leaving the toilet seat up

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Because we can........:pp

Well so can I... ;)

I just don't like being that messy with my piss... 'tis a shame that more men don't feel the same way! It is not a threat to your masculinity to sit whilst weeing... it's just more hygienic! :whistle::pp

• Usually when I flush I keep the lid in the down position when I have done a number 2. Although that film about flushing the loo was funny, it is true about fecal matter being sprayed up when you flush. The shear thought of it makes my skin crawl :vomit:

• Well so can I... ;)

I just don't like being that messy with my piss... 'tis a shame that more men don't feel the same way! It is not a threat to your masculinity to sit whilst weeing... it's just more hygienic! :whistle::pp

The toilet seats are generally designed wrong for a man to sit for a wee, it is possible, but there is a risk of making more of a mess than if he stood up. The seats with a cut out at the front are generally better for this purpose. It is generally known that boys and men tend to piss at a higher angle.

I have sat for a wee a few times, occasionally I have been unaware that my penis had managed to find the gap between the toilet seat and the bowl, meaning that I made one hell of a mess.

• I was actually discussing this with some friends last night and we decided that when the girls move out of the house and it becomes a 'House of Trouser' we will get rid of the seats and lids on all toilets altogether. Who really needs 'em?? Haha

----------------------
    "People who give up their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
    ----------------------

• Orlith's Rules of Toilets:

1/ Lid's got to be left down. Feng Shui or no Feng Shui, it's like leaving doors open. It upsets the nature of the universe. Distant stars go nova wiping out entire civilisations when the lid's left up. This is true.

2/ Toilet roll MUST be replaced on the roller when user finds it empty. IN PARTICULAR, the loose end must be near the wall, and not on the "front" side. This is extremely important - though after 46-years of toilet experience, I'm still not sure why.

2a/ Empty rolls have to go in the bin - though if there's more than one empty roll (!!!) when you arrive in the toilet, you can have a lot of fun by folding one and stacking them inside one another, whilst considering topology and advanced mathematics.

3/ Hand washing. Essential, after number #1's, #2's, and any other numbers the user wishes to reach. Children under the age of 46 must demonstrate sparkly fingers after visiting the toilet.

4/ Avoid losing your memory in the toilet. While it's natural to shout out, when the door handle is rattled, "There's someone in here!", you DO have a name. Use it and thereby personally embrace the empowering, recycling, nature of the cosmos.

5/ Smells and noises. True friends may well say "Dear God has something died in there?" after your visit, but they love you really. Maybe.

• I was actually discussing this with some friends last night and we decided that when the girls move out of the house and it becomes a 'House of Trouser' we will get rid of the seats and lids on all toilets altogether. Who really needs 'em?? Haha

So you dont ever intend to have female visitors then......:whistle:

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• :clap::clap::clap:
    pinching this to post on the wall of my bathroom!

• :clap:

Although I must disagree on a few points raised in the list.

The loose end of the roll should always hang to the front. This is extremely important, I too am not sure why but it just always has been and always shall be, until the day that some carefree alien entity on a planet similar to our own orbiting a distant star similar to our sun decides to ignore rule number one and leave the lid up causing our sun to go nova, super or otherwise. Could happen, not quite sure of the possible mechanism behind such a catastrophe, but hey, I'm no scientist.

I've still got six and a bit years left of mandatory demonstrations of sparkly fingers, assuming the universal observation of rule one prevails. I intend to display sparkly fingers well beyond the age of forty six, perhaps even into my fifties or beyond. I'm guessing that beyond sixty I'll be living a lonesome existance with nobody to demonstrate sparkly fingers to, so personal hygene could probably be put on a back burner by such times.

And the bit about having to state your name when someone is trying to gain entry to the toilet that you are currently occupying. Do you have to apply this initiative in a public convienience? Only in such cases, if I were to say something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, you can't come in, Jeremy is in here", an unwitting member of the general public would naturally assume that there were two people in the cubicle conducting some kind of lewd activity. I do live in Brighton you know.

On the whole though, toilet seat, lid and furry lid cover, always down when not in use. No exeptions, except for the gents' in a pub or club.

Great philosophical thread Perthite! Right up my alley.:thumbup:

• Why dosnt it suprise me that u started this tread, lol :) but i do agree with your point, lol

Taking Life To Seriously? Just Remember We Are Talking Monkeys On An Organic Spaceship.

• The loose end of the roll should always hang to the front.

I think you'll find that toilet paper should always hang under at the back (tphb) and not the front (tphf) and as this is a universally recognised standard method of application there is some science to back it up......:thumbup:

To get the paper to turn requires a certain torque, which comes from the tension in the paper being withdrawn. The greater the distance between the plane of the paper being pulled and the axle support line, the less force is required and the less chance of tearing the paper before you have enough.

:whistle:

• I think you'll find that toilet paper should always hang under at the back (tphb) and not the front (tphf) and as this is a universally recognised standard method of application there is some science to back it up......:thumbup:

:whistle:

Smart arse:whistle:

• Orlith's Rules of Toilets:

1/ Lid's got to be left down. Feng Shui or no Feng Shui, it's like leaving doors open. It upsets the nature of the universe. Distant stars go nova wiping out entire civilisations when the lid's left up. This is true.

Lids down with me as well because of Feng shui although it only applies if the loo is on the left side of the house looing from the front.

• I think that whoever primarily cleans the bathroom gets to decide if it goes up or down.

"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly" ~Sam Keen

• Lids down with me as well because of Feng shui although it only applies if the loo is on the left side of the house looing from the front.

I've got 2 loos (one upstairs at back of house and one downstairs at the front of the house) pointing in different polar directions, so what do I do?
    Leave one up and one down? I don't want my toilets to bring me bad luck!

• I've got 2 loos (one upstairs at back of house and one downstairs at the front of the house) pointing in different polar directions, so what do I do?
    Leave one up and one down? I don't want my toilets to bring me bad luck!

Well, you don't offer the eastward pointing one to Muslims, apparently.

• That makes no sense whatsoever, I'd go as far as to say that it is complete nonsense. Which scientific paper did that come from? How can pulling from one side be any different from pulling from the other?

One possible reason for hanging the paper away from the wall is to make for better accessibility of the loose end, particularly for people with larger than normal hands. Thus the chances of accidental hand contact with the toilet wall, which we all know to be home to a multitude of germs, is significantly reduced.

I think it looks better aswell.:whistle:

• Which scientific paper did that come from?

The Toilet Paper Users Journal (Scientific Studies Report) - May 2007 edition....of course:pp

One possible reason for hanging the paper away from the wall is to make for better accessibility of the loose end, particularly for people with larger than normal hands.

Goodness, just how large would their hands have to be, for it to be a problem of accessibility:rolleyes:

Thus the chances of accidental hand contact with the toilet wall, which we all know to be home to a multitude of germs, is significantly reduced.

But you'd be touching the unused toilet paper at the front with your hands, when you needed to rip some off, therefore contaminating the remaining paper on the roll.

I think it looks better aswell.:whistle:

That's as maybe...but I think it looks really untidy rolling down the front, and always feel the need to alter it if someone has incorrectly placed it on the roller;besides Andrex puppies and playful cats have better access to it when it is dangling down the front and surely that would be a waste of paper unless of course, you were making an advert.:D

• The Toilet Paper Users Journal (Scientific Studies Report) - May 2007 edition....of course:pp

God, that is so two years ago, there are more recent studies you know.

Goodness, just how large would their hands have to be, for it to be a problem of accessibility:rolleyes:

Warning: Reveal at one's own risk

But you'd be touching the unused toilet paper at the front with your hands, when you needed to rip some off, therefore contaminating the remaining paper on the roll.

You still have to hold the paper still, thus contaminating the remaining paper on the roll, whichever way you mount it.

That's as maybe...but I think it looks really untidy rolling down the front, and always feel the need to alter it if someone has incorrectly placed it on the roller;besides Andrex puppies and playful cats have better access to it when it is dangling down the front and surely that would be a waste of paper unless of course, you were making an advert.:D

Those Andrex puppies are pretty determined little buggers, I don't believe for a moment that they'd think twice about which way the roll was hanging before grabbing it, unlike us humans apparently.:D

• i mean really, why is this such a big deal? i don't see how we're expected to put the toilet down when there's a even chance the next person coming to the toilet will also want it up, why is it unreasonable to expect a lady to leave the seat up for a bloke?

i guess it is a question of aim

:D

• Believe it or not, my ex used to go mental if the seat was left DOWN! She used it in the down position but it had to be up so that she could make sure the last person had left it spotless before she used it. I am so glad she is my ex!

• You can always tell when you're in a girl's house when you have to physically hold the seat up to have a piss :D

No that seems to happen most places. My conclusion is that all toilet seats are designed/made by man-hating lesbians.

Also. Love the feng shui comment, will start putting the seat down from now on.