How to avoid the Polize ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'll be living in a big van shortly due to ....well lots of reasons.
    Has anyone got any ideas of how to deal with the hassle that I'm sure I'll encounter ? Apart from getting a big dog etc... I've done it loads in France and Spain whilst going windsurfing but never to live in here in shitty old Blighty.
    Cheers n all

• Keep your ear to the ground for park ups so you've got as many options open to you as possible. Coppers are only one group you might get hassle from. Gypsies can get agro - not all of them, but don't assume everyone living beyond four walls is on side. Sometimes locals - dog walkers etc, with nothing better to do than complain can make themselves a nuisance. Then there's the little asbo bastards - out looking for a soft target for vandalism.

Don't know any sure fire ways to stay on top, best bet is a few park ups like I said, stay as inconspicuous as possible, and try to get in with some locals without letting on where or how you're living.

Hope some of this is useful, good luck :thumbup:

• Quote from Duckman

When buying a van go for white and don't use the body work as a canvas as many hippies do.

that hasnt been my experience, and i've been pulled alot! my old vw was painted up totally brightly coloured and screamed hippy and i never got pulled once in the uk (i got pulled all the time in europe and searched at boarders though). the british police just left me well alone.

my experience of subtle white vans has been that i get pulled regularly! in my white transit i went through a phase where i was pulled every other week!

one night (at about 3am) i got pulled and i said to the cop "you having a quiet night then?" n he goes "no, its been quite busy actually. two bad RTA's" and i said "so why the fuck you pulling me again then?"

he then explained that white transits were the most common vehicles used in robberies and would i mind if he searched the back for stolen TV's. the van was quite scruffy n i can see exsactly why he thought it was used in a robbery!

i thought when i got the bus though that i would get alot of hassle, but coz i've never been out with it when it's not legal, i've never been pulled. and now that every things computerized i think thats the way to go. give them no reason to pull you and you'll be fine. but if you're gonna go round in an illegal vehicle expect to get pulled. they've got fuckin cameras everywhere reading your reg number.

most the times i've been pulled in other vehicles was when the paperwork wasnt quite right, when there's been something wrong with the vehicle, (lights out, bits falling off etc) and when they think i've been in a robbery or sommat.

they can't just search your vehicle coz you're a hippy looking type. they got to have a reason. but the whiff of canabis smoke or alcohol can be a good enough reason, so if you're gonna smoke in your vehicle be extra sure all your documents are in order and you're not driving in a manner that they'll want to pull you.

coz i dont smoke canabis i've never smelt of it so i've never been searched. in my bus i get them pull up next to me all the time and shine torches in the window (when i'm parked up) and sit next to the bus on their radios but they've never once actually come and knocked on my door coz all there searches reveal they cant do me for anything so they always go off all disapointed!

the only time i've been pulled in something brightly coloured was a psychedelic honda prelude, but everything we got pulled for was deserved, things like fog lights on when they shouldnt be, driving naked, paperwork registered the car as white, tax disk being out of date and all stuff they'd pull most cars for.

main bit of advice i can give for not getting pulled is stay legal and fairly smart. dont have bits dropping off n screeching and you'll be fine.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• driving naked, and all stuff they'd pull most cars for.

:D:D:D

Ditto most of what stardust said, tho I have never driven naked...

Tho I had a white Transit & often drove at stupid 0'clock & never got pulled.

With my current dark blue Sprinter (looks a bit like a camper, due to side & back door windows, but looks tidy & straight) I have noticed police paying attention when I'm parked up in odd places - this year I saw them twice - once by a lake in Wales & once by a loch in Scotland, on bits of carpark, both times they pulled up, sat there for a couple of mins then left. Didn't get out of their vehicle at all. I'm assuming that they were just doing checks on the reg number & me (as registered owner) No doubt of any of that was dodgy I would have had a knock on the door...

• yeah, truth or dare is a baaaaaaaad game!!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Cool...thanks for your advise. My van will be all above board as I'll have to travel in it to get work. One of my main concerns was , do I just park it up somewhere down a quiet country lane or somewhere where there's people around ? When I've been abroad it wasn't a problem but me thinks it might be up here in Yorkshire.I've not done naked driving but many times driven in a wetsuit ....he he. I'd have loved to have been pulled by the law, but never did....bugger

• Cool...thanks for your advise. My van will be all above board as I'll have to travel in it to get work. One of my main concerns was , do I just park it up somewhere down a quiet country lane or somewhere where there's people around ? When I've been abroad it wasn't a problem but me thinks it might be up here in Yorkshire.I've not done naked driving but many times driven in a wetsuit ....he he. I'd have loved to have been pulled by the law, but never did....bugger

tbh, if you intend to drive a totally legal vehicle then you're extremely unlikely to get any hassle.

where you park depends alot on your van i think. subtle vans (like my transit or suzuki) you can park absoloutly anywhere. i've parked in national trust carparks, public carparks, laybys, verges, ect and the worst i got was a few beeps and shouts out the windows from chavs. so long as its not private land i've never been hassled.

sometimes the law would ask me who i was, what i was doing etc, but i'd always be polite (i have a special cop voice.....it's like the one for talking to my grandma!) and say i wasnt going to stay that long and they're generally alright so long as you're all legal.

one carpark i was in backed onto an RAF base so they'd come down and say hello each day or drive past, but it was down to the national trust whether or not i could stay there and me n the carpark caretaker just came to an agreement that i could stay until he got in trouble with his boss then i'd move on with no need to go to the expense of courts/evictions etc.

the only problem i've ever had was when i was on private land with a few others and the land owners didnt want us there so blocked us in with about 10 tonnes of rocks. that one ended up in court and we got costs thrown at us so we had to break through a hedge to escape so we didnt lose everything but that was the closest i ever came to trouble so its not so bad.

• I think some of the time I'll park it at a friends....he has a huge field and if I help him with his renovation he should be ok about it. On another note he holds a music festival there every year....it's called Lindley Woodstock. It's £20 for the weekend....free camping and all the proceedes go to charity. Its a blast, we a complete mud bath last year. I'll be there this year so let everyone know about it.....I'll keep you posted. We had fire eaters last year etc.... Parking !!! I'll be fine I'm sure, I'm a big boy...he he

• Oh, and Ordnance Survey maps are really useful for spotting potential park ups ahead of time. You'll get to know the likely looking spots on the OS maps after a while...

• When buying a van go for white and don't use the body work as a canvas as many hippies do.

My truck is landscape painted - a beach on one side and an African veld on the other because it's a backdrop for the Kids Area. However, because it's a Showmans Special and registered as such I haven't been stopped in a few years for them to be nosy.

I have however been pulled, thankfully, when the tail lights cable on the trailer got guillotined by the tail board and blew ALL of the rear lights at about 11pm. I had no idea cos the headlights were working. Helpful, mostly, policeman tailend charlied me to the nearby services and waited while I spliced the cable back together.

I haven't had any problems parking up, but I'm only usually in a carpark etc for a night or two at the most.

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well" Mother Julian of Norwich

• Cool....well I'll see how I get on. One of the things I'm really looking forward to though is putting a small woodburner in it..and solar panels on the roof. So do any of you guys ever meet up ?

• welcome to ukhippy dude!!!

best circle of friends i ever had!

• Kind of between builds at the moment, but thanks a lot for the offer and I'll keep you posted :thumbup:. Worked on a few timber framed buildings last year - round wood cruck frame stylee. Might have more on this year but it's all vague as fuck at the moment, which is why I'm back out doing tree work :( - and taking my HGV test tomorrow :panic:!

• and taking my HGV test tomorrow :panic:!

good luck dude!!!!!

• I hope you pass your test Pedro....I'm struggling for work at the mo....I've also got a class one HGV licence and the agencies dont even want to sign me up. These are shite times to be honest. 15 years on the trucks and didliy shit of any work up ere in Yorkshire. ANd even with my talented hands I'm only getting the odd bit of decci work...

• if its any consulation theres fuck all work down here aswell! :(

• Well once you're mobile you can go where the work is :). Not that it's a great time for anyone anywhere to be out of work, but it sounds like you've got a few skills under your belt. Keep your chin up mate, and keep knocking doors - sooner or later one will open for you :thumbup:.

• Yeh I know.....I'm ever the optimist. I did a 700 leaflet drop just b4 Christmas, to no avail. But I know I'll pull it off eventually , I'm not the sit on your ass type of guy. Looks like i'll be traveling around shortly....could do with meeting new mates on my travels. A few beers etc ....:)