If I was a Victorian I'd want to be.......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've just watched the beginning of, what looks like, an excellent series on BBC2 about the Victorian farm and rural life.
    So if I was a Victorian I'd want to be a ploughman and walk behind Shire horses all day long.........
    Anyone else fancy the life?

• I'd want to marry some rich old git and wait for him to die, so i could be rich and free.
    Life wasn't so good for us girls back then, unless you had a good position in society.

• I could quite happily live with Ruth Goodman :) She used to do re-enactment at the Weald and Downland Museum near where I used to live....mmmmm (and the food was good too) :D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• I could quite happily live with Ruth Goodman :) She used to do re-enactment at the Weald and Downland Museum near where I used to live....mmmmm (and the food was good too) :D

I was down there once and they were doing cookery demonstrations for school kids....the kids were totally absorbed.....

• the Squire. and have my pick of the wenches:whistle::D

Hah - someone has to and I 'spose you think 'cos yer the squire....tugs forelock....that yer better than a ploughman.....:mad:

• the Squire. and have my pick of the wenches:whistle::D

See your just the sort of old git i'd marry, then have all the local wenches, fuck you to death.

Then i'd open up the manor house and let all the local women move in, so we could all live off your money, while i went to Paris or Venice.

• See your just the sort of old git i'd marry, then have all the local wenches, fuck you to death.

Then i'd open up the manor house and let all the local women move in, so we could all live off your money, while i went to Paris or Venice.

errrm 'scuse me....could we have a bit of decorum please we're Victorians you know.......:o

I was always taught to respect my elders but it keeps getting harder to find one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Stardusts Dad ().

• Oh shit - that last post turned me into a Heavenly Creature....pleeeeease can I be something else...........

• I love the Victorian era.....thnk maybe I would have liked to be a working shire horse as I love watching them at rallies around here, different pace of life huh!

• I love the Victorian era.....thnk maybe I would have liked to be a working shire horse as I love watching them at rallies around here, different pace of life huh!

Then do try to watch the programme - BBC2 Thursdays at 9.00

• I reckon once the Squire is back in the Manor, we'll be doing a bit of poaching ourselves tonight;)

Yeah but did you notice the way his nose was constantly dripping :vomit:.....yeachh - he won't attract the local wenches.......:D

• He looked like he was finding it tough going on the plough as well....The Squire could do with some square farm food for awhile.

Sod the squire - he'a rich bloody land owner what about us poor old labourers .... we need the food :clap:

• Or even if you *did* have a good position in society, for the most part.

I'd have been murder by some control freak man, way too out spoken.

Mind you there were some tough women in those days, the Pankhurst sisters and Mary Wolfestone...however you spell it and old Queen Vic was quite a gal.

But the odds our i would have been murdered for being gobby haha.

• Work harder and grow more then tut tut :whistle:

Well at least us fellows were allowed our own bank accounts - you 'ladies' had to send your Man of Business to the bank to get your money out.....
    Now there's a job - be a ladies man of business....got to better than a ploughman :p

Although.....my great great great uncle John did win 10s (that's 50 pence for you lot) as best plough boy in a competition in 1846....:clap:

• I would want to be a cook making stuff all day, covered in flour with huge bosoms! (Victorian cooks always seem to be rotund, that seems nice!) Perhaps a passel of little scullery boys playing around me.