Gipsies Trash Police Helicopter

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• The base of the argument for just missing kids I agree would be over the top. But like the rest of the service it is used for far more than just looking for a mispa. Given a mispa will take P1 over other issues and you get redirected to an area for that search for a child / vun mispa.

LOL Sorry mate!! mispa = missing person, P1 = priority response job with blues and tones, vun mispa = vunrable missing person

If you are on foot then perhaps you matched the description, the descriptions can be very vague at times! -LOL- I was not on that job so it is impossible to say.

• Quote from James

To you they do not seem to justify the results but to the Police Authority and the people they do save and crime they do solve and assit in then they do.

I may be wrong on this,but from reading 'financial savings' reports it seems the cost efficiency is calculated by comparing helicopter response to other responses..eg its cheaper to send a chopper than cops on the ground.Whether they actually find/catch/prevent seems irrelevant,which is a bit odd.

• I may be wrong on this,but from reading 'financial savings' reports it seems the cost efficiency is calculated by comparing helicopter response to other responses..eg its cheaper to send a chopper than cops on the ground.Whether they actually find/catch/prevent seems irrelevant,which is a bit odd.

Yes you are wrong but thats okay, you are just now looking into it and I have been fighting with Police Authorities for years. They are the accounats if you like and they hold the budget. They look at things like a finace department would. The ACPO team then goes back and says why it needs it based on crime etc and speed and so on and so forth.

This sort of goes back to the 'direct action' you see it is counter productive as ACPO will say we need a big fence for the chopper. PA will say how much? that much!! oh no no no no -lots of pen pushing and head shaking- then a chopper gets trashed = oh okay here is that budget you asked for last year ACPO...oh thank you very much! :thumbup:

• This sort of goes back to the 'direct action' you see it is counter productive as ACPO will say we need a big fence for the chopper. PA will say how much? that much!! oh no no no no -lots of pen pushing and head shaking- then a chopper gets trashed = oh okay here is that budget you asked for last year ACPO...oh thank you very much! :thumbup:

But until the chopper is repaired its a bit of peace and quiet for all concerned ;) And then of course, once the fence is built, they can lob molotovs over it :reddevil:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• The base of the argument for just missing kids I agree would be over the top. But like the rest of the service it is used for far more than just looking for a mispa. Given a mispa will take P1 over other issues and you get redirected to an area for that search for a child / vun mispa.

LOL Sorry mate!! mispa = missing person, P1 = priority response job with blues and tones, vun mispa = vunrable missing person

I'm sure its existence is justified, but what I'd question is the extent to which it's used and the fashion in which it's used. For example....

If you are on foot then perhaps you matched the description, the descriptions can be very vague at times! -LOL- I was not on that job so it is impossible to say.

Following someone from the air, at night, with a spotlight is hardly a proportionate and reasonable response to a vague description.

• Quote from James

Yes you are wrong but thats okay, you are just now looking into it and I have been fighting with Police Authorities for years. They are the accounats if you like and they hold the budget. They look at things like a finace department would.

So I'm not actually wrong..its just only part of the story?

The ACPO team then goes back and says why it needs it based on crime etc and speed and so on and so forth.

But based on those results how do the ACPO justify them? The occasional time theyre useful versus the numerous times theyre not seems like a poor argument both financially and tactically.

• I'm sure its existence is justified, but what I'd question is the extent to which it's used and the fashion in which it's used. For example....

Following someone from the air, at night, with a spotlight is hardly a proportionate and reasonable response to a vague description.

It very much depends on what that person is suspected of doing I guess. But then it was pure guess work on my part as to why it followed you. Perhaps they found out you run UK Hippy!!! The net is closing in man, it's closing in!! :hippy:

• So I'm not actually wrong..its just only part of the story?

But based on those results how do the ACPO justify them? The occasional time theyre useful versus the numerous times theyre not seems like a poor argument both financially and tactically.

It depends on what it is being used for and saving life is a VERY high priority for the police. Much like the air ambulance, it costs a fortune but gets there quicker. A lot of crime is about speeding cars and they do kill a lot of people, if the chopper can track them and mobilise ground troops to position to stop it going to a residental area then it works. As you can see from the list there are many reasons that it is brought out same as a patrol car, many times it will be NFA (no further action) or high vis patrols, they do have an effect as we get the crime numbers and job calls. So less job calls means less crime figures. It can get a tad political from there. But there are many many factors that govern the use of things and how that works in the team. No arrests does not mean that it's function was not a result, it depends on the intel that they are working on. Wow this is hard to do and not use acronyms! ;)

• But it is an interesting point that perhaps people think we are 'The Bill' and everything comes to a neat little closure in 30 mins or hour, not sure how long it is on for. Life is not like that and the bad guys do not always get caught. You have an underfunded, understaffed police service, constricted with more and more legislation but we do our best and I was watching G.

Odd film with Mr Murphy telling a tale about a girl that was throwing starfish back in the sea. why? when all these others will die, it will not make a difference. The girl said to this ONE it makes a difference. I kind of liked that and went back off to work.

and yet there are always plenty of police to harrass motorists....