How would you cope?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Given the (possibly entirely damp and squibby) Flying Pig Flu, the potential for riots in the summer (because despite what the Politicians are saying businesses keep closing), the banks go tits up and you cant access money/your cards dont work, etc..........how well would you cope should the Country go on hold for two weeks?

Note: This isnt about TEOTWAWKI, just a :eek: blip that has the potential to temporarily close normal services (shops, petrol stations, rationed electricity).

How much food do you have in?
    What happens if the water goes?
    Do you have anything to cook on?

For 2 weeks?

Note: no tinfoil ta :D I remember powercuts and empty shelves in the 70's without alien intervention needed ;)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Get a good foraging book and go snare a few grey squirrels.......and get a bundle of sphagnum moss to filter the water out of the local ditches....:whistle:

I've always worked to the theory of not washing any food unless it's obviously dirty then you build up an immunity to germs.....:vomit:

Us Hippy's'll cope .......:hippy:

• We'd probably do ok, got wood to cook on, food stores (just in case:tinfoil:)
    Water would be a problem if it didnt rain :p Would be handy if it didnt happen till the veggies were ready to be dug up though. :whistle:

• Guinea Pig stew all round then :thumbup:

I'll dig out some recipes....:thumbup:

Failing that I think we have enough food for a bit, as for water the river Taff is just down the road and we have plenty of gas cans for the camping stove.....:D

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• I'd struggle :p

My coping strategy would involve a lot of huffing and moaning but ultimately involves sharing the resources of people I know who do life stuff better than me :D

• We'd probably do ok, got wood to cook on, food stores (just in case:tinfoil:)

If something does happen, and all those folks who take the piss want food, I've got a special roll of tinfoil for them as a prezzy :D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• i think i'd go insain i cant handle been in the house for more then 48 hours i have to get out and go to the shops even if i dont buy anything i still like to go out thats if i suvived the first 24 hours with my mum with no coffee but other then that i'm sure we'd be fine :)

• we'd move here :

OR

Here :

Coyote has made us rehearse for just such a situation...we're like coiled springs in this house..wound up and ready to go:insane:;)

seriously, we'd do OK..sea,woods and fields nearby..gun,swords and bow to hand..means of making fire, means of obtaining clean water...though,I'd gripe a lot if i couldn't change my knickers every day & wash my hair:o

• i need to stock up on some tinned stuff but other than that we're sorted :) lots of rivers and brooks close by, loads of us livin in close proximity and a good sense of community for sharing available resources, fuel wouldn't be a problem - big fire in the back yard would sort that out, yeah i reckon we'd be good actually.

• Scotland is not going to run out of water, so that doesn't apply to me, I live surrounded by woods so cooking isn't going to be an issue for us for 2 weeks, and i reacon we keep enough dried food in the house at any one time to last 2 weeks..........long term would be a different story though.

• Coyote has made us rehearse for just such a situation...we're like coiled springs in this house..wound up and ready to go:insane:;)

PMSL, replace the word 'Coyote' with 'Dantes' and we are right there with ya sister :grin:

• i'm nearer than you are:pp...and ,we are in fact, typing this from the battlements...:waves:

Indeed....if you look close at the picture you can see us waving :D

• i'm nearer than you are:pp...and ,we are in fact, typing this from the battlements...:waves:

Now we all know that can't be true, cos castles' don't have power sockets....and your laptop battery is bound to die, sooner or later.;)

Food......We'd live on porridge, baked beans and frozen food as the freezer is pretty full of stuff atm. I have also a secret stash of wispa bars for absolute life/death situations (PMS etc;))

Water.....make a Ray Mears water collecting device for the kids to drink, and I'd drink sloe gin for 2 weeks (I wouldn't be hydrated but I'd be past caring:D

Heating......got an open fire and plenty of wood, and I could throw the odd stick of furniture on if we ran out:thumbup:

• reckon I'd be pretty fine in the shorterm ~ a hermit anyway, so if everybody dies of pigflu, I'll not notice

only 5 mins on to the hill where there's loads of sheepies and bunnies and cows and deer, will borrow a friend if they need shooting ;)

plenty of water nearby, think I'd quite like it actually. be rather peaceful ~ be stuffed if I lived in a city though

• I'd dust down my in depth knowledge of survival tips and techinques i think! Id dust off my old army field cooker, and survive using that and that alone! Drink wise...id boil up my own wee...make a funnel device from some metal and then drink the condensed water from my wee...easy!

Then, with food...i'd sneak into the allotments opposite and 'borrow' some food...althuogh if everyone was in the same boat then maybe id have to think outside the box...i know...i would head over the road to the river and catch me some fishes! :D

• In all honesty,if it was only two weeks people would just moan or treat it as an adventure..like a xmas/new year break without the trimmings.No one would be out shooting animals or surviving 'naturally'.Most people have food in their cupboards and its not the middle of winter so blitz mentality is a bit unneccessary.If it was a whole year itd be a different story and I think community spirit would run out pretty quickly unfortunately.Proper armageddon would be more fun though..no rules no 'societal' consequences,I could dig that :D

• I'd dust down my in depth knowledge of survival tips and techinques i think! Id dust off my old army field cooker, and survive using that and that alone! Drink wise...id boil up my own wee...make a funnel device from some metal and then drink the condensed water from my wee...easy!

That's exactly what The Mears would do in a survival situation:thumbup: but he'd also live off Kendal mint cake and all of the Mars bars stuffed into his army surplus trouser pockets;) He'd also fashion a device for extracting litres of sweat from the underarms of a camouflage military jacket:thumbup:

• In all honesty,if it was only two weeks people would just moan or treat it as an adventure..like a xmas/new year break without the trimmings

You'd be surprised :whistle:

It depends on where in the typical fortnightly shopping cycle such an event happens.....but most folks have little or no reserve.

Proper armageddon would be more fun though..no rules no 'societal' consequences,I could dig that :D

:whistle:

• apparently supermarkets have just a couple of days reserves

• That's exactly what The Mears would do in a survival situation:thumbup: but he'd also live off Kendal mint cake and all of the Mars bars stuffed into his army surplus trouser pockets;) He'd also fashion a device for extracting litres of sweat from the underarms of a camouflage military jacket:thumbup:

Ah yes...i do like the Mears...i must admit to being a student of his ways...more so than Bear who was never even in the proper SAS and says he was...FAKER! lol

Anyways...your right...he would no doubt "fashion" something and then get some moss and use that to live off as well!