Gardening...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have just spent all afternoon in me garden :D As we now can live in this house indefinatley :woohoo: we have decided to grow our own veggies this year so we've been buzy turning an overgrown shrubbery into a veg patch :)
    I've got cauli's, broad beans, sweetcorn, tomatoes and 5 different herbs all starting to sprout in propagators on the kitchen windowsill and this week dug the vegetable plot into a U shaped deep bed with a gravel path up the middle :D
    We've fenced the whole lot with recycled chicken wire and fence posts from a farmer we know and today I dug about 20 litres of farmyard manure into the soil to condition it. Si made a lovely gate from blown down bits of willow and a bit of wood we found at the back of the garden and it all looks very Good Life like out there now :D
    I even weeded out the bed along the front path and discovered that our strawberry plants from last year have done fantastically over the winter months and looking very very strong. Have planted the rest of the bed with rosemary, lavender and a little bamboo that was struggling in its pot. I have even put up my cane teepee's ready for the pea's and broad beans.
    What a thoroughly enjoyable day :D
    Anyone else been out in the garden today enjoying the sunshine ? What did you get up to?

Love n Sunshine
    Sarah xxx

• Hi Ma, yeh we are at it too. I was sowing Peppermint whilst you were cultivating your patch. So far we have planted our Garlic and Onions and a few peas and radishes. Will sow some Chamomile later :D We've had a cold north wind holding everything back but looks like its changing at last. Everything is about to go PING:happydanc Happy gardening.:flower:

• We don't have a garden at the moment, but I'm spending tonight planting snowdrops and bluebells on the kitchen windowsill :D

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• I love gardening, and would spend every day outside if only I didnt have to go to work, and I had someone else to take care of the house and allthat that entails. This year there is a bigger emphasis on flowers (usually its all vegies for family and visiting wwoofers) but I have caught the flower bug from other avid gardener friends and have a growing number of seed trays sprouting babies that need love and attention. Its so exciting to watch, nurture and then the explosions of colour as love is returned a thousandfold

• had planned to do some gardening this afternoon but it has poured down with rain since midday :mad: and this morning it was so lovely!

• i have a massive garden ...........i mean like really huge it goes all round the house my hubby hates gardening so its all left to me
    i must admit its back breaking at times
    but enjoyabe when you reap the rewards

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Lightweight. :harhar:

exactly, why get all wet and cold and tired when i can stay nice and warm in front of a computer :whistle:

• Blooming eck Sarah you put us (me and Stonsey) to shame ... we need to get out in the garden and dig it over too, and get planting... but time is precious right now so gunna do it over Easter!! Mind you the growing season up here, is behind yours in the south... well that is my excuse anyways!! :D

Sometimes I take on just a little to much hehehe!!

• We now have sunflowers, rosemary, lavender, bluebells and snowdrops on the windowsills ... I'd forgotten how much I loved gardening, I think I might pick up some tomato seeds while I'm in town tomorrow as well :D

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Stormypagan

Blooming eck Sarah you put us (me and Stonsey) to shame ... we need to get out in the garden and dig it over too, and get planting... but time is precious right now so gunna do it over Easter!! Mind you the growing season up here, is behind yours in the south... well that is my excuse anyways!! :D

Sometimes I take on just a little to much hehehe!!

hehehe tis a great excuse mate :thumbup: to be honest ave done all this diggin n stuff but still not planted anything outside ;) not 100% convinced we ave seen the last frost yet :whistle:

I think I might pick up some tomato seeds while I'm in town tomorrow as well :D

yummy - you can even get varieties for growin in hangin baskets hun if you are a little short of ground space - cherry tomatoes are good for that :D

• Quote from Ma-Crap

yummy - you can even get varieties for growin in hangin baskets hun if you are a little short of ground space - cherry tomatoes are good for that :D

I was thinking of something like that, they're a really nice thing to take to friends if you end up with an abundance too :D

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Gonna start on me garden tomorrow. College is on strike, so, it a good reason to get into the earth, and tidy up.
    Am going to try and get some more Hawthorn and Hazels, planted..get me wee hedgerow again.

Hmmm Herb seeds...

:patch:

• Quote from Firinne

We now have sunflowers, rosemary, lavender, bluebells and snowdrops on the windowsills ... I'd forgotten how much I loved gardening, I think I might pick up some tomato seeds while I'm in town tomorrow as well :D

Sounds lovely firinne..... I love gardening.... it is my therapy... when I was going through a rough patch a few years ago, and was living in Hastings, I had a blank canvas of a yard type garden, which was really sunny most of the time.. so I laid shingle on the soil beds, and planted up loads and loads of pots....

So I thought I would share some pics with you, as I loved this little garden, and as a single parent at the time, it was my very own little sanctuary....

This is how it started....

and ended up as this ....

• Wow Stormy, that's amazing! You must have been really proud!

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Thanks Firinne, I was :) .... I worked hard on it for a few days in the spring, then kept adding to it over the next few months, and ended up with a beautiful suntrap of a sanctuary, where I would sit and read, listening to my water feature tinkle away, and I even managed to put a hammock up out there eventually, which was great!! It was small but then so was my little seaside cottage, but I loved it so much.. it was the first place I felt at home for a few years. I missed it so much when I moved to Cumbria, although the lake district is divine, and now I think of it with very fond memories.

• I know what you mean, I can't wait until we move so I can have a little garden with windchimes and a hammock to laze in and really settle down :D

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• A no dig garden is very much along permaculture methods... I have dabbled, and very much want to go that way. I remember in an old garden of mine, where I had planted a boarder full of cottage garden medicinal and herbal plants, instead of disturbing the ground by digging, I pulled the weeds out and then mulched it with home made compost. Although, initially it was laborious, after a couple of years it paid off, and I barely had any weeds in it. When you dig, unfortunately you allow the next generation of weeds to grow.

I cant wait to get sorted with this garden. We have some bamboo screening to put up to stop our dogs getting over the wall into the little village school playground next door. Kai has already been down there and brought some of their footballs back hehehe!!:D

• Quote from Firinne

I know what you mean, I can't wait until we move so I can have a little garden with windchimes and a hammock to laze in and really settle down :D

:topic:where you going Firinne ?? have you sussed it yet?? is it Herfordshire or Surrey???

• Quote from Stormypagan

:topic:where you going Firinne ?? have you sussed it yet?? is it Herfordshire or Surrey???

Hertfordshire, Surrey or Cambridge .. it's all a bit up in the air at the moment :rolleyes:

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• I love gardening i just don't have much of a garden to play with :( I have a small front garden but it is really public so i don't like going in it, spent the first time in ages working on it today.

My back garden is about 5m by 15m so not that big and there are two ponds.
    I really want to grow veggies but i don't have the space for a veggie patch so i was thinking about planting veggies in the borders. The one problem i have is that i have two rabbits who have the run of the house and the garden and i'm worried that they will eat everything i plant so I am looking for ideas for cheap fencing that will look nice and keep the bunnies off the borders ??? that or i will have to stop them going in the garden and i think that would make them sad and i'd need to get a lawn mower!

• Quote from Milo

We've a bloody concrete "garden" at present, so I'm inclined to go for a No-Dig Garden.

We've got this kind of setup in our yard. There's two large beds surrounded by bricks, as well as lots of pots, and hanging baskets on the washing line, and trellises so you can grow stuff up the sides of the house. No need to pay for trellises either, you can make one out of old bike wheels.

• Jus been out gardening, got me Oaks re'potted, they are still really small, to young to be planted out, was so good to get them into new compost, and still be able to see the old Acorns.....all very soothing, and live giving. Got me some more herbs...plus a few free cuttings...Will post piccise soon....

Am going to dig up some wild garlic, and plant it out....i reckon, that once it takes hold, then
    it should establish itself,and grow every year...im not greenfingered, i just like gardening.

• Woohoo...its raining....me garden's going to be well happy. Hey, does anyone have any good compost advice?? Im wanting to build me own, but me neighbours are worried bout...rats and mice being attracted.....i reckon that me doigs scent is everywhere, so it should be ok...

Anyway...time to find comfrey, get on with the day.