Quotes that you love!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• A bit from Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms:

"So I went to the jail, now this is the point of the story, and I stood outside his cell and said as though I were going to confession, bless me father, for you have sinned."

• Love a lot
    Trust a few
    But always paddle your own canoe.

Sometimes in life you gotta climb through the briars to reach the meadow.

Life is a rollercoaster,
    just gotta ride it.

3 of my favs :)

• 'are you going out in public like that?'

h, aged 7, when he saw me put my lovely new hat on....

wait till they get to 14..Josh says i look like ''an accident in a hippy shop''

'All fur coat and no knickers'..(for people who are all image and pretending to be what they are not...)

If they were stupid enough to walk away..be smart enough to let them go....(a good reply to a person whose ex suddenly decides to 'have them back' when they realised the replacement wasn't up to much)

• Love a lot
    Trust a few
    But always paddle your own canoe.

Love that one,:)

'I always prefer a free bottle in front of me to a pre frontal labotomy'....attributed to Tom Waits, a man who could make good use of a free bottle.

'A man who has never made a mistake, has never made anything'... Dunno who said it but I quote it often.

• [quote='scarlett','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=897942#post897942']wait till they get to 14..Josh says i look like ''an accident in a hippy shop''

my older two are way past teenagers now.....they just stay silent!!!

• "I'd do it all the same - only louder."

Wild Willi Beckett of the Psycho Surgeons, (when he knew that he was terminally ill), on being asked if he had any regrets

• Void: Voidness is that which stands right in the middle between this and that. The void is all-inclusive, having no opposite - there is nothing which it excludes or opposes. It is living void, because all forms come out of it and whoever realizes the void is filled with life and power and the love of all being.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Carl Sagan. Full quote and context here.

• Theres so many but one of them is,"I would rather die on my feet

than live the rest of my life on my knees"

• "I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. ... The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it. And it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further" - Mark Twain

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• "You see Yevgeny over there, so full of himself now. He used to work in the post office. I introduced him to the proper financing, and now he owns the mines. Yeah, making a fortune. Keeps the miners in line. Good business. You might wonder why I'm not in it myself. I don't need to own the mines, Jonathan. Do you know why? Because I own the man who owns the mines. All he has, I have. Same with the supermarkets, the TV station, locomotive plant. I don't need a political position, because I own the men who do."

– Rollerball - not sure which version (I've only seen the original and that was ages ago, but I love the quote..)

• 'Hope is not a method and luck is not a strategy.'

(It's a bit management new-speak but reminds me of one of my gran's favourites which was 'you make your own luck')

• I'm reading a biography of physicist Paul Dirac. There are some great quotes from the famously terse and literal man.

I was taught at school that you should never start a sentence without knowing the end of it.

Oppenheimer, they tell me you are writing poetry. I do not see how a man can work on the frontiers of physics and write poetry at the same time. They are in opposition. In science you want to say something that nobody knew before, in words which everyone can understand. In poetry you are bound to say... something that everybody knows already in words that nobody can understand.

• Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars — mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is "mere". I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination — stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern — of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?