My newly sorted van; Yolko

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just thought I'd share some pics of my current pride and joy, 'Yolko'.
    She was a bare bones work transit and hadn't been shown much love. The back was filled with dank, slimy rotting plywood which I had to rip out, leaving quite a mess to clean up.
    As my first van, I've been totally making it up as I've gone along, but I'm so pleased with how she's turned out that I just have to show her off a bit.

From the outside she looks pretty average, right down to the flashy orange light on the roof...

The drivers seat is maybe slightly more conspicuous...

As is my shamanic steering lock...

But then...

and

Both the futon and this back sheeting found me at just the right time. The futon however fell apart... which was good, because it meant I got to learn how the damn fiddly things are made while I relayered it!

I'm particularly proud that apart from the insulation, and the price of the van itself, this whole thing cost me pretty much nothing. All the wood was stuff I've found or other people have had lying around. Oh, the curtains were a few quid from a charity shop and required sewing, but I've learnt to do that too now! Carpets were all found, some at festies, some in attics... I built the cupboards, the bed...everything really.

All in all, I'm pleased as punch and am now on week two of living in her. The main problem is...I've got nothing left to do! Anybody want some cupboards building? I need a new project now...

• that looks fuckin awesome!! and you've made a way better job of it than i did of my transit which was exactly the same as that one but with more gaffa tape.

i'm really seriously impressed man!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• wow!!! so cozy, i can see why you are so pleased! the bed looks lush with the crochet i really like it, love your steering lock!! very comfy, cozy and homely
    you have done a brilliant job! its really well laid out too made good use of space

hope to see you and your home soon xxx

• great van hun:D..and if anyone ever gets past your steering lock,you'll know it must have been a Shaman:blow:

We still miss our van :(:cry:

• wow, just noticed your ceiling!

i never got round to T&Ging my ceiling so if we had too many people all sleeping in their and breathing too much the ceiling would get so soaked with condensation that it would drip on our heads!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Wow!!!:eek:

I'm immensely impressed by that!!! really well done!! I'm amazed how big it looks inside!!! :thumbup:

Now, it just so happens that my T25 needs a totally new interior... I have a drive someone could probably live on in their inconspicuous white van for a few weeks... :whistle:

:D

• im all excited cos my daughters dad is going to get a motor home soon so its already got everything in it but i now i feel like a cheat
    i really love what people do to their vans & buses with a bit of imagination & know how, i really like what u have done to your one too its great

• Thanks everybody, glad you all like her! I'd say that your comments make it all worth while...but, well, having a sweet van to live in this summer already made it worth while. Been planning new additions today already. Sorted out running water and hoping to work out how to afix an old shop awning to the side sometime this week.

Quote from Stardust

that looks fuckin awesome!! and you've made a way better job of it than i did of my transit which was exactly the same as that one but with more gaffa tape.

i'm really seriously impressed man!!

Thinking back, your magical bus was the first live-in vehicle I ever set foot inside, and in a strange way, that (and yourself) has turned out to be a massive inspiration in my life. So...before I get all senti-mental...thankyou so much! Guided tour coming up in a few months...

Quote from starcatkel

the bed looks lush with the crochet i really like it

Thanks, I found it in my mothers attic, but she had no idea from whence it came. It and the rest of my decor have been accused of being 'a bit gay' this week though...

Quote from Bogwoppit

I have a drive someone could probably live on in their inconspicuous white van for a few weeks... :whistle:

Oh really? ;) That's not beyond the realms of possibility, although I'd feel pretty damn nervous as I've put a lot of 'me' into this conversion. Doing it for somebody else would feel kinda weird, and I wouldn't feel as comfortable leaving any rough edges as I have been with mine. But if you're serious, I'd definitely be up for coming and helping out in any way that I can. :) Same goes for anyone who can offer me a park up spot and the odd meal.

Quote from Colin M

Looks pretty good to me! And this is your 1st van?

Well, technically my first van was a Bedford Rascal, but that poor thing died a total death on it's maiden voyage up the M1. Still not sure why exactly, but the radiator appeared to be full of metal shards. Obviously, not a good thing. Got more money for scrap than I payed for her though, so can't complain!

Quote from Pixie

your steering lock is amazing

Hehe, I like to think so. It's made entirely from discarded bits and bobs from last years festivals. It became my soul/sole purpose for the entirety of Glade where I don't think I looked up all weekend...

Quote from Julianthegypsy

I like the hi-vis jacket, very stealthy

And warm! The only thing that I wonder though, is that if it looks too much like a working van, then people might assume there are valuable tools in it? Any thoughts?

Anyway, thanks again everybody who has commented, hopefully it will allow me to get to more gatherings where I can make everybody tea whilst jealously regarding other vans. It'll probably look totally different in a week after I get bored, rip everything out and start again....:insane:

• And warm! The only thing that I wonder though, is that if it looks too much like a working van, then people might assume there are valuable tools in it? Any thoughts?

you can get "no tools kept in this vehicle overnight" signs. am not sure how effective a detterent they are but they certainly add to the stealth value. maybe see if you can get some "this vehicle is alarmed" stickers. i dont think they make stickers saying "this vehicle has a sodding great alsation asleep in it that will probably rip your balls off" - tho i think that would be the most effective detterent of all.

• Stardust, a sticker could be made that says that if you wish! I do have access to a machine that makes vinyl stickers in up to about 4 colours (the materials are jolly expensive though - £120 for a 15m roll of the colour ribbon that it prints with). But it could be done.

• And warm! The only thing that I wonder though, is that if it looks too much like a working van, then people might assume there are valuable tools in it? Any thoughts?

Try a kryptonite lock in the back and side doors.

Here: http://www.afs-securitysystems.com/Kryptonite.php

Also, try reinforcing the doors on the inside, especially anything that could be crowbarred... By this, I mean add something (steel rods, steel ribbons, steel angles) on the inside of the doors (preferably welded) so if someone tries to "bend" the door open using a crowbar, they won't be able to.

An idea against anyone nicking the whole vehicle is a hidden battery isolator switch or fuel cut-out valve. If they can't start it up, they'll probably let it be..

You can't easily avoid idiots. If they think there's tools in it they'd like to nick them, if they think you live in it they'd like to vandalize it.. So it's better to make sure that if there's any idiots around, they can't do much damage.

• An idea against anyone nicking the whole vehicle is a hidden battery isolator switch or fuel cut-out valve. If they can't start it up, they'll probably let it be..

that's a really good idea actually, i forgot that one. i used to have one of these in my old volkswagen. it only cost a tenner. every time i forgot to stick it back in i'd go to start the van with the key and nothing would happen and i'd sit there thinking whats broken now?!

• The only thing that I wonder though, is that if it looks too much like a working van, then people might assume there are valuable tools in it? Any thoughts?

We got a little motion detector from Maplin for about 15GBP. It'll make one hell of a racket if anyone does get into our van... I guess we'd still have to deal with any damage caused to gain access. So we added to that a couple of stickers that say we have an alarm, a big scary steering wheel lock (not nearly as pretty as yours!!) and we feel pretty safe leaving her.

Your van is beautiful! I hope you enjoy living in it.
    Bee
    x

Oh really? ;) That's not beyond the realms of possibility, although I'd feel pretty damn nervous as I've put a lot of 'me' into this conversion. Doing it for somebody else would feel kinda weird, and I wouldn't feel as comfortable leaving any rough edges as I have been with mine. But if you're serious, I'd definitely be up for coming and helping out in any way that I can. :) Same goes for anyone who can offer me a park up spot and the odd meal.

Well you would be most welcome to come and park up for a few days anyway. Not much to do here but plenty of :peace:

I can cook a mean pasta bake/bean stew/veggie spag bol when the mood takes me :D

• Quote from JimBeam

Try a kryptonite lock in the back and side doors.

Woah, that thing looks like it means serious business. Looks more expensive than my van! Surely having something like that on there makes it really look like there's something worth stealing though? There's nothing between the cab and the back, so a simple brick through the window would negate whatever lock I put on there, but I do like the idea of some sort of internal reinforcement - particularly of the rear doors.
    Also, a hidden isolator switch sounds like a fantastic idea. Will be investigating that immediately.

Quote from Beedup

We got a little motion detector from Maplin for about 15GBP

Cheers, I'll start researching them as well then. I'm also thinking of getting a cheap rape alarm or something for when I'm in there as that's when the paranoia sets in the most. Thursday evening found me chasing phantom noises with an axe. It turned out to be an army of hedgehogs. Noisy buggers. It's a good job I'm veggie :reddevil:

Quote from Stardust

Maybe see if you can get some "this vehicle is alarmed" stickers.

There is actually a little red blinking LED in the cab which seems to serve no purpose what-so-ever, other than to look like an alarm. I'm not sure how efficient a thief deterrent that is though, especially if they're standard?

Quote from Medusa

What do you do for heat?

At the minute...I'm relying on hot water bottles! If it's really really cold, there's my little camping stove, but that is far from ideal. I think my van is too small for a burner really, and since I may be selling her at the end of the year, I'm loathe to start cutting chimney holes in her.
    What other options are there? I was looking at paraffin heaters, but read that they put a lot of pollutants and nastiness in the air?

I should be setting up a charge splitter + leisure battery in a few weeks so will have some spare electricity to play with.
    12 volt sound system is my first priority, but then perhaps some sort of electric heater might be viable?

Quote from Bogwoppit

Well you would be most welcome to come and park up for a few days anyway. Not much to do here but plenty of :peace:

Excellent. The next 3 months are pretty much full, but I'll probably be somewhere around Halifax come the end of the festival season, and if my geography isn't too bad, then Lincolnshire is just a county or two over. Peace and 'mean' food sounds perfect. :)

• I like it mate .I have a similar van for my main mode of transport.. All full of shite for work thought, nothing worth nicking. If soeone did break in they would probabaly think "what the fuck is all this dirty old buckets and shit)
    The only thing that looks off is the shamnic steering lock but . Hippy construction worker is not a new concept. All the best to you brother.
    Grand job.
    I will have a tea if i see you at a fesy. Cheers.

• Quote from Kristen

At the minute...I'm relying on hot water bottles! If it's really really cold, there's my little camping stove, but that is far from ideal. I think my van is too small for a burner really, and since I may be selling her at the end of the year, I'm loathe to start cutting chimney holes in her.
    What other options are there? I was looking at paraffin heaters, but read that they put a lot of pollutants and nastiness in the air?

I should be setting up a charge splitter + leisure battery in a few weeks so will have some spare electricity to play with.
    12 volt sound system is my first priority, but then perhaps some sort of electric heater might be viable?

Camping stove for heat =bad. I'm not sure what the options are in little vans though..arent electric heaters quite power hungry? as well as being very 'dry' heat,which might be uncomfortable..

What do other people use?

(love your abode by the way :D)

• Woah, that thing looks like it means serious business. Looks more expensive than my van! Surely having something like that on there makes it really look like there's something worth stealing though? There's nothing between the cab and the back, so a simple brick through the window would negate whatever lock I put on there, but I do like the idea of some sort of internal reinforcement - particularly of the rear doors.
    Also, a hidden isolator switch sounds like a fantastic idea. Will be investigating that immediately.

Last time I saw one in a hardware store it was about 10-15 quid... Not cheap, but manageable. You could mount it on the inside, for stealthiness and safety when you're inside. Nobody would see the lock, but they wouldn't be able to get past it either. You could lock it and exit through the front doors. People who are after power tools usually don't do windows, since usually a tile-cutting table or any other stuff that needs a van to carry around won't fit through a window.. On the other hand, some people are quite thick, so don't bet on it...

An electric heater powerful enough to make a difference would only get you at most 2-3 hours of heat with a good big battery. No vehicle is too small for a woodburner, since if you're building it yourself (quite easy if you're into diy) you can make it any size, even just burning toothpicks.. If you don't want a permanent installation, you could have a piece of sheet metal that would "hang" on the door frame in the front, over the window which would be open behind it, with a hole through which you can get a chimney pipe out and up. The pipe could go kind of diagonal from the stove to the hole, so it can keep safety distances from anything near it. Totally "unstealthy" but would keep you warm..

• An electric heater powerful enough to make a difference would only get you at most 2-3 hours of heat with a good big battery.

I agree! Another thing to consider is the 12v/240V thing. I think most 12V heaters have a low wattage which in turn means not very much heat at the end of the day. (Now I don't understand much about the electrics on our van, but i did learn through trial and error that a heater with a low wattage means not very much heat...)
    a 240v heater with a reasonable wattage would require an inverter which is a whole other kettle of fish.The higher wattages would also drain your battery much faster.
    What about gas heaters? SOmething like this: http://www.busyoutdoors.com/sh…-gas-heater/prod_460.html
    You'd just need to wary about CO.

• Nice van mate . I think a sticker with WARNIG MAD HIPPY LOOSE INSIDE. should ward of most. i also now of one van with spent 12bore cartridges laying on the dash the owner hates guns but found them on a walk in the country. and put them there as a warning make my day. Danny