Veg*nism and elitism...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quorn does contain egg and milk though.....
    I've never had tofu that contains either egg or gelatine but I do know there are things made with tofu that are not vegan friendly.
    I'm now an avid label reader (after making numerous mishaps) and I don't take anything for granted as a lot of companies change their ingredients on products without you, the consumer, knowing. So label reading is the only way. And even then it's all confusing what with the numerous E numbers and their origin being debatable as to whether they are animal derived or vegetable.
    Anyway...I digress...sorry.

• I never really get why some vegans or vegetarian seem to want to convince at any price the others. I would never have been vegetarian with an argument. I needed to see that it could be possible and gently make my own way towards it.

I don't really think that being vegan is better than being vegetarian, neither do I agree when one says that vegetarian are better than meat-eater.

A vegan colleague is the nicest person in the world: vegan, nice to the old lady crossing the road, donating to red cross and others, care about dog shit on the street, and so on. But has a lot of problem with getting on with his own family, other colleagues and secretary. Being nice with the entire world and not with the neighbours?

Okay this is just one example in a million. But just to give you an idea that you can be "better" on one thing and be totally "bad" on another. Then people tend to give more emphasis to one stuff...

I really get pissed off when vegans call me evil for drinking milk!

• I'm usually a veggie. but I realised recently that whilst I like the label, there are times when I might eat a small bit of something.

I fell into vegetarianism because I don't like most meat. The meat I will eat has to be particular to my Ick-Problems. It just seems saner to eat a veggie diet. I also love Quorn and using a variety of veg in a meal instead of meat, yum.

Thing is, is I get a LOT of stick from people because a) I don't eat like this for the ethics first, and b) because people are pathetic and think they can say what they fucking like!!!

I get 'why eat quorn, its made to be like meat' - I FUCKING LIKE IT!!!

The other day I was told that I might as well stop being a veggie - s.o.b tried to persuade me out of it, til I explained for the umpteenth time that I fucking hate meat.

I wish people would leave me alone about it. It was the constant badgering when I was 22 that made me almost start being a vegan and I don't like vegan food. Having said that, there's some natural balance because I hate egg and I'm lactose intolerant.

• Here is how I see it. I am very strong in my vegan views and if I could, I would shovel it down meat-eaters and pressure veggies, but that won't work in the real world.
    I never jump people, but boy do I get jumped so often, when someone finds out I am vegan I hear "oh vegan their worse" Worse than what? The meat-eater spewing the comment.
    Vegans have to be the most debated creature on earth which is why most of us become so sharp edged.
    I never tell people I am vegan but if they ask, why I don't have milk with my tea? I tell them why, which may be a mistake but I am very proud of my choice.
    I am not the one who gets defensive, they do or they make rude comments like "mmmm!!! pig and apple sauce" I think we vegans tolerate way more than most realize, yet we are always the bad guys.

My biggest problem is I work with retarded farmers, who's idea of a good time is shooting everything that moves and freezing everything male. That may have been a bit offensive but, I ment it to.

Just remember vegans are very passionate which is why we are willing to give up things that non-vegans find harmless or hard to live with out.

In the end I do feel superior to some degree, just knowing that my life does not cause pain or death to anothers in my eye that is grand and anything less is well, just less.

Hope this help you understand vegans just that little bit more.

• In the end I do feel superior to some degree, just knowing that my life does not cause pain or death to anothers in my eye that is grand and anything less is well, just less.

Hope this help you understand vegans just that little bit more.

I was a vegan and now a veggie and in winter a carnivore. You might feel superior mate, but you aint. Must be really difficult levitating your way through life as to walk on the ground youd be splattering thousands of insects. Or maybe you see those lifeforms as inferior? Oh, id wise up on some of the plant consciousness research to- boy oh boy do those carrots scream.

• I was a vegan and now a veggie and in winter a carnivore. You might feel superior mate, but you aint. Must be really difficult levitating your way through life as to walk on the ground youd be splattering thousands of insects. Or maybe you see those lifeforms as inferior? Oh, id wise up on some of the plant consciousness research to- boy oh boy do those carrots scream.

That point was very well put, but and a big but. I never said I was superior in physical form on any level, only morally to non-vegans/vegetarians humans. And being vegan is a goal one strives for, no creature/organism could go through life without affecting another. That would be silly to think that.
    My physical impact on the world is far less an impact than a non-vegan/vegetarians and that is one of the main ideologies behind being vegan, reducing ones impact on other lives.
    As for carrots screaming now your just pulling at straws. But I will say this if you have heard carrots screaming, lay off the shrooms for a weekend.:waves:

• My physical impact on the world is far less an impact than a non-vegan/vegetarians and that is one of the main ideologies behind being vegan, reducing ones impact on other lives.
    As for carrots screaming now your just pulling at straws. But I will say this if you have heard carrots screaming, lay off the shrooms for a weekend.:waves:

Not True. A vegans impact is hugely greater on the world than someone who eats un domesticated meat and un domesticated vegetable matter. But of course the same is true of meat eaters who eat farmed meat. The soy deserts in Brazil and the cereal deserts worldwide have no lesser effect than meat factories and probably end up depriving as many wild species of life. Industrial farming is the problem here and vegans are just as reliant on it as meat eaters. To claim veganism has less of an impact is burying your head in the sand. If you want to live a low impact life become a forager. By the way, the plant research is genuine. Try googling consciousness in plants.

The soy deserts in Brazil and the cereal deserts worldwide have no lesser effect than meat factories and probably end up depriving as many wild species of life.

The majority of soya and ceral crops grown go into animal feed, for 1 pound of meat it takes 4 pounds of wheat.

• Not True. A vegans impact is hugely greater on the world than someone who eats un domesticated meat and un domesticated vegetable matter. But of course the same is true of meat eaters who eat farmed meat. The soy deserts in Brazil and the cereal deserts worldwide have no lesser effect than meat factories and probably end up depriving as many wild species of life. Industrial farming is the problem here and vegans are just as reliant on it as meat eaters. To claim veganism has less of an impact is burying your head in the sand. If you want to live a low impact life become a forager. By the way, the plant research is genuine. Try googling consciousness in plants.

ok Now your just moving off the subject. And assuming you know how I live my life only makes yourself look stupid. For one I grow 65% of my food, what I don't grow I buy locally grown organic food. Things like bread I make my own, want the recipe I'll give it to you. This will be my last response to you as you are moving too far from the OP's topic. And IF you could please PM me links to your so called facts that a vegan impact is greater than a meat eater ( to be honest I fell out of my chair when I read that) I may have to rethink my vegan life style *not*

NExted

• I've been a veggie for 26 years now, made a conscious decision at 13 that I couldn't eat meat anymore and stopped.

I grew up in a rural community and have a smallholding (just 10 acres) now I've retired. I keep chickens and goats for eggs, milk and manure and I defy anyone to criticize my animal husbandry as Slavery. My animals are kept free range, are cared for in the best possible way and are loved and respected.

When they age beyond their natural production time, they stay on and live their natural lifespan, they are loved and treated as well as my dogs and cats. I have wept over every dead chicken in my flock and their bodies have been offered to the local eagle couple who nest in my woods. The cycle of life is sustained and we move on.

I have long suspected, however, that some of the opposition that my vegan friends have to my chickens and goats is a lack of understanding of their natural lives and habits. I know for a fact that my does are pretty damned relieved when I milk them, as they produce way too much for their kids and I would be up to my ears in unsustainable chicks if we did not collect the eggs.

its my life and I respect the choices of others, just as I expect my choices to be respected in return.

Peace

-badger

Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky, we fell them down and turn them into paper, that we may record our emptiness. - Kahlil Gibran

• Industrial farming is the problem here and vegans are just as reliant on it as meat eaters. To claim veganism has less of an impact is burying your head in the sand.

If the comparison is between farming and foraging, obviously farming has the greater impact. No argument there. And per acre, veggie farming probably has as much impact as meat farming.

But a per acre comparison is not an intelligent or meaningful comparison. The meaningful comparison between veggie production and meat production is per consumer. And there, vegetarianism and especially veganism have much, much less impact than meat eating. To claim otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

• Hello just want to point out the fact, breast of any female mammal work on a supply and demand basis, fact. So look at it like this when you milk your goat, that stimulates a feed, that with her young feeding means she is over producing to keep up with the supply and demand. So you are the cause of her pain.
    Cows are the same as well as any other milk producing creature. In the wild they get through it just fine without human interference.

So to say they need to be milked or it relieves them is just your way of justifying the act of theft and exploitation

Chicken produce young chicks only if the egg have be spunked on. Which leads me to believe that you breed chicken as well as goats for products which do not belong to you. Your own words

I would be up to my ears in unsustainable chicks if we did not collect the eggs.

You know you do not need a rooster to get eggs and there are thousands of ex-bat hens in need of homes. Guessing you never got the spay and neuter concept.

These are just the pertinent facts.

I have thing to do but would if your intrested disscuss this in PM form
    I hope you don't see this as an attack just friendly debate/disscussion.

Cheers
    Name's Toran

• Post by HedgeBadger ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • [removed - moderator requests aren't made for the fun of it]

Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky, we fell them down and turn them into paper, that we may record our emptiness. - Kahlil Gibran

• yae quite right princess ive had that it makes me sick the vegan nazis they think they are so pure and shit most of them just think there cool and are following thier little pack ,im veggie 13 years but dont really tell people and cant be bothered to discus it with meat eaters when the ask me ,why perplexingly ,sod them but more importantly if they come on all self rightous the vegans that is tell them what you think and dont be afraid to be an individual i have more respect for an honest meateater that says hes knows its not good but he doesnt care ,everyone is free no