Council Tax

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well it replaced poll tax ... but is it really any fairer?

Of course, it depends on the way the bill is shared out, but 1 or 2 people living in a small house can often end up paying more than 3 or 4 people living in a large house. Even though they use less services and may have a lower income.

Then, just like the poll tax, local councils decide on the rate ... so a wealthy borough that raises all it's revenue from parking fines etc. can get away with charging far less than a poorer borough that needs the money.

So ... why the hell aren't we out there turning over cars and demanding a truly fair system? I wonder if it's because it doesn't affect teenagers so much and they're the ones more likely to make a noise?

• Quote from Paul

So ... why the hell aren't we out there turning over cars and demanding a truly fair system? I wonder if it's because it doesn't affect teenagers so much and they're the ones more likely to make a noise?

Nah. It's coz the poll tax had to be paid by everyone. So even those on the dole and a low income were paying 20%. That's why there were riots over the poll tax.

I think local income tax would be the fairset solution.

• Quote from Paul

I refused to pay mine for years ... I can't remember how much it was but I knew it was discounted.

They caught up with me in the end and took it out of my dole money ... about 2 years after it was scrapped.

They came onto our nice little site and tried to encourage us to pay occasionally....

Now that was always entertaining!:D

• I feel so lucky to be living in Ireland right now. No poll tax, no rates. The level of income support for a single person is about equivalent to £100 per week, with extra in the winter. A single parent on benefit can earn 140 euros a week before losing any benefit. There are really good schemes to help people back to work, and excellent courses near us in Irish Music, Outdoor Pursuits, Art etc. all giving a grant of about £400 a month with extras for people with dependents/rent to pay. And no talk of identity cards. Yet I think we're supposed to have a more 'right wing' government than the UK. Still, the health service is terrible - they're about 30 years behind UK in attitude and technology. I suppose you can't have it all!

• Unfortunately they don't seem to be so friendly with all the traveller types in Ireland. I reckon we club together and take over some greek Island to live on :D

(When was the last time Crete changed ownership? :madlol: )

• well, i've often suggested we dig a deeper trench along the Tamar River..and float cornwall off...we can drop anchor somewhere warm:D
    i'm sure the Greeks won't notice an extra island;)

• Quote from Paul

Pensioner sent to prison for not paying council tax hike:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4280040.stm

I hate that bloody woman.. :whistle:

If she starts protesting about the licence fee that we all have to pay for..we are all monitored [and sent letters out to--well i was when i bought mine from Dixons] [BIG BROTHER COMPANY] ..

WE all would have to go to PRISON if we did not pay it..

Even if your house has ONE aeriel and there are 6 people living within it..

Thats 6X £131=786... going on crap that i hardly watch..

If anarchy broke out over THAT... I WOULD BE OUT TURNING OVER CARS.

"One of the pensioners I've talked to described her as the council tax equivalent of Emily Pankhurst or the Tolpuddle Martyrs.
    "That is how she is being perceived by people down here, where her plight has been recognised for some time."

:eek:

• we have just recieved our council tax bill for this year £995 that works out at almost £91 pounds a month
    last week i phoned the council to come collect a mattress and an old table we were throwing out
    there response was "youll have to wait up to 6 weeks and im not sure if we take mattresses ant more" duh
    wtf am i paying for .....the roads are diabiolical theres hardly any facxilities were i live
    a bag of crap
    ill be contributing to some fat cat councillor to go to the costa brava for his bloody hols

• Quote from sensamelia

ill be contributing to some fat cat councillor to go to the costa brava for his bloody hols

That's not entirely fair. I agree council tax is too high (mine's just tipped over the £1k mark), but only a tiny fraction goes on councillors' salaries.

Roughly 40% of your council tax is spent on education, 10% on housing benefits, 20% on social services, 15% on the police. They're the real expenses - not foreign holidays.

Maybe a couple of pence on your council tax goes towards salaries. Big deal. Personally, about £400 of my council tax goes towards educating other people's children. How many kids have you got again? ;)

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Maybe a couple of pence on your council tax goes towards salaries. Big deal. Personally, about £400 of my council tax goes towards educating other people's children. How many kids have you got again? ;)

i have 7 kids doc two of whom im home schooling
    my hubby works for him self and pays his taxes ....lots of taxes
    maybe that was a little flippant of me but it does get you mad when you pay all this money to the council and you cant even get them to collect a little bit of rubbish

incidently the school my children went too and that my youngest attends is a council school
    they are struggling and regularly hold fundraisers to buy equiptment

• exactly
    my house is an ex council house we bought it about three years ago have lived in it for about 13
    over the past few years when it was still council we were paying council tax and had endless repairs needed doing on the house
    but you could never get them to come out
    it was so annoying
    we needed a new bath for about 12 mnths and thier excuse was there wasent enough money left in the pot
    so we ended up buying one for our then council house
    this is why we decided to buy
    we can now do as we please and its ours at the end of it

so councillors and council tax .......ggggggggggrrrrrrr

• I'm not registered for council tax now as i've no proper address. I use my sisters as a care of and thats it. Living on the canal we dont get most of the services- bins, street lights etc. We pay BW a licence fee for these services. We can of course still call the emergancy services and my kids are stiil at school but live with my ex and she pays her council tax. With all i've paid and continue to pay in income tax, VAT and council tax in the past I'm pretty sure i've paid my fair share for anything i'll ever get back. It does seem to be the thing that pisses most of my house dwelling friends though- paying it. Even more than income tax and vat!

• Well, I'm glad I'm in Band A.

From The Green Party:

LOCAL TAXATION
    Our long-term policy is to abolish the Council Tax and replace it with a system of taxing land values at a local level. This would help to encourage full use of existing properties, and penalize those who hold empty land or property for speculative purposes. Given the current housing crisis, this would be an important tool, and, being land-based, it is ideally suited for being set and collected at a local level.
    We would also set up an Independent Commission to Oversee Central Redistribution in order to ensure that central government doesn't squeeze local authority funding so as to take credit for keeping general income tax levels low.
    As a transitionary move towards a Land Value Tax, the Green Party would reform Council Tax by:
    · ending reductions for underused properties (with the exception of the single person occupancy discount for pensioners).
    · creating new Council Tax bands for more expensive properties.
    · Reforming the multiplier rates to make bills more proportionate to the value of the property. This could reduce Council Tax bills for 80% of dwellings, with particularly significant reductions for those in the lowest value houses. It would consequently ensure that the Tax better reflects an ability to pay.

• Would you beleive it! I moved at the start of December and called up to notify them of change of address. They said the system was being upgraded so they would take the details but could only update the new system in January.

It transpires that they have continued charging me. I called them up today and after being in a queue for 30 minutes I finally got hold of somebody. Turns out they must have ignored the information as our address doesn't exist according to there records ;).

I have a cheque going to a 'care of' address (Quick thinknig and much negotiation on my part) to the tune of the overpayment and I will wait and see what happens with this address.

The main problem they have if they want to inspect the property and get it on the councils books is that it could be one of over 100 unmarked doors! (Postcode map isn't particularly accurate). I will wait and see what happens...

Thank god the postie knows who we are!!!

• When i sold my house to move onto canal/road i rang to tell the council and they were well snotty. She asked where i was moving to and i said just out and travelling and i've no forward address. She got well stroppy and demanded i tell her or she wouldnt close the acount!!! I couldnt believe it i only rang to be curtious. I ended up saying well please yourself and just come and fuckin find me then and left it at that. I could of been emigrating to bloody oz or whatever.