best places youve gone in the uk, in your mobile homes

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• when me and my ex had a vw, we took the children for lots of weekends and weeks of traveling around the uk, the best i would say were the adventures in dartmoor, exmoor, and wales.
    we also went to scotland but that was in a car travelling around with a little tent in the back, that was gorgeous too - sigh sigh those times were really lovely.
    we parked up, washing up in a bowl outside with the light of the moon and the sound of wildlife all around, i loved being free, surrounded by only nature for neighbours and the trappings of modern life left far behind sigh....

for private/personal circumsances it is impossible for me to actually live on the road at the mo, but one day when the children are finished secondary education, im going to move in to a van and travel, at the mo the children want to travel with me but we will see what they choose to do in a few years time (but i really really hope they still feel the same then!), it been my dream for years.
    for now travelling at weekends and hols is going to be lovely and i wanted ideas, theres so many places in the uk to go - where to prioritise?

where are the best places youve been with your mobile homes, most friendly, most accomodating, most scenic, most memorable and etc do tell!.....

thanks
    x

Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rainbowgirl ().

• i love the uk, many people are so rude about the uk but its beautiful
    x

Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rainbowgirl ().

• Personally I love the highlands of Scotland best. We've travelled around a few times and always had fun. The locals have been more than welcoming. We were near Ullapool one time and it rained for days, then an old chap trundling past on his even more ancient tractor invited us to his farm, where his family fed us and got us extremely drunk and offered to let us sleep in the house. We declined their kind offer, but parked up on their land for a few days. It was great.

• There are 3 of us here reading this and we have various suggestions from places we've parked...

Hackney - Lots of scrap to pick up and 24 hour bagel bakeries

Loch Assynt - lots of places to pull in and totaly wild remote and dramatic

Ystrefelte - Small road north of this village, spectacular view.

Ivythorn common, Nr Street - Amazing verge, wide enough to park a bus at 90 degrees to the road, beutiful area but watch out for the locals!!?

(4 of us now contributing)

Norfolk - North of Dereham, on the holt road, about 5 miles out, on the left there are 2 roads which go to the same place, go past the second one and take the track on the right. Loads of space to pull off the track and live there for a bit.

Portsmouth docks: Waiting for a ferry - Because in a few hours I wont be here.......

The devils staircase on the Abergwesyn Pass - You need a good clutch and lots of horses under the bonnet, just pull over and park for bit when something overheats. Goes up 870 feet in half a mile.

Stonehenge - on June the 1st

LOL We're not taking the piss... This is from a collective 100 years of traveling British roads... We could keep on like this for ages.

• ermmm ok!!! ivythorn common - whats up with the locals then?

• ps keep on then feanor - im enjoying this! lol!

• this is feanor's mate robin.the locals at ivy thorne....lets just say they weren't to pleased to see us.can't imagine why,i'd have loved to see 20 buses and trucks turnin up in my neighbourhood.and i'd have left the shot gun at home !!!
    other places:
    tescos car park they weren't pleased but ideal for skip shopping

hay bluff above hay on wye but watch out for the wind

nursling pound! (ref. medieval brigands book)

Feanor taking back the keyboard here before Robin puts you off completely with the sugestion of more scrap havens.

The Applecross Pass on the road to Loch Kishorn, there is a layby at 2050 feet right at the top with half of Skye in view on a good day.

• oh right 20 buses and trucks, why, thats barely any, cant see what they had to be dipleased about lol!!

• the road down to studland in dorset used to be ideal, but they put a stop to it after a couple of travellers took the piss and stayed to long.

they dont allow any overnight camping there, but one night when i was having a "breakdown" the cops told me if it wasnt fixed by morning to try and move to the lookout point a little further up the road coz that wasnt counted in the place where you couldnt park.

this is not a spot to be abused because (as has already been proved) it would be really easy to lose it, but a couple of nights now and again will be fine!!

the cop told me so!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Pen-y-pass in Wales I think thes how you spell it. OMG beautiful raw and breathtakin

• Pen-y-pass in Wales I think thes how you spell it. OMG beautiful raw and breathtakin

oooooooh, that looks lush!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• It like a 7 mile road cuts clear through the mountains we stop and walk there and its just beautiful so stuning it makes my hair stand on end. It changes coulor with the seasons too I just love it so much .

• how wide and flat are the verges?

• how wide and flat are the verges?

Wide enough for you Clair, full length bus verge width and flat enough to drive on.
    Robin says if you send him £60 he'll come and tow you off again :angel:

• har har :pp

when did he tow me before though?

• i know where you mean, thats near where i live and that exact lookout layby crossed my mind already! parked there loads in a car just never overnight

ive been there will have to go back stunning

• I travel in a Mondeo rather than a camper but the best drives I know of in the UK are....

Cerist Pass - Wales - A470 Macchynlleth-Dolgellau rd

the back road from the A496 north of Dolgellau to Abergeirw then over the top and back down to Dolgellau the other way... No vehicle weighing over 2 tons will ever manage this due to extremely dangerous negative camber on one corner with an unprotected 300ft drop on the outside of the bend, also no vehicles more than 18ft in length - A Volvo 850 is the longest vehicle capable of making the turn after Pont Abergeirw unless you're REALLY unsentimental about your side-panels

Snake Pass. its even more exciting in winter.

Enter the Lakes from the north and head for Ambleside, there's a high pass of which I don't know the name

If you like slow scenic driving have a drive thru' the new forest too.. no real dangers but plenty sights and charming roads

Another one for the winter driving fanatic - wait for snow, pack a shovel and try to drive from Sleights near Whitby to Pickering, over Fylingdale Moor. I had to dig a Passat out of 5ft of snow after running into a drift up there.. but when its lighter,the driving is spectacular beyond languages' ability to describe