making meals more filling

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i've always noticed that when i make veggie meals i feel like i need to eat more of it to satisfy my hunger. i was wondering what veggie stuff you can add to things to make it more filling?

• i've always noticed that when i make veggie meals i feel like i need to eat more of it to satisfy my hunger. i was wondering what veggie stuff you can add to things to make it more filling?

Try adding groats - toasted buckwheat - I get it locally from our Polish shop in boil in the bag form...once it's boiled it can be mixed in with veggie curries and the like. Christmas day I made Stardust a veggie version of beef Wellington and mixed it in with soya mince and other stuff.........really packs it out a bit

• Carbs have always been added to meals as cheap "fillers". So you've got:
    * rice
    * bread
    * potatos
    * pasta
    * couscous
    all of which have been used by the poor for millenia to make meals more filling.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• yeah but i've usually got one of those with the meal i'm cooking anyway, and i don't really wanna eat more of that i'm already cooking, more kinda looking for interesting meat substitutes

• yeah but i've usually got one of those with the meal i'm cooking anyway, and i don't really wanna eat more of that i'm already cooking, more kinda looking for interesting meat substitutes

Fish? ;) :D

Ok, if you are already using them (rice etc) perhaps the key is in making sauces?

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• yeah sorry that's kinda what i meant in my op. fish is ming :pp

Invest in tins of "value" tomatos, a jar of paprika, some garlic, some cayene pepper, some black pepper and a selection of herbs..... :D Use the toms as a base and then experiment with mixtures of the others, cooking it over the period of an hour to thicken it :) Add to carbs to make it more interesting :D

• Lentils, and lentils and did I mention lentils. I fekkin love 'em and have been known to survive on tarka dahl and rice when the only curry available was inedibly hot (in rural sri Lanka). Lentil burgers if made well are just so goddam yum. Chickpeas. More lentils, properly treated, not Neil's kind.

• TVP (textured vegetable protein). comes dried in health food shops. quite cheap, can be added to anything. Is a bit like mince except it has absolutely NO taste. can make a good spag bol with it. you need to soak it in boiled water for a bit. Add veg stock and a bit of marmite to the water to give it some flavour. Is a lot cheaper than frozen veggie mince (like quorn) from supermarket.

• It could always be psychological. If you actually went veggie your body would probably acclimatise to not having the type of protein from meat or just feeling the heaviness that sometimes accompanies it. Perhaps it's not that you're not eating enough but that you normally eat too much.

• I'm confused, meat doesn't make you feel full it's protein if anything it will make you want to eat more. It's carbs that fill you up. (damn I'm tired I just typed feel you up, must have met a randy potato earlier).

So if you're cooking a veggie dish you just replace the meat with beans, pulses, nuts or dairy and eat plenty of carbs like you would if you were eating meat.

Have nothing in your house you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

William Morris

• I'm confused, meat doesn't make you feel full it's protein if anything it will make you want to eat more. It's carbs that fill you up. (damn I'm tired I just typed feel you up, must have met a randy potato earlier).

So if you're cooking a veggie dish you just replace the meat with beans, pulses, nuts or dairy and eat plenty of carbs like you would if you were eating meat.

yea that's what i've been doing, it just doesn't seem as filling portion wise as the meat did

• yea that's what i've been doing, it just doesn't seem as filling portion wise as the meat did

I don't really know how fillling a portion of meat might be. But I do eat very big portions of vegetarian dishes.

Maybe you just need to eat more.

Have nothing in your house you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

William Morris

I'm confused, meat doesn't make you feel full it's protein if anything it will make you want to eat more.

When they did research into Atkins type diets they discovered it was the protein that keeps you full.

One way I bulk out the protein in my gal's food is to add okara (the leftovers from making soya milk, not the town:rolleyes:). It's pretty much tasteless and I've noticed she doesn't snack as much when she's had a meal with it in.

• The fats in a meal apparently play a big part in feeling full at the end :)

• Lentils, and lentils and did I mention lentils. I fekkin love 'em and have been known to survive on tarka dahl and rice when the only curry available was inedibly hot (in rural sri Lanka). Lentil burgers if made well are just so goddam yum. Chickpeas. More lentils, properly treated, not Neil's kind.

Totally agree with you there, Julian, it's certainly lentils, lentis and more lentils to bulk out my cooking. I use red lentils to thicken sauces and veggie stews as they break down when cooked. I'm currently using puy, green and black beluga lentils (omg) for other dishes, like burgers and bakes. Pulses (chick peas, split peas, kidney beans etc) are your friend if you want to really fill up. Also cook with a decent amount of olive oil, which as well as being good for you, will help give you that 'full-up' feeling. :thumbup::)

lol..i read that as crabs feel you up...so it's not just you babe :D

yea that's what i've been doing, it just doesn't seem as filling portion wise as the meat did

i personally think it's pyscological....for me, if i have a huge plate of all the same thing...i dont feel full....if i have a plate with lots of variety, it seems to fill me up more...maybe it's just because you feel like something is 'missing' from your plate.

• If your making a pot of something add 50gms of nuts per person.
    If they are raw like say cashews add them halfway through sweating down the onion.If they are roasted add them when your adding say the chopped tomatoes.
    I love to add pistachios to a dish and 50 gms per person is a not so expensive luxury.:thumbup: