My 'motorhome....''Rolling Thunder !'

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• 'Shoe box' sorta comes with the territory,usually :p I'm in a 30ft bus because shes still my sons home too, but shes too big for just me and itd freak me out to live on something as huge as youve got.Different strokes though aye ;)

And no,I haven't lived on the road before. Call this a 'new phase' in my life. There are 'reasons' why I'm moving to this sort of lifestyle (which I won't go into here). As for parking, again given my job, I won't have any trouble finding somewhere to park.

Thats a whole different lifestyle than most of us have..are you planning on finding long term park ups,or just trusting people wont have a problem with you parking up because of the vehicle?
    What job have you got?Is it hgv parks youre looking to go to?

Sorry for all the questions..and I'm not trying to be a wet blanket,just interested coz I've never known anyone live in something that big,or not have to worry about finding park ups..

• 'Shoe box' sorta comes with the territory,usually :p I'm in a 30ft bus because shes still my sons home too, but shes too big for just me and itd freak me out to live on something as huge as youve got.Different strokes though aye ;)

Thats a whole different lifestyle than most of us have..are you planning on finding long term park ups,or just trusting people wont have a problem with you parking up because of the vehicle?
    What job have you got?Is it hgv parks youre looking to go to?

Sorry for all the questions..and I'm not trying to be a wet blanket,just interested coz I've never known anyone live in something that big,or not have to worry about finding park ups..

Parking.....Well,if I find work in a particular location and it's good,then I'll stay there for as long as it lasts or until I get fed up. If you're working for a transport company,most of em will have large yards where they will let you park up. Most industrial areas have their little 'nooks and crannies' where you can hide something like my rig. I wouldn't be parking in services,these days especially,because of the so called 'parking management' and clamping lot. It's pretty bad in some areas,even when you have to stop for a 'legal' break',so those places are out for long term parking. There is a site / forum called 'Wildcamping.co.uk'...I think that's right....that might give you more of an insight as to what I'm thinking.
    Generally tho',I don't think that you would get as much hassle,with something as big as my rig,as you might with say..a transit minibus or such. The cops and suchlike know that you can't park a full sized artic just anywhere,so they won't hassle you too much (I hope anyway).

Oh and my job is (was ?) a HGV class 1 driver....mostly for royal mail,via an agency. It's absolutely dead at the moment !
    Does that help ??

• Generally tho',I don't think that you would get as much hassle,with something as big as my rig,as you might with say..a transit minibus or such. The cops and suchlike know that you can't park a full sized artic just anywhere,so they won't hassle you too much (I hope anyway).

sorry to piss on your parade mate, but i think you're being a bit optomistic.

as soon as you try n live in anything other than a house you get hassle!

(just done my fifth winter on the road and next summer will be my seventh summer on the road so unfortunately i am talking from experience.)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Have to agree with Stardust..dont see how your job actually helps with park ups,and wildcamping seems a bit of a stretch for something that size..

Be interesting seeing if youre right though ;)

• wildcamping is a bit of a stretch in something my size, and thats about the smallest bus you can get!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Well,we'll see won't we ?? It's not going to stop me....

go for it mate, i wish you loads of luck

What sort of trouble have you had ??

i'll come back to this question when i have a couple of hours spare! and i'm a person who likes to stay out of trouble as much as possible. if you wanted to hear the troubles all my mates have had too then i'd need a couple of days!!

What vehicle do you have at the mo'??

the bus just to the left of this post!

The post was edited 2 times, last by stardust ().

• ive worked for a haulage company and as a recovery driver in a yard and jayen4 is right , there are always corners of yards to park in and many yards welcome someone living there as security .
    the issue of police is also relatively straightforward , haulage companies move anything and everything , apart from smoke from a chimney , this could be looked at as just another load for a driver . you see many mobile exhibition units etc on the move .

• ive worked for a haulage company and as a recovery driver in a yard and jayen4 is right , there are always corners of yards to park in and many yards welcome someone living there as security .
    the issue of police is also relatively straightforward , haulage companies move anything and everything , apart from smoke from a chimney , this could be looked at as just another load for a driver . you see many mobile exhibition units etc on the move .

in that case i am very happy to stand corrected!

i've never tried parking up in a haulage yard so i was basing my thoughts on other sorts of parkups.

i'm still not convinced that you'll get away with wildcamping in it though. the most i manage in the bus is about three days till the cops move me on.

• no i dont think you would get away with sitting in a car park for weeks , but overnighting in laybys , industrial estates etc you would be virtually invisible . [ as much as this is possible in a 40ft double decker trailer:D ]

Thanks for your comments Transitluke. Someone who understands where I'm coming from. :thumbup:

I suppose it's a matter of 'perception' as far as the authorities are concerned. When you look at Stardusts bus, for instance, you tend to think 'hippy' (no disrespect intended),but when you look at my massive motorhome,it's a whole different ballgame ! Do you see what I mean ??
    My sort of machine has other advantages too......for me anyway ! If I buy a 'nice' tractor unit to pull the trailer with,I can also get work pulling other peoples trailers (for money)....in fact,I used to do exactly that ! It's called 'traction' work. My unit,their trailers....less to maintain !
    I know what I mean amyway !! lol :D

• Quote from transitluke

no i dont think you would get away with sitting in a car park for weeks , but overnighting in laybys , industrial estates etc you would be virtually invisible . [ as much as this is possible in a 40ft double decker trailer ]

i hadnt thought of that.

my little suzuki is practically invisible wherever i park it, but the bus gets alot more attention and thats what i'm used to!!

• Thanks for your comments Transitluke. Someone who understands where I'm coming from. :thumbup:

I suppose it's a matter of 'perception' as far as the authorities are concerned. When you look at Stardusts bus, for instance, you tend to think 'hippy' (no disrespect intended),but when you look at my massive motorhome,it's a whole different ballgame ! Do you see what I mean ??
    My sort of machine has other advantages too......for me anyway ! If I buy a 'nice' tractor unit to pull the trailer with,I can also get work pulling other peoples trailers (for money)....in fact,I used to do exactly that ! It's called 'traction' work. My unit,their trailers....less to maintain !
    I know what I mean amyway !! lol :D

i totally see where you're coming from in that it doesnt scream 'hippie' at you, and i can see very easily how it could be disguised on an industrial estate.

but wouldnt you want to park up somewhere nicer than an industrial estate?

for me, a large part of the enjoyment of living on the road is the variety of beautiful parkups.

• but wouldnt you want to park up somewhere nicer than an industrial estate?

for me, a large part of the enjoyment of living on the road is the variety of beautiful parkups.

Well,yes,I would like to find some 'nice' spots occasionally (and I could),but you can see that the possibilities are there ?
    You need to understand that I've been in the haulage/transport worlrd since I was a kid and consequently have been all over the country and have seen a million places that are suitable for a rig like mine. There are some quite beautiful stopping places out in the countryside too.
    You need to think like a truck driver...lol ! ;) Whole diffrent mentality !

• Well,yes,I would like to find some 'nice' spots occasionally (and I could),but you can see that the possibilities are there ?
    You need to understand that I've been in the haulage/transport worlrd since I was a kid and consequently have been all over the country and have seen a million places that are suitable for a rig like mine. There are some quite beautiful stopping places out in the countryside too.
    You need to think like a truck driver...lol ! ;) Whole diffrent mentality !

i obviously havent seen enough industrial estates in my time! the only one i've ever parked on felt so unsafe i barely slept!

but thats also the difference between girls on their own n guys on their own.

i prefer parking up either where its really really quiet or in a small group. if i'm in the suki no-one knows i'm in it coz it looks just like a commercial vehicle, and i park that absoloutly anywhere, but i find that if i'm somewhere industrial the noisey fuckers always wake me up first thing in the morning!!!

• I have been on the 'Wildcamping.co.uk' site for some time and never seen anything that size on there,but good luck to you.:thumbup:

• also obviously there is also the tractor unit with sleeper cab for when you want to be compact and bijou !

i used to hate towing my caravan about regularly so i kitted out the transit so i could have that for blatting off at the weekends and only towed the caravan when i was actually changing area.

it's great having a little moving home aswell as the big one! i can just imagine you turning up at some of the ukhippy gatherings in a tractor unit! that would be so cool!!

• it's great having a little moving home aswell as the big one! i can just imagine you turning up at some of the ukhippy gatherings in a tractor unit! that would be so cool!!

Yeah,the heavy mob are coming !! lol Could use it to tow all your wimpy little buses off the field when you get stuck ! :D

• Yeah,the heavy mob are coming !! lol Could use it to tow all your wimpy little buses off the field when you get stuck ! :D

yeah, that sounds wikkid!!!

you could make a fortune at the festivals!

• and my bus isn't wimpy.....she's hardcore!!!

• Hen's teeth!
    That's mahoosive!
    Bigger than my house (and that's just refering to the photo size!)
    What an adventure though. Fair play to you matey :thumbup: Have fun.

• Yeah,the heavy mob are coming !! lol Could use it to tow all your wimpy little buses off the field when you get stuck ! :D

You need rain first matey.
    I am dancing for a not so wet year so you best learn the rain dance if you mant to make dollar's.

• oi.......dont teach the rain dance!!!!

i want a long hot summer to!!

infact, if next summer is anything like the last two i'm emigrating!!!

• oi.......dont teach the rain dance!!!!

i want a long hot summer to!!

infact, if next summer is anything like the last two i'm emigrating!!!

Can i tag along LOL

• well if you stop teaching people the rain dance then hopefully we wont have too!!!

• excellent.......

mwahahahahahahaaa!!! :reddevil: