Festivals that let DOGS in?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ok I found this in Cropredy FAQ's

You may bring your dog but all our canine friends must be kept on a leash at all times. There are 'waste' bags at all the Campsite Control portacabins and the Info portacabin.

That's one at least

• one of my "pet hates" ( oh i am sooo funny) is the restrictions on dogs everywhere one goes!!! I understand the reasons but it is really poo. (again)

me and my dog got turned away from Stonehenge last week, and there is nowhere to leave dogs, no shade or anything, so they didnt get my cash!!!

gets me mad!!

• Northern Green Gathering used to allow dogs. Some of the organisers have their own dogs. Dogs are part of the family. It is great to think that allowing them to come to the festival will be all fluffy and roses.
    The reality was that as an organiser team, we spent more time doing administration, negotiation, problem resolution and listening to complaints about dogs than we did about people. Having dogs at the event was an absolute nightmare. It just seemed that every five minutes there was another dog complaint.
    "There's some dog poo in the kids field, can it be cleared up?"
    "There's one loose on the main road"
    "A child has been bitten by a savage alsatian and the owner can't be found"
    "The owner won't put their dog on the lead and accusing me of animal cruelty for suggesting it"
    "There's a pack of dogs in the main stage marquee"
    "I found a fox's corpse on the edge of the camping field, looks like a dog got it"
    "The lady from the circus says her pet rabbit has gone missing from the van, and there are a lot of dogs around..."

The problem is that while many people will be prepared to control their dog and prevent them from causing trouble, there will always be people who will not or cannot do this. It's a sad state of affairs, but allowing dogs to come to the festival spoils the festival for many people.

• One year we even drew up a contract for dog owners to sign, agreeing that take full responsibility etc etc, we had the power to remove the dogs to the local RSPCA if we saw fit, they paid a deposit that was as expensive as an adult ticket, they attached a photo of themselves to the dog and a photo of the dog to themselves at all times, as well as the usual rules about keeping them on the leads at all times and clearing up the poo. We provided ample poo bins and even employed special dog stewards to help people out of they were having trouble looking after the dogs.

Despite all of that we still had roaming packs and people being bitten. As an organiser wanting to ensure people have a good time, there is no easy way to allow dogs in.

• Taken from that face book page...

Since the early 90's licensing officers and festival organisers in the UK seem to have stopped many people attending festivals with their dogs. Many folk feel totally excluded especially members of the traveling community! Friends have pointed out that other outside events don't have this blanket ban on dogs. So why is it the case with so called music festivals? What's the history of this stuff, what events allow dogs... whose welcome

?

I take your point Stu but I think that the phrase 'members of the travelling community' is quite telling.
    Its harsh when you cannot take a member of your family to a festie, and it makes our lives very difficult, as we trade and tend to be away for long periods at a time.
    It's my belief that this all stems back to the peace convoy, and not allowing dogs on site was a convienient way of keeping some of the less responsible members away.
    It does smack of 'no dogs, no travellers, etc,
    Would it be so hard to have one field that allows dogs and no where else on site?

• I take your point Stu but I think that the phrase 'members of the travelling community' is quite telling.

Well, I haven't looked at this facebook thingy yet, but in my experience, the perpetrators were just as likely to be house-dwellers as "site" dogs, and often more so. Dogs that are used to being in large open air places with people and vehicles everywhere are usually more capable of being relaxed with a festival atmosphere and not getting freaked out/being naughty. Dogs that are used to middle class suburbia can go absolutely nuts at a festival.
    I don't really know where this prejudice about traveller dogs comes from, to be honest.

Its harsh when you cannot take a member of your family to a festie, and it makes our lives very difficult, as we trade and tend to be away for long periods at a time.

Understood and I agree. I wish there was an easy solution.

Would it be so hard to have one field that allows dogs and no where else on site?

Depends on if you have the space on the site, and you'd need to fence it off to be effective (fencing costs lots of cash). I'd rather have all dog owners follow the rules, then there would be no problem, but I just can't see that happening.
    The problems arise because there are always people who feel that the rules on keeping your dog on a lead and picking up their poo just don't apply to them.

• Another thing that seemed to happen at every NGG where we allowed dogs - a dog would be found locked in a van/car with no windows open/water/food etc. We'd have to either find the owner or break in. I'm sure I don't need to preach to people on this site about why this should not happen.
    Sadly, even if you have an event where most of the punters are interested in animal rights and would treat their pets with love and respect and dignity, there are always a minority of wankers who do this sort of thing.

• yet again its the minority spoiling it for everyone i for one wouldnt want to let my dog out of my site at a festie so i dont understand why its so hard for other dog owners to do the same as for not clearing up after them that sort of thing just makes me mad it only takes 2 mins ffs!!!

it is impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing my baby in a tattoo style mei tai!!!

• yet again its the minority spoiling it for everyone i for one wouldnt want to let my dog out of my site at a festie so i dont understand why its so hard for other dog owners to do the same as for not clearing up after them that sort of thing just makes me mad it only takes 2 mins ffs!!!

it is impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing my baby in a tattoo style mei tai!!!

Well, I haven't looked at this facebook thingy yet, but in my experience, the perpetrators were just as likely to be house-dwellers as "site" dogs, and often more so. Dogs that are used to being in large open air places with people and vehicles everywhere are usually more capable of being relaxed with a festival atmosphere and not getting freaked out/being naughty. Dogs that are used to middle class suburbia can go absolutely nuts at a festival.
    I don't really know where this prejudice about traveller dogs comes from, to be honest.

Fair point, don't think it's prejudice is against the dogs tho,

The problems arise because there are always people who feel that the rules on keeping your dog on a lead and picking up their poo just don't apply to them

So Agree with you on that one,people who think its ok to let their dogs run and poo where they want 'cos their little rover's sooo cute and how can anybody be offended by him, and anyway his poo smells of roses.

• I guess if you're looking around for festivals to go to, and have the oppertunity to use the internet then this is the sort of question frequently answered in their respective FAQ's.

That will answer his question.

• A mate of mine, was just asking me if I could ask around to see if anyone knows of any festivals that allow dogs.:hippy:

Does anyone know? :eek:

Hey Gristlebutt, the Coed Hills Summer Solstice Weekender allows dogs on lead...
    It's a mini-festival near Cardiff.
    Love to have you and your dog(s) along!

Please see details of the event in the Festivals forum.

Much love...

• Knockengorrach let woofys in no probs. Clean up their mess and your sorted

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

• I live in my van and love to party! I always take my dog to free partys and any pay partys that will allow her there. I also organise occasional retro acid house events where we have never had any dog related problems.
    Anyone who lets their dog stray at a festy is risking the animal scavenging puke contaminated with illicit stuff, dont risk it, keep the dog on a lead and in a designated field and surely its all good?
    Good partys are attended by nice people and should be able to regulate themselves, the bigger the event, the bigger the risk of idiots attending, with dogs or not.