Hippy Bus - Heating ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• With all these new topics I'm starting to think we might need a subforum or something :insane:

What have people done for heating? I'm going to have a woodburner and I'm thinking a 5-7KW output job will do it. Anybody got any experience of fitting them? How do you get the flue through the roof and watertight? How can you make it low profile? Do you use a double layered flue? (Don't know the official name). Do any of the canal boat peeps on here have any experience?

• heya
    we doing the same - putting in a narrowboat stove about 6 kw out -
    having tha same prob about flues.... need the flue to go through an outer pipe at the top no need for double lined flue :p may need to make our hole bigger ooerrr...
    we had a stove in the ambulance worked wonders in winter..yumy
    i think a bus and van conversion topic would be fab...
    need to find a flue in one piece too dont want sections..
    kel
    xx

• If i had this....then i have one of these to heat it.

Id rather have a burner that would, heat constant hot water, and be able to cook on, than just to heat up me wagon. Sayin that, iv seen a few decent olde gas bottle burners...with flat tops, welded on, for cooking.

:patch:

• the burner in my caravan had a metal sleave round the top and the hole in the actual roof was cut much larger than neccessary to stop it getting near anything hot.

the burner in the new baby has the flue coming out the side through a steel plate and has a chimney that hooks on the side when parked up and gets taken off when driving.

andy fitted my burner and charlieys so he would be the best one to speak to.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I am going to get a little fan heater that plugs into the ciggy lighter for my spert :) He gonna be well insulated and cozy anyway and will be Charlie's bedroom/space when we are out and about and also where the dogs will sleep if petal continues farting and stealing bed space in the manner in which she has recently :eek: bad luck cheese face :reddevil:
    'Cos we're only gonna really be out and about in the warmer months of the year for now we don't really need to splash out too much and this little heater puts virtually no drain on the battery at all :D

• So far I've always just cut a hole in the roof, a wider hole in the interior lining to keep it at a distance from the heat and then put the pipe through with a metal cap on the top to prevent much water getting in.

Sealant (often fire putty) put around where the chimney goes thru the roof, often needed a quick redo.

I also have a gas fire, plumbed in, for quick heat or when I'm somewhere where I can't get away with a smoking chimney.

Once I got pulled up in London cause the officer was suprised to see smoke coming out of the roof, the fire had rekindled itself:whistle:

My current bus also came with a diesel heater, needs maintanance though, I'm not sure what's wrong with it yet.

• Quote from Exedous

If i had this....then i have one of these to heat it.

Id rather have a burner that would, heat constant hot water, and be able to cook on, than just to heat up me wagon. Sayin that, iv seen a few decent olde gas bottle burners...with flat tops, welded on, for cooking.

I would seriously reccomend avoiding that particular vehicle - something doesn't feel right. This is the second time its come up in six months and the latest owners haven't managed to MOT it. these ones come up regularly on ebay so I'd hold on for one thats not got as many potential surprises.

I agree with the hot water front. However..... I'm adding an oven as I dont want to heat the van when cooking or boiling water in the summer.

Bottle burners are really good. Depends how much cash you've got floating about as for 100-140 you can get something with a lot better flame control

• I've heard about some sort of high temperature goo you can get for sticking to exhaust pipes - hoping that might do the trick? I'd like to think I can get some more definitive answers from us lot :D

I was tempted by diesel heaters myself until I saw the cost. BTW I'm on about diesel hobs rather than eberspachers which cost a fortune in maintenance if they go wrong!!!

• Quote from crap muppet

I would seriously reccomend avoiding that particular vehicle - something doesn't feel right. This is the second time its come up in six months and the latest owners haven't managed to MOT it. these ones come up regularly on ebay so I'd hold on for one thats not got as many potential surprises.

Cheers muppet...iv been thinkin bout it...if i did have the readys, i wouldnt go for it. Im just a sucker for old Bedford horseboxes.....Ahh just like buses, ther'll be another along soon.

• I've got a propane powered, propex heater. A new one is about £400 so bloody expensive, but good for an old vw or anything that hasn't got its own heat source. You can sometimes pick up second hand ones for about £200.

You can safely use it while you're driving as it blows the fumes out of an exhaust underneath.

• Barrel Cast Iron multifuel woodburning coal stove - 7KW

Would this be to big? - I've seen somebody local selling them for just over a hundred quid. Its a functional design with hotplate and its multifuel which are definite plusses.

or this one which is slightly lighter - weight always being an issue in a van!

Ideally I'll hunt one down secondhand but I'm comparing options or whats available size/weightwise

• Quote from Milo

I'm a total advocate of woodstoves, but here's a diesel alternative.

I like the first link. Not a fan of ebers - most people I know that have them have said they are great when they work but cost a fortune when they go wrong as the company keeps an extremely tight hold on the supply and pricing of spare parts. D5W's can be good with a calorifier though - saves having to use a seperate system for heating and hot water

• Quote from crap muppet

I like the first link. Not a fan of ebers - most people I know that have them have said they are great when they work but cost a fortune when they go wrong as the company keeps an extremely tight hold on the supply and pricing of spare parts. D5W's can be good with a calorifier though - saves having to use a seperate system for heating and hot water

DSWs? Calorifier?

• Quote from Milo

DSWs? Calorifier?

Basically the eberspachers do a range of heaters - the D5W being the most regularly used. What they do is they burn diesel to create heat. obviously the diesel fumes are toxic so they expell that out of an external exhaust. what the heat does do is heat a closed water loop. This is normally part of the radiator system in diesel vehicles as it allows you to pre warm the engine and therefore make it easier to start. The hot air comes from blowing cold air over the hot pipes in this system (Just like the hot air you get in a car). The pipes are hot either from the Eber OR the engine (It runs through the radiator remember!)

What a calorifier does is transfer the heat from these pipes to another body of water. Its basically like an electric emersion boiler only you use the pipe as opposed to an electric element. You can actually get calorifiers that have both the pipes and an electric element.

Hope that makes sense? (I need to put together some diagrams to explain it really)

• I have an eber but it does not run via water pipes as I have none......vechicle is aircooled Mine just sits in a small can on top of spare wheel at the front....agree deisel is not the best fuel (van it self runs on lpg)but in two years I have only used about 2 litres of fuel

• Quote from Irish Hippy

what about these guys ?
    whats the verdict?
    Peace and Love:hippy:

Look cool - I like them. I wish they would say how many KW of energy they pump out though!