Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have been pondering graffiti for a while and was wondering what you all think?

I personally feel it is wrong to deface property that does not belong to you. For example it would not be right to walk around town with a magic marker writing on people´s shirts or bags without permission...so why is it ok to do it to a building or a tree...

anyway I know many people feel that it is a form of:

Artistic expression

free speech

a very important social and political movement

and nessacary social disobedience

What do you all think?

I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames. -Jim Morrison

• Strangely enough I find some graffiti is very artistic and sometimes extremely funny - however, should people have the right to deface another persons property....my gut reaction is to say no but then we'd lose a lot of interesting displays around some of the more depressing areas of our towns and cities.
    As long as it's not offensive I would say it's OK.....just

• In the right place its OK but i like the artistic graffiti more than a name (tag)

• I am not so dogmatic as to not beable to see the beauty in some of it, but have huge problems with just all the random tagging done solely for personal satisfaction, and I do feel most of it is just a disrespectful eye sore and defacement of private property....

I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames. -Jim Morrison

• Not at all happy to see people's spray tags all over walls, bus stops and street signs. It makes areas look tacky and neglected. In the right place, graffiti can be really arty and actually improve on what was there before. I love to see murals that people have painted on walls:)

• I hate tagging - I think it shouldn't be graced with the word Graffitti because to me, Graffitti is definatley art. I've got a few mates who are excellent graff artists although their local peices of work are fast coming obliterated with shitty tagging which is a crying shame. I'd shoot the fingers off a tagger! I hate seeing tagging on private property - I think its disgusting but there are some interesting bits of stencil work on public and private property around and about the town - must try n remember to take my camera out for a walk!!!

• Like the rest of you I can't stand tagging.. but love graffitti! Here's a stencil piece I found

and some proper Graff...

How can that be worse than looking at a plain boring concrete wall? :D

• i think tagging and graffitti should be entirely seperate catagories. one being art and one being punishable by chopping off fingers!!

i think a large, well thought out piece can really enhance an area. if its just done on a blank boring piece of wall/board/metal thats just waiting to be tagged then i think it should be encouraged. i quite like stencils aswell, specially if they're really original and thought provoking.

i saw this in carmarthen.......

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• oooooh, like that!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• some graffiti can be tremendous works of art and have social significance.
    someone that takes a bit of black spray paint and scribbles their name (or 'tag') on a wall is not having any social significance other than to deface property.

• Most of the graffiti that I see around here is just crap like 'P Nut wuz ere 08' or 'chloe 4 jack 4eva' it's everywhere and it's crap but I don't have a problem with people doing it.

I think generally graffiti is a good thing and can be used to open minds, make people question their opinions and potentially change people that see it. Art graffiti just there to look good is cool too, often a definite improvement on the boring plain wall that lies beneath.

The right message could make a difference, even if only to one person, then that person will change other people and so on.

Arfius your artwork is pretty nice, quite abstract.

• I also find some graffiti quite artistic, maybe the county could designate certain walls or buildings as canvasses for these artists to express themselves.

• o.k so this is the kind of thing that gets my goat, (but will add I did find it a touch funny)....

• See, the thing is with tagging, is that some people do have some good tags. I know people that have some pretty nice looking tags and they aim to put it in hard to reach places...so you are like "how the fuck did they get that there" and i don't mind tagging like that. What ruins tagging is people thinking that tagging makes them a graffeti artist, and it doesn't, which is when you get all that shit everywhere. Or children thinking they are cool tagging things.

There is some sick graffeti near me, i shall take some photos at some point and post them up. :D

• Graffiti can be very moving, inspiring and straight to the point. With graffiti you can tell the public your views and you can even spray up something to do with your latest activist concern! I think it's great!!! I also think that it can be very artistic and is just another form of art!! Some tags written by more experienced writers are also art...look at a tag one day and just think how long it took to come up with how to write it out and make it flow and see the art in it!

GRAFFITI IS AN ART
    NOT A CRIME :)

Peace

• Graffiti can be very moving, inspiring and straight to the point. With graffiti you can tell the public your views and you can even spray up something to do with your latest activist concern! I think it's great!!! I also think that it can be very artistic and is just another form of art!! Some tags written by more experienced writers are also art...look at a tag one day and just think how long it took to come up with how to write it out and make it flow and see the art in it!

GRAFFITI IS AN ART

Peace

:clap:

• GRAFFITI IS AN ART

You say that... but actually it is a crime.

I'd love to agree with you but it's illigal for a reason. If there were more places opened up specifically for graffiti that'd be great, free expression and all that. It can be stunning but it can also be really shit.

For example, I looked at those photos and thought they were cool, but I couldnt help but tut at the arse who wrote their tag really crapply across the face. Who would do that?