Buy a Dog Get one killed

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Every year over 10 million Cat and Dogs are kill in shelters, mainly due to not being able to find them homes. Alot of these animals could be save by just adopting instead of buying animals from breeders. A third of animals in shelter are purebreeds, because only 1 out of 10 animals are kept by "OWNERS" for life.

So if you buy from breeders what are you funding?

Weather you buy from a big breeder or a small breeder this what you pay for.
    The euthanasia of a shelter dog that could of had a home.

Cruel treatment in the breeding process, mothers and young.

Adding to the pet over-population problem.

Causing un-needed stress to animals.

Exploitation of life.

SO Buy a dog you kill a dog....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…k&feature=player_embedded

• :rolleyes:

• i`m not a dog lover myself, yet i still have had 2 , both from shelters, one a weimeraner and a lakeland terrier...i dont really like pedigrees, they always seem to have something wrong with them..
    i have a cat now, well 2 really if you count the one that adopted me.
    Shelters are really the best way to give a good life to an animal...

• my mum used to say pedigrees had problems due to inbreeding or something..

cause they will breed close relatives which are pure breeds.

we have had 4 dogs, and we would never buy one =]

we always gets them from friends who are giving them away or shelters.

• yeah i would have loved to have got my dog from a shelter but the only one open to us was the rspca and they turned us down so we had no option but to go for a local small breeder one day i hope to be accepted by a shelter and by then i also hope to be in a position to rehome lots of shelter animals. we moved and tried to rehome a cat from the rspca but again we got turned down however this time we decided not to get a cat at all if we couldnt rehome one............. so its not that we didnt want to or didnt try we just werent accepted and the worst bit werent even told why!!!

it is impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing my baby in a tattoo style mei tai!!!

• ditto what witch evanna said..
    we havent been turned down by recuse centres, but a lot of people do get turned down, and the RSPCA criteria is really strict..
    I realise that they have the animals best interests at heart, but if they would relax just a bit, then more animals would find loving homes..

• SO Buy a dog you kill a dog....

... So what of the dogs already born to breeders, don't they have the right to life?

I can kinda see your point, but the comparison you're making sounds like the typical bleatings of sensationalist media rather than offering any practical solution ... especially as rehoming shelter animals often comes with its own set of difficulties. (animal health, cost, etc.)

Also, you're blaming the people who buy pets, when the blame lies on the breeders themselves - sanctimonious guilt tripping rarely works and merely alienates people instead - which you seem to be doing quite nicely ;)

• ... So what of the dogs already born to breeders, don't they have the right to life?

I can kinda see your point, but the comparison you're making sounds like the typical bleatings of sensationalist media rather than offering any practical solution ... especially as rehoming shelter animals often comes with its own set of difficulties. (animal health, cost, etc.)

Also, you're blaming the people who buy pets, when the blame lies on the breeders themselves - sanctimonious guilt tripping rarely works and merely alienates people instead - which you seem to be doing quite nicely ;)

:clap::thumbup:

• sanctimonious guilt tripping rarely works and merely alienates people instead - which you seem to be doing quite nicely ;)

I completely agree, Generally speaking people don't enjoy being preached at.
    My dog came from a rescue centre originally but i got him from his previous owner who couldn't cope with him, we'd been turned down twice by the RSPCA and we were never told why either.

• It's a bit like blaming global warming on anyone who buys a telly ... It's not the consumer's fault that the telly comes with several tons of packaging, but the people with the power do very little to stop the problem being passed down the chain.

Also, I'd like to see a reference for this ...

A third of animals in shelter are purebreeds, because only 1 out of 10 animals are kept by "OWNERS" for life.

As it doesn't really reflect my own experience of pet keepers (one of which I am not).

• Just a thought if you don't buy from breeders what will happen to their dogs, maybe end up in the same place as the rest of unwanted dogs.
    Its a no win situation methinks.:insane:

• Just a thought if you don't buy from breeders what will happen to their dogs, maybe end up in the same place as the rest of unwanted dogs.

this bloke had a litter of bull terriers.. he was asking £350 for each of them..(he offered matty one when we were looking for a puppy) he had bred them to make money.. he sold one, maybe two, and the rest ended up in dog rescue, where they will be hard pushed to find homes, because of the breed, and because the rescue centre wouldnt home them with children (:rolleyes:).. all because of some greedy arsehole tosser..:mad: (stomp stomp stomp)

(incidentally, we eventually got Lily (a mini bull terriorist/ russell cross) from the RSPCA, she was
    rejected by her mum, and so therefore hand reared.) and our other soon to be dog, is from hearing dogs..

• - sanctimonious guilt tripping rarely works and merely alienates people instead - which you seem to be doing quite nicely ;)

so true. even the title of this thread got my back up even before i'd read it, which is a shame.

the point you are making, i guess is that breeding dogs for profit is cruel and its more moral to get a rescued pet. i agree with you there, but there are soooo many factors to consider...finding a rescue animal that would be suitable for my family in particular is almost impossible for instance.

maybe try opening a discussion instead of posting up a judgement, might be more productive.

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• Whilst agreeing that the tone of this thread put my back up, I have to say that going to a breeder should be anyone's absolutely last choice.There are more than enough dogs in this world, and the misery that dog breeder's cause is terrible, inbreeding, bad treatment of bitches that become nothing more than money making machines.If people didn't buy from them then there would be no demand for their 'product'.
    All of my dogs have been rescued,not always through any organisation. There is a place for some screening before dog ownership, we all know of the hard man with his hard dog, and what tossers they can be:rolleyes:
    Unfortunately, the RSPCA's attitude can have the wrong effect and drive people into the arms of dealers, as they see this as the only way to get the right sort of dog for them.
    At the end of the day it's no no ones inalienable right to 'own' a dog

no worse normally, espechially if they are hardcore breeders...or puppyfarmers.....u think they go through that much trouble?
    or as mentiond in another thread "greyhound pups that dont make the grade".
    what do you think happens to the "runt" of the litter? dont what some ugley duckling putting potential buyers off, do we now?
    when i was working in the kennels, we had this beautyfull dog called smeagel come in the once. he belonged to some biker dude. and he looked exactly like smeagel. hardley any fur, oviousley the runt of the litter.
    but a beautyfull temprament. says alot for the owner and the dog!:)

i have allways thought they should make it alot harder for ppl to breed dogs. like you know if that is what you are planning to do, you need to obtain a licence first or something.
    i dont know if it is true, but someone told me the once apparentley ppl are allowed to "purposeley" breed 2ce, and then you can actually do something about it....but that might bemore to do with paying tax on the money earned. as per usual iven bigger asses, are onley intrested in their share of the cake...make ya wanna scream.

• Whilst agreeing that the tone of this thread put my back up, I have to say that going to a breeder should be anyone's absolutely last choice.There are more than enough dogs in this world, and the misery that dog breeder's cause is terrible, inbreeding, bad treatment of bitches that become nothing more than money making machines.If people didn't buy from them then there would be no demand for their 'product'.

We have a purebred west highland white terrier. The breeders that we got him from are lovely people, and they treat their dogs really well. We wouldn't have bought him otherwise. I know not all breeders are like that, but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush.

He is now 12 years old, has had no major health problems, is as bright as a button (although often in conjunction with stubborn as a mule, as is his wont), and still acts like a puppy.

If you're getting bigger dogs as well, it's important for some people to have hip scores for the parent animals, to try and help keep down the cost of vet bills, and the possibility of only having the animal for a year or 2 before it needs to be put down. Which you won't get with shelters. Obviously.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that more people should adopt animals to give them a chance at life, I'm just pointing out that not all breeders are bad people. Nor are purebreds always more stupid or prone to disease.

Just a thought.

:hug:

"One cannot see well except with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes" :heart:

• ... So what of the dogs already born to breeders, don't they have the right to life?

Supply and Demand do you understand the concept? Grab your google and use it. Thanks very much my kind sir.

• Being rude to people is just going to make people listen to you even less. There are ways of going about educating people about the truths behind animal breeders and shelters that don't involve accusing people of murdering animals.

• I know not all breeders are like that, but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush.

I am not saying that breeders are all bad people, :D, it just strikes me as odd that people will bring a life into this world for profit,just so that some one can have the exact dog that they want,like ordering a pair of shoes, when there are more than enough dogs in the world already.
    I'm sure that all your breeders dogs are loved by them, but they are a commodity,something that they will make a profit out of, sorry if I sound harsh;)
    *edit* I've had both pedigree and mongrels they've all been 'rescued', lily, our latest, is doing her best to stop me typing this by sitting on my lap and licking my glasses, she can type with her nosebgh, see?

• Our friend has been shown the door due to abusive emails sent to the staff account. This thread is now being closed - which will hopefully demonstrate how setting out to attack people does little to advance your cause (especially seeing as I essentially agree with the point the guy is making, and would be supporting his argument, if he'd bothered being polite. Ho hum).