No longer Veg*n

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Im posting this, and im pretty scare of the reaction im going to get, if i get a huge oral beating, i'll quietly leave, pleasej just remember its MY DESCION!!!! to eat what I want!!!!

Im thin as it is, and i need protien, waaaaay, more than im getting righ now....im drinking WAAAY less that i was before, which im happy about...im starting to feel healthy again. Im still using veggie/vegan products, but iv eaten fish a couple of times.

Im sorry, but the only person i was letting down was me...and yes, mabye i AM a hypocrite...but again, its my choice.

Ok, i want to say...you can shout/scream/berate/..whatever me....but its ultimatley my choice, to eat what I want.

Ok let the slagging begin.

:patch:

• like you say - you're choice mate!

you gotta do whats best for your health. and well done on the drinking less!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• i'd go for joking mate!

and you aint got anything to be sorry for! it's your life and we dont run it, so therefore you dont need to apologise to us.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from Exedous

Not sure, if your being serious, or joking...

....either way...sorry.

I was seriously joking, but I don't understand why you feel you have to (re?)turn to meat and dairy products to get the stuff that'll keep you fit and well.

Im thin as it is, and i need protien, waaaaay, more than im getting righ now....

Ello mate - I hope you start to feel better soon. You are the third person I know including myself who has turned back to eating some meat because being veggie/vegan hasn't been giving them enough protein. My mate Jay recently started eating meat again and has said he feels loads better and I started to eat meat again last spring after getting too anaemic. I know it is possible to eat a balanced and healthy vegetarian/vegan diet without supplements but it really is a lifestyle commitment that many of us think we can make without actually doing it 100% properly. I wish you all the very best and hope you can manage to put on some weight - not drinking so much will help with that :)

Love n Sunshine
    Sarah XxX

• Guys - with respect, this is a veggie and vegan support forum, not a meat-eater support forum. This isn't the place to be advocating a need for meat in the diet. I was considering locking this thread, but on balance, probably the best thing is if I move it to the 'general chat' forum so the conversation can be continued in the appropriate place. Cheers. :D

• I think one of the main problems with eating meat again for people is worried how others would react!!!!

When I started eating meat when I was veggie the first time I was so scared and thought I was letting people down!!!

Well done for knowing your body and choosing whats best for you thats great, I think with any diet its great as long as you 100% know everything and have a 100% balanced diet which isnt easy to do - sure people can do it but it isnt easy.

I think it might be worth rea-searching free range fish!!!! Not ones from a farm and see about that.

Well done for not drinking much either xxx

• Join the club.You still have the choice of being wholefood omni or junk omni.

I only lasted three weeks as a veg*n. I still continued to eat out at veg*n eateries the main one being Cranks, mostly the original one in Carnaby Street. I think Cranks have shut up shop now?

• I'm firstly glad that this thread was moved & not locked, thx admins.

I firmly believe, as I think most people here do, that your diet is your choice. A place/site like this is not I think a full representation of society, but I'm happy to be here as there are a lot of things & opinions that are discussed here that I feel strongly about & a lot of like minded people, independant of your diet.

There is SUPPORT for hopefully anyone on almost if not every subject that we hit face on during lifes travels. That to me is the best parts of this site, friendship, support, help, advice & encourgement to find your own path.

"Long live UK Hippy"
    :hippy:

• Hi mate. Stop beating yourself up over a well-reasoned choice you have made for your life. It doesn't really matter what any one else thinks of your decision. You're probably not the first person on here to eat something outside of their professed lifestyle choice and I doubt you'll be the last. The fact that it seems to have left you feeling so guilty is the part of most concern. It may be wiser to look at other ways of getting high protein that won't leave you with such a guilt trip. Otherwise, its entirely up to you what you eat. No condemnation from this quarter!

• Yeah thanks for not locking the thread Dok - I wasn't advocating meat eating diet to be fair - I may eat it out of personal necessity not to end up as a white washed-out zombie - but the fact I have to nauseates me daily :) I was just trying to offer exedous a bit of moral support as he obviously feels pretty guilty. I think this thread would be better placed in the health section aswell ? what do you guys think ?

• Ghost dont go asking for our forgiveness... its nothing to do wiht us. as in we all make seperate life choices. I just turned Veggie about 3 weeks ago... i havnt really told anyone except those who needed to know (people ive stayed with who were feeding me)

This is my secons attemp at vegetarianism, the last failed misserably because i had a terrible diet of cheese and potatoes. MY body constantly craved meat and i understand that it needed it at the time.

Now my diet is better i eat loads more and generaylly i was vegetarian any way, hardly ate any meat so it was not so much of a sacrifice. But i needed that time to sort out my body and my head before returning to vegetarianism, that time was over a year.

the point is every little you do counts and if from now on you eat meat with a guilty conciience because you feel bad... then iguess that better than people who have never even considered things before.

Or even better you might start going for non mass produced and mass farmed animals. Food which was caught and killed by a human not a machine, which i know some people here wont find anyh better but to me if an animal has been living wild with no idea of being killed and then a human comes up and kills it becaused he wants to eat it... then thats harsh still.. but nature is harsh. It natural to hunt and kill, its NOT natural to cage creatures in pens and make them live of their own fesies.

sorry i went on a bit of a rant here... but i hope you get what i mean.

Its YOUR choice, and im proud that you are that intune with your body that you understood what itwanted. And i know how strongly your views are held so i know theres no chance you will go back to being as blind to it as a lot of people are. You have your morals, and sometimes its hard to stick to thir rules completely.

For example, i hate land fill sites, i recycle when im at home... however not everything i buy is recycleable.

if that makes sence.

Soryy i'll stop rambling to you now :p

much power and love to you
    Fleassy xox

• Quote from Ma-Crap

Yeah thanks for not locking the thread Dok - I wasn't advocating meat eating diet to be fair - I may eat it out of personal necessity not to end up as a white washed-out zombie - but the fact I have to nauseates me daily :) I was just trying to offer exedous a bit of moral support as he obviously feels pretty guilty. I think this thread would be better placed in the health section aswell ? what do you guys think ?

I'll stick it wherever you want it. Hang on.... let me rephrase that..... :o

Yeah, I know you weren't advocating meat-eating as such, but most veggies would take it as read that nobody needs meat to stay healthy, so a thread suggesting that some people need meat probably doesn't belong in the veggie forum. Also, a thread where someone's looking for support for eating meat probably doesn't belong in the veggie forum either.

Anyway, it's not a judgement regarding anyone's point of view - just trying to find the best home for the thread where it will get constructive replies without upsetting anyone.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

I'll stick it wherever you want it. Hang on.... let me rephrase that..... :o

up ya butt with a coconut :harhar: lol erm - yeah lets move it over to health and wellbeing 'cos thats what is bein dicussed here :) i'll move it when i get home if not already done.

Yeah, I know you weren't advocating meat-eating as such, but most veggies would take it as read that nobody needs meat to stay healthy, so a thread suggesting that some people need meat probably doesn't belong in the veggie forum.

I think it's important to challenge the notion that nobody needs meat to stay healthy.. I can disprove this theory twice myself. Eating meat has a less drastic effect on my bowel than taking iron supplements so eat meat I does...unfortunatley I need to have alot of iron in my body as am naturally deficient and even more so since pregnancy and I cannot get enough from veggie and vegan sources alone. I agree the veggie forum ain't the place though :) My own personal experience is that I have to take supplements or eat meat - iron supplements are expensive and as I said have a very unhealthy effect on my bowel - I become painfully constipated. I'd rather eat meat a couple of times a week and not go through that pain. So personally I need to eat meat to stay healthy - without the iron I become very anaemic to the point where I cannot function normally. It is therefore, IMHO,good to question this notion that nobody needs to eat meat to stay healthy - it's not that black and white.

• Im trying to stick to veggie/vegan food, as much as i can, iv slipped up with the fish eating...{now i know how much i missed it...:topic: }}

Thanks for all your support.

• Quote from Exedous

Im trying to stick to veggie/vegan food, as much as i can, iv slipped up with the fish eating...{now i know how much i missed it...:topic: }}

Thanks for all your support.

and you could try bulking out your diet with more carbohydrates aswell?something else that I thought of is that you could try to eat smaller meals but with smaller gaps inbetween them - maybe up your meal's to 4 or 5 or more a day ? If you are not strictly vegan then there is a fantastic product you can get that should help you put on some pounds - its called Dunns River Nurishment - tis very yummy indeed but Milk based :) It is rich in vitamins and minerals and protein and is more nourishing than a meal replacement shake.

• Protein is generally a lot easier to find on a veggie diet than a vegan diet. I'd suggest avoiding slipping back into meat-eating. Try some dairy for now, then once you've got your health under control you can start to plan your diet a bit better and cut back the dairy again.