Bloody rats!!!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• ok.. help me someone! please... I know its not zen, or buddhist or whatever.. but when it comes to rats, i get this red veil.. I really DO NOT like the little buggers..
    I respect them, cos they are so darned clever, but I REALLY dont want them in my house, especially not in my daughters under eaves cupboards! I can hear them scuttling about i the attic when the house is quiet, and sometimes they wake me up at night.. damn things with their pointy noses and long tails..:rolleyes:
    anyway.. how do i get rid of the blasted things..
    I have set traps, with chocolate, peanut butter, dog treats.. and they stay away.. I have laid bait, and not set the traps so they get the idea that they can get the bait, and stay alive.. for a while..:reddevil: with the idea, that once theyve taken the bait a few times, I can set the trap and get 'em.. but to no avail.. they are still scuttling about, and the bait is untouched..
    Any ideas anyone??
    thanks!:insane: ..
    I

• When we got them in the house we ultimately had to poison them,having tried everything else.I trap them in live traps out in the barns and can cope with that but once they`re in the house............The smell of success is not good though!You can also try sticky traps but i`ve only had limited success with those with rats.They`re like really sticky pads that they stick to and can`t move but then you`re left with a very angry rat stuck to a pad!Other than that you could invest in an ultra sonic repeller but i`ve known those upset dogs(not always but sometimes!)
    Good luck,it`s horrible.x

• want to be sure its rats tho.. does anyone know what GLis Glis poo looks like?;)

If they`re sort of oval and the size of a raisin then it`s rats.If they`re kind of curly like a spiral then it could be stoats.We had scuttling in the attic and that was a family of stoats which kept the rats well away.

• In my old place I kept chickens and had rats as a result trying to get into the feed sheds.
    We got good effective rat poison from farm suppliers. THe only bugger with wharferin type poisons though is that the rats can die anywhere as its a slow way to kill them and then you have the problem of stinky dead rat/bluebottles etc.
    Do you know anyone with a teeny terrier ?

• jhanilil.. the poo is kinda like an olive stone size and longer.. think it is rats.. sure it is actually..
    yea I could pay someone to fix it, but am concerned about the poisons they use.. they tend to die slowly from what I understand, and we have a puppy in the house.. so i dont want to have poison around really..
    we've had mice too.. but I evicted them in a humane trap to a layby miles away..
    so there's this colony of satay mice in Longwick now cos I used peanut butter for them, lol!..
    what baits work best??

• *steps forward with teeny terrorist terrier* however he has never been ratting - although I don't doubt he'd do a bloody good job cos his brother regularly catches rats - he's got it in him alright i just don't know that he'd know what to do properly cos he's not done it before?! but if you get desperate honey i'll bring him down x x x x

• In my old place I kept chickens and had rats as a result trying to get into the feed sheds.
    We got good effective rat poison from farm suppliers. THe only bugger with wharferin type poisons though is that the rats can die anywhere as its a slow way to kill them and then you have the problem of stinky dead rat/bluebottles etc.
    Do you know anyone with a teeny terrier ?

hmm funny you should say that... but she is only a puppy, so totally untrained, and I would worry that she would fall through the bit where the roof ends.. its so thin there.. :wall:

• *steps forward with teeny terrorist terrier* however he has never been ratting - although I don't doubt he'd do a bloody good job cos his brother regularly catches rats - he's got it in him alright i just don't know that he'd know what to do properly cos he's not done it before?! but if you get desperate honey i'll bring him down x x x x

aw thanks sarah! should train lily, cos I'm sure it'd be in her blood too.. :D

• As a rule you need an older dog to show em the ropes. Cats are just too slow.
    The poison is usually coloured grain so might not be attractive to a pup.
    Also you could put it in, say a tin with a hole in that a rat could get in but a pup couldn't.

• true, if it comes to that I will, but as they arent even interested in bait atm, I dont even know if they'd take it!
    I will ask at the country store place.. Phoebe's worried that they'll come out and walk on her face in the night!! haha

Anne;630898]As a rule you need an older dog to show em the ropes.

That is correct, but there is always the exception to the rule i have had terriers that have a natural instinct and have done the business without the help of another dog to show them they were form working stock though.

• That is correct, but there is always the exception to the rule i have had terriers that have a natural instinct and have done the business without the help of another dog to show them they were form working stock though.

I think.. think.. that Gizzy might be one of them natural instinct terrorists...he has taken on livestock - cows, sheep, horses.. he's a little fucker...him n his brother were rescued by a local gypsy from some irish travellers who were breeding them for fighting...Gizzy's brother Rocky keeps all the rats at bay where he lives (keeps pigeons so they get a lot) and has never been shown what to do by an older dog - he just does it - i think Gizmo might be the same so under careful supervision i think would probably do a good job however he ain't up to date on his jabs so i'd have to look at that if he was gonna go ratting.

• Yeah Claire sounds like rats.You also need to make sure the dogs boosters are up to date with rats around as a rat bite can be very serious for a dog otherwise.(Make sure their leptospirosis is up to date.)Most dogs don`t go for rat poison but I always make very sure it`s out of the way of all animals except the rats!You usually have results in 3-4 days with the modern poisons available from farmers shops and the like.Don`t know why they`re not going for the traps though.I use jam on traps and bird seed or peanuts in the live traps and it always seems to work fine.Another old fashioned trick is to put out flour mixed with plaster of paris but it`s a cruel way to go (the plaster sets like a rock in their stomachs!)Again you have to keep it away from all other animals as it has the same effect.The only upside is that you aren`t risking your ecosystem with nasty poisons.
    See ya,Nick x.

• lil's a bit young for ratting just yet, she's only 14 weeks..but therefore fully up to date on jabs.. I'll give the jam etc a try, not sure how many we've got.. went up into the attic t'other day and the smell has gone..but there was a load of poo in phoebe's cupboard!

• Every autumn when I lived in the country either rats or mice moved in. You never get both together:D

The 2 winters we did not have then was the years we had pet rats maybe Phoebe would like a pet rat or two? ( in a cage)

• If rats are coming into a house you have to find out how they are getting in!and block that entry up,because as long as theres a way in you will get more.The poison is good but like in above posts, its a slow death for the rats and they can die anywere,Good luck hope this helps :)

• :faint:
    I'm trying very hard not to go into a poor ratty thing ere caus it's not that type of thread but in the name of cute little fluffy things everywhere; have a look at the sonic repellants, it's a permanent fix if you don't want squatters.

• :faint:
    I'm trying very hard not to go into a poor ratty thing ere caus it's not that type of thread but in the name of cute little fluffy things everywhere; have a look at the sonic repellants, it's a permanent fix if you don't want squatters.

ooo interesting..
    any idea of where to get one.
    I know, but cute and fluffy they arent.. and they are about only things that I have no tolerance for.. If I try any catchem and chuck em out in the layby tactics, I know it'll take forever, and they just make me go all eeeuuurrrggghhh..maybe its a throw back to the film 1984, but I cant bear them..:insane:
    sonic deterents might be a possibility, but I would have thought that it would bug the dog.. and possibly matty, who seems to have super sensitive hearing..:)

• Every autumn when I lived in the country either rats or mice moved in. You never get both together:D

The 2 winters we did not have then was the years we had pet rats maybe Phoebe would like a pet rat or two? ( in a cage)

we have had both.. mice in the living room.. and rats in the attic..
    I always thought that too, till we got here.. cos the rats'll eat the mice!

• The sonic repellers are easy enough to get.They do drive some dogs nuts though,and you can`t just switch them off either or the rats just come back.These are the type of thing.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-PLUG-I…A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I don`t like killing anything but rats are a menace as far as i can see,i don`t even let them go from the live traps as it is only causing a problem for somebody else.Mice are a completely different matter.

I would be far more worried about this

http://www.iphe.org.uk/health/weils_disease.html

Even though it`s highly unlikely to be an issue with rats in a building,the very possibility of it with kids around is not good.I remember a few years ago deciding to lay off the poison for a few weeks and we were totally overrun with them in no time at all:(.

You could try some of those sonic plug ins Claire they`re not massivly expensive if they do cause problems.As was said in another post though you`ll need to find out were they got in and block it up once you`ve got rid of them.They follow each others urine trails which is like a giant rat signpost leading them to you.

• maybe Phoebe would like a pet rat or two? ( in a cage)

Good idea put a sexy looking hunk of a tame rat in the live trap and bobs your uncle wild rats will be caught in record time.

• Tried the sonic thing, didn't work for us....good advice earlier in the thread, the rats were entering the cavity and away to go...found the entry point and blocked it, no more rats in the house...looked for breaches of the cavlity, places where pipes have been removed and not blocked, places like vent grills that have broken down...they can come in through a hole the size of a fifty pence piece so your hunt for a hole will need to be thorough...best of luck.

• Tried the sonic thing, didn't work for us....good advice earlier in the thread, the rats were entering the cavity and away to go...found the entry point and blocked it, no more rats in the house...looked for breaches of the cavlity, places where pipes have been removed and not blocked, places like vent grills that have broken down...they can come in through a hole the size of a fifty pence piece so your hunt for a hole will need to be thorough...best of luck.

Light a smoke bomb, close all the doors and windows and see where it comes out. Ooh! That might encourage the rats to come out too! Sorry, I must be tired, I've gone all silly again:(