Meditation

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello,
    I've been playing around with idea of learning how to meditate for a while now & i was just wondering whether anyone here meditates & if you have any helpful hints or any information i should know about. I do know some basics (ie. about concentrating on the movement of breathing to start off with to improve concentration etc) but any more information would be very helpful.
    Thank you!!!

• I find meditation very good in the control of pain, find yourself a good website or book from the library, chill and take your time. If you need any help pm me.

• I went to a meditation group run by a local buddhist group a few years ago, and found that helpful. I think they key is to be patient with yourself... if you can only manage two minutes, that's OK :) It's a skill you learn with time.

• Hi, yea i agree with the above ,i find that sitting in a particular room, light a candle and settle your breathing,clear your mind of anything negative,play a cd.

• If you find the mind wandering ask yourself this....

At what point does a wave become the ocean and the ocean become a wave?

....without stuggling to answer it.

:)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• reminds me of my favourite 'Zen' koan:D

'Sweet hearted one
    meditate on knowing and not knowing,
    on becoming and not becoming
    then leave both aside and...

ok I'm a daily meditator and my 5p's worth is...

many different kinds of meditation -try a few
    definately a skill that improves with regular practice
    groups/tutors are v.helpful specially in the early stages
    daily practice -even if its only for 5 or 10 mins (obviously more benefit from longer sessions)

finally....

Do It!!!:thumbup:

• I found it easier to start meditating in a class,
    I should meditate every day, but never seem to. :(

Most Buddhist centres provide meditation classes without trying to convert you but beware of New Kadmapa Tradition (NKT) as many see them as a cult and should be avoided

• I am trying to find a class round here, luckily my fella works for the local paper so i'm getting him to look around for some. Hopefully they'll be something around here.
    Thanks for your help people!

• I started meditation classes a few years back but I find it better on my own . Meditation has helped my life in many different ways.

• I teach meditation and relaxation techniques. Up until recently I was actually doing this with the NHS!! Yeah, really.

I have very simple guides for meditation techniques which I can forward to any one who is interested.

• I found I couldnt meditate in a group, had to do it on my own and it has to be in silence. I dont think there are any hard and fast rules, just try what works for you.

• I find that some days the urge to sit and twitch just overrules my want to meditate, so I find talk through meditations quite helpful. If you have itunes or an ipod I'd reccomend 'chill meditation' podcast. Its short and a brilliant way to take some time out.

• I love meditation - it really helps to relax and center me. Even though I don't say focused for that long..my mind is often wandering..I find even a few minutes really helps me take a little bit of time out :)

• I've never really found classes in meditation much use for me personally.
    I suppose I tend to be a meditative type anyway, at least some of the time.

I find just sittimg looking out the window, or listening to music can put me as deep as any of the techniques I've looked into over the years. It s really just entering deep into oneself, maybe finding a quiet place inside.
    I feel that 'meditiation' is a quite natural state. I'm not sure if some who teach it aren't just on some kind of 'rescuer' trip? Some just seem bent on making cash from it.

reconsider what you have learned about life - choose to listen to nature's broadcast - the voice of earth....

• Hello,
    I've been playing around with idea of learning how to meditate for a while now & i was just wondering whether anyone here meditates & if you have any helpful hints or any information i should know about. I do know some basics (ie. about concentrating on the movement of breathing to start off with to improve concentration etc) but any more information would be very helpful.
    Thank you!!!

You can get a long way just by focussing on the breathing. Try counting your breaths and starting again when you get to 10, or when you find your attention has wandered. You may find you never get to 10, but that's cool. Try to just observe your breathing without self-consciously doing it differently from the way you normally breathe.

• Ive been meditating for 4 years and its done a great deal of good for me. Suggest you go to your nearest Buddhist centre for lessons initially. Avoid the TM guys like the plague. I have found meditating very compatible with the hippy lifestyle. However, to get the benefits it does require regular practice and therefore won't work if you are the type who likes to get wrecked frequently. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.
    love
    Paul

• Worth looking for mindfulness 8 week course in your area, also look up Jon Kabat-Zin on youtube or google search, books available on amazon....I found meditating as part of a group coupled to a regular daily practice best, also the best adivce in regard to meditation I received, is to begin bringing attention to daily activities, when walking to pay attention to the walking, washing dishes, pay attention and so on....this helps provide a balance to the sitting....also as shibari says....do it, just do it....ans as the resistance to practice pops into your mind acknowledge it, and without grasping on to it or pushing it away, come back with the attention to the now....its the only moment there ever is:)

• I think, above all, be kind to yourself. Be understanding of why your mind has wandered - as it will - 'cos this will help you integrate this 'distraction' into yourself too. It's all part of you and needs to be accepted. My watchphrase is 'kindly awareness'. Be well.

• Gurfateh

Thought someone may benefit from the link below, it offers free meditation guidance - i found it excellent, both Mindfulness using the breath as an anchor and also the Symran (mantra meditation). Powerful and very essential in this day!

stressmanagement.co.uk

• I really recommend it :) it's amazing to be able to just sit and feel like your floating in clear air :)

Been meditating since i was 10 :) and it's amazing helps me so much to just clear my head and body of all thoughts etc.. very cleansing i feel for the mind and soul :)

Peace to you
    xx

• I think finding a class or group to meditate with can be a good idea but there's plus and minus points. Its certainly not nessesary. If your serious about it then the quality of your meditation will improve whether your sitting in a group or alone. Awareness of breath or body are very good practises, esspecially for beginers. But the best peice of advice that anyone can ever give on this subject is STICK WITH IT! Try to make it part of your day to day life, even if you sometimes only manage 5 minutes. Mornings and evenings seem to be a good idea. Also I think that posture is worth mentioning. The one thing that all schools of Buddhism agree on even though they all have slight variations on medative practise, is keep the spine as straight as possible. And dont forget to make sure your comfortable. Its really no good straining your body into positions that it doesnt want to go, especially when you plan on sitting like that for a period of time. And dont fully close your eyes. Keep them half open.