now, ya see, I'm in two minds over this. Yes its funny that the thugs got pelted by eggs, but I really would prefer for the BNP to stand up in the light of day and say exactly what they believe and why. Its only the cold light of day that gets people past fascism...not "anti-fascist" censorship.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Now, ya see, I'm in two minds over this. Yes its funny that the thugs got pelted by eggs, but I really would prefer for the BNP to stand up in the light of day and say exactly what they believe and why. Its only the cold light of day that gets people past fascism...not "anti-fascist" censorship.

But they'd only lie. Like they've lied to all those respectable people who have actually joined them thinking they have reformed :rolleyes:

But it's a press conference, they wouldn't do that, they'd spout on about it being a great day for democracy and how they tried to stop them, but the people have spoken blah bollocks blah...oh pass me my revolver before I puke.

• But it's a press conference, they wouldn't do that, they'd spout on about it being a great day for democracy and how they tried to stop them, but the people have spoken blah bollocks blah...oh pass me my revolver before I puke.

We'd like to see them on question time, so they can be questioned on their "only whites can be members" and "wholly opposed to any form of racial
    integration between British and non-European peoples
    " policies, rather than so called anti-fascists who would deny someone free speech.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• But they'd only lie. Like they've lied to all those respectable people who have actually joined them thinking they have reformed :rolleyes:

Which is why we need the lies to be calmly illuminated rather than simply have them shouted down by would-be censors.

• Well, Griffin absolutely lapped it up; makes him look like he's the one BEING repressed rather than a would be represser :rolleyes: It would be nice if people stopped making a martyr of him and let him hang himself with his own rope. The more they side with the "downtrodden working class" and then get their free speech blocked by a bunch of censors who say he isnt entitled to free speech (interesting definition of ANTI fascist there :rolleyes:) the more people will flock to his side.

• I agree with Coyote, only when they are "allowed" to behave in a normal fashion, will their extreme views be truly obvious to the public. Once they are "comfortable", they will let their guard down and their true colors will be seen by one and all.

In my hometown, the KKK used to march every year - right down the main street. It would have been very satisfying to scream and yell and hurl things. Instead, all the people who wanted to make a statement against the KKK simply lined the pavements, three and four deep, and, as the bigots marched down the street, everyone turned their backs. You could hear a pin drop. It was humiliating for the KKK but did not allow them to feel indignant about the treatment they received. No eggs, no abusive language, just ignored them, plain and simple.

And, whether we like it or not (and I don't), these guys were voted in at a free and fair election like all the other parties so they are entitled to make their statement - once we start to censor them we're on the slippery slope......:(

• Which is why we need the lies to be calmly illuminated rather than simply have them shouted down by would-be censors.

exactly he needs to be allowed his 15 minutes, give him a podium from which he may speak, when he is required to speak on the record in the European parliament I can see one of two things happening

1. He shows his true colours and is soundly defeated in rationale debate by his peers in the parliament, or

2. He finds that to be heard he must moderates his message and thus alienates himself form his grassroots support ( i think this more likely) in any event i suspect his term will be shortlived

• I think it's a damn shame that him and his party are now able to look like victims. In fact, to look like reasonable human beings in the face of a wild angry mob. The protesters could have broken up the press conference peacefully simply by making a lot of noise, instead they've given Griffin a platform to talk about HIS 'non-violent' views.
    This protest was 100% counter productive if you ask me.

• Oh, and I just heard a protest spokeswoman say that she 'believes in freedom of speech, but not for fascists'.
    To be truly meaningful, freedom of speech can not come with any caveats or loopholes.

• The protesters could have broken up the press conference peacefully simply by making a lot of noise,

......because some people are not allowed to have their words heard? That isnt so far away from the BNP themselves :(

......because some people are not allowed to have their words heard? That isnt so far away from the BNP themselves :(

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. That making a noise is more akin to what we expect from the BNP than throwing eggs and 'stampeding'?
    I just think that egg throwing and charging down a press conference says nothing for peace.

• Wouldnt it be better to ask questions of him in a public setting? he either answers honestly,and we all get to hear that,or he lies and loses face with his party and open to being shot down as a liar..

They have enough rope to hang themselves if we stop cutting it for them..

• Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. That making a noise is more akin to what we expect from the BNP than throwing eggs and 'stampeding'?
    I just think that egg throwing and charging down a press conference says nothing for peace.

I think Coyote means what you said in the post before... about freedom of speech. If the protestors made a lot of noise then the BNP wouldn't be heard, thus not allowing them that freedom? Can see where you're coming from though.

• Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. That making a noise is more akin to what we expect from the BNP than throwing eggs and 'stampeding'?

I get a bit :rolleyes: listening to so called anti-fascists being selective about freedom of speech.... When you shout down a press conference all you do is stop people from hearing them speak and making up their own mind - instead what you are doing is saying "dont make your own mind up, just believe what we tell you" :rolleyes:

Two flavours of authoritarianism.

• Oh yeah, I agree with that. I'm not backing the protest at all, I'm saying that they could have gone about it a lot better if they felt like they needed to do it at all.

I too would like to see Griffin on question time. On the news he's been saying that the protest was organised by the labour party and moaning about how all the major political partys are ganging up on the BNP.
    He probably sees it in his head as being very similar to the struggle that Hitler and his 'party' went through to get into power.

• Poor Nick Griffin. I fell *REALLY* sorry for him. All he wanted to do was have a press conference and those crazy "non-racist" people attacked him. Booooooo. Long live the fuhrer, I mean BNP...

No wait I mean :finger: !!!! Eat flame BNP :flame:

• Oh yeah, I agree with that. I'm not backing the protest at all, I'm saying that they could have gone about it a lot better if they felt like they needed to do it at all.

I too would like to see Griffin on question time. On the news he's been saying that the protest was organised by the labour party and moaning about how all the major political partys are ganging up on the BNP.
    He probably sees it in his head as being very similar to the struggle that Hitler and his 'party' went through to get into power.

Apparently BNP have been invited on Question Time, but no-one else will sit on the panel with them. Also political parties do gang up on each other as a matter of course; the 1997 election looked like everyone vs. the Tories.

• Apparently BNP have been invited on Question Time, but no-one else will sit on the panel with them. Also political parties do gang up on each other as a matter of course; the 1997 election looked like everyone vs. the Tories.

Which shows stupidity on the part of the other parties :rolleyes:

• We'd like to see them on question time, so they can be questioned on their "only whites can be members" and "wholly opposed to any form of racial
    integration between British and non-European peoples
    " policies, rather than so called anti-fascists who would deny someone free speech.

Thing is, they're pretty well versed in answering all of those questions, they've been learning how to do it for years. A few well aimed questions about how they intend to get us out of the recession, some detailed questioning about their policies in the middle east and some further questioning on issues like domestic violence etc. would be good to see, that'd show them up for the incompetent wankers they really are. If you give them a chance to be reasonable, they'll prove that they couldn't possibly lead a country, I think that'd be much more damaging than repeating the racism accusations which every educated person already knows about...

That and they'd probably let slip some racist bullshit at the same time off their own backs; what with not being used to answering any other questions.

• good job good old john prescott wasnt but i wonder who would he have punched Nick griffin or the egg throwing public humm. Well done to all the protesters :D:D:D