Domestic violence - isn't it time someone called cut?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• That made me feel sick... For rather personal reasons....

But I think that is a good thing. For too long now the issue of domestic violence has been swept under the carpet, something that is not really discussed... and it should be. I am not entirely sure if I particularly like the way this has been done... but I do think this campaign is highlighting a very important issue.

• yup, brought back some rather nasty memories for me too..hence the reason why i'm so proud of Pugsley turning around to his father and telling him that his fathers violent views and attitude isn't something he wants in his life :thumbup::)

It's a brilliant advert..I hope it will be shown in schools..too many young girls seem to think a quick 'slap' from a boyfriend is acceptable..attitudes towards their own safety seem to be going backwards not forwards..

• It's a brilliant advert..I hope it will be shown in schools..too many young girls seem to think a quick 'slap' from a boyfriend is acceptable..attitudes towards their own safety seem to be going backwards not forwards..

You forever read of women - not just young girls - being slapped about, and worse, by their partners then, when the police arrive, don't want anything done about it.......unfortunately it sends a bad, "it's an OK thing to do", message to those who would do the slapping ......:(

• what a powerful advert!
    it really hits home. i hope someone who needs to see it, does.
    was wondering if they are going to do one aimed at domestic violence against men? would be a good idea.
    my heart goes out to women in that situation xxx

• Part of it's to do with the 'it'll only make it worse' way of thinking...i think it's left over from bullying at schools TBH. How many of us have had our kids say that to us, or said it to our own parents when they've wanted to go into school to sort it out?

That and lack of faith in the police and court system.

• Part of it's to do with the 'it'll only make it worse' way of thinking...i think it's left over from bullying at schools TBH. How many of us have had our kids say that to us, or said it to our own parents when they've wanted to go into school to sort it out?

That and lack of faith in the police and court system.

also, if i dare to say it, you love the man and keep hoping it will pass/change/be worth it

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• also, if i dare to say it, you love the man and keep hoping it will pass/change/be worth it

Yeah, that too of course. I've had a couple of violent relationships myself...luckily i could give as good as i got (still not good mind!) and it grinds you down 'til you're a shadow of yourself...you really don't have the strength to do anything to stop it. I applaud the women who do find that flicker of realisation and determination and get themselves the hell out of there. I hope more can find it as well. It's bullying, end of.

• Takes me back to a time i took self defence to a whole new level. It's a good advert, very realistic. People on the ouside of these relationships need to be aware of what happens. To help get the victim out of the cycle and away from the tossers who try to ensure they stay "submissive". The more who see this ad, the merrier. Get people talking, sharing, maybe encourage a few silent victims to begin talking about their own hell they feel they can't escape from.

• I like it. It's a situation I'm quite familiar with, and so my feelings are that anything that brings the issue into the public arena for discussion is a good thing. I think Keira Knightley's performance in the ad is really, really good, and I'd like to think that men who have a propensity for violence could be forced to think twice about raising their hand to the woman they live with- although that's probably quite an idealistic hope.

• Quite powerful yes.

I've been around domestic violence for much of my life, and I do think it could encourage a lot of people to try and get out of their situations.

However, I'm not sure using a celebrity works or not :S I know it's a play on the "cut" of the scene, but I don't know if that works. Can someone try and tell me how? Perhaps an iconic and powerful female gives other females encouragement to speak out?

• Perhaps an iconic and powerful female gives other females encouragement to speak out?

When I watched it, I thought they chose her because you know... she's glamorous and clever and successful and someone people look up to... and domestic violence doesn't only affect the stereotypical dowdy, nervous, not-very-bright woman that most people probably see in their minds when they think about the subject. And it plays on the whole behind-the-scene thing: look how smart and confident she is, everything must be perfect in her world - abuse doesn't happen to people like her, it only happens to people who ask for it, etc.

• When I watched it, I thought they chose her because you know... she's glamorous and clever and successful and someone people look up to... and domestic violence doesn't only affect the stereotypical dowdy, nervous, not-very-bright woman that most people probably see in their minds when they think about the subject. And it plays on the whole behind-the-scene thing: look how smart and confident she is, everything must be perfect in her world - abuse doesn't happen to people like her, it only happens to people who ask for it, etc.

Good point :)

• When I watched it, I thought they chose her because you know... she's glamorous and clever and successful and someone people look up to... and domestic violence doesn't only affect the stereotypical dowdy, nervous, not-very-bright woman that most people probably see in their minds when they think about the subject. And it plays on the whole behind-the-scene thing: look how smart and confident she is, everything must be perfect in her world - abuse doesn't happen to people like her, it only happens to people who ask for it, etc.

More this ^^^

I don't really have her down as iconic and powerful TBH.

I wonder how they'd play out an emotionally abusive one? That shit cuts deep just as much...sometimes more :( Of course the 2 often go hand in hand...but it's hard to explain to people when there's no physical damage. :(

• Fuck :eek:
    I maybe should read threads before clicking on links :S

I'm not as convinced as you all seem to be about the effectiveness of this though..dont a lot of victims of domestic violence play it down in their own minds anyway,so seeing this could just as easily make them think 'well,my mans not as bad as that'/its not really the same thing in my relationship?' Ditto the family and friends of victims..

I notice the people whove posted on here have been in violent relationships..past tense.And perceptions are different when youre out of a bad situation..I'm just not sure this advert has anything other than shock value,but then I havent seen the rest of the campaign,so maybe I'm judging it too harshly :S

• dont a lot of victims of domestic violence play it down in their own minds anyway,so seeing this could just as easily make them think 'well,my mans not as bad as that'/its not really the same thing in my relationship?'

You know this. If your exact same scenario isn't played out then you can rationalise it. Not all the time, but a lot, definately.

• Maybe medusa.

With me it's not a case of being in a violent relationship, but seeing them take place. My mother and father were in a very violent relationship, mostly my father but my mother did also do it back sometimes. Being brought up around this has had a major impact on my life, although I doubt they realise this, and I think that the campaign, although good, could have been more effective. I see your point about how people play it down in their heads because they want to believe it's not happening. My mother did that for 9 years, until she finally realised. Maybe this advert will give people like my mother a realisation.

I must say that they aren't bad parents, they were simply two people who didn't connect, who deep down didn't like each other and made each others lives misery. It's different now, and I don't think less of either of them. Mistakes happen. I know that's not an excuse for their behaviour, but still.

• I guess I get confused by the celebrity angle in campaigns like this as well..whos it supposed to be targeting? Wouldnt the storys of *ordinary* women be more powerful/empowering/informative?

Quote from Princesstigermouse

look how smart and confident she is, everything must be perfect in her world - abuse doesn't happen to people like her, it only happens to people who ask for it, etc.

But the flip side of that is,look how smart and confident she is,look at how many resources she has in her life,why doesnt the stupid cow just leave coz shes 'asking for it' by staying :S

Actually the more I think about it the more this advert annoys me,because whats it supposed to achieve? The ad says 'Isnt it time someone called cut' but the obvious person to call cut is the victim..the first time it happens,not the thousandth.Because thats the bottom line in domestic abuse,the victim has to say enough..theres sod all anyone else can do to help until theyve reached that point.So wouldnt it be better to raise awareness of the issues and reasons why women stay/keep going back? Seek to empower women rather than rescue them?

I just think this is more papering over the cracks and not bringing the real issues into the open,so therefore not changing anything,and with the money and exposure they have for it they could have done a much more effective campaign.

For instance..a woman being battered and yelled at,him telling her its all her fault for provoking him,shes worthless/unloveable etc..cut to her picking up the phone to womans aid or whatever..cut to sometime in the future,hes playing out the exact same scene with a different woman,shes in a gentle,supportive relationship.
    Wouldnt that kind of thing start to send a better message than the 'it doesnt matter how 'successful'/intelligent/stylish you are it can still happen to you'? Because erm,yes..and? What do you do then?

God thats got me all ranty now :S

*And yes i know women can abuse too,abusers can change and theres loads of other angles that could be covered,but as its the man bad/woman victim that our society is most 'comfortable' with it seems the obvious place to start to educate people from..and maybe save the lives of some of the people killed every year by abusive partners.

• I wonder how they'd play out an emotionally abusive one? That shit cuts deep just as much...sometimes more :( Of course the 2 often go hand in hand...but it's hard to explain to people when there's no physical damage. :(

I think it would be really hard to make an advert depicting emotional abuse because while you can easily show a person being beaten up and having a visible bruise/bloody nose because of it, and make a reasonably effective prelude to it in a few moments, I can't imagine how you'd be able to really express how emotional abuse works without it being a full-length film because of it's subtlety, as you say.

• The whole point of the CUT advert is to emphasise the fact that domestic violence ISN'T just a subject portrayed in the movies/telly..it carries on into real life,it affects women of all social classes and intelligence...There is a lovely stereotype portrayed in TV /media that it's the dowdy,not very bright women that get beaten...Alongside rape victims,domestic abuse victims are viewed somehow as less of a person and have done something to facilitate the beatings... we don't think or, it is never portrayed that : it is because parents are bad that toddlers have tantrums aged 2 .. It is a childs fault that a parent divorces..People who are mugged obviously asked for it...Your car deserved to have it's tyres slashed by the drunken yobs who walked past it.;)

I have no problem with Keira Knightly being used in that advert..she IS pretty,popular and in demand as an actress...so folks WILL pay attention to it.

Now this would be THE PERFECT advert :
    Johnny Depp *insert attractive,famous man* is shown whispering, over a period of time, into Vanessa Paradis' ear.. he says that she's useless,a bit thick,that she'll never cope without him,if it wasn't for him she wouldn't be able to survive..these whispered jibes are interspersed with him kissing her,being a family man and working hard...
    Then,one evening, she turns around to say NO to some comment he's made.. she does this after we are shown him being shouted at on set/his football team has lost/ he has had a phone call from his bossy father...
    He is then shown slapping her across the mouth and choking her...he cries and say's that he's sorry...He promises he'll never do it again and that he loves her..she knows how hard he works/how emotional he gets over football/has had to put up with crap from his father for years. She is holding him like a mother does a sobbing child,because THAT is how he is acting......and so it continues, like water dripping through a rock..eroding HER self confidence..of course,he is still seen as a nice bloke,good with his kids,hard working...she learns how to put on an act..after all she's an intelligent woman with kids and a good job.....and it's only mousey little thickos that get beaten....

WOULD PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT ?

No, probably not...