Toy Guns

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• That's a weird one. I don't like the idea of kids with toy guns, it just feels wrong. However, when I was a child I used to play 'war' with a big group of people at school and we'd all pretend we had guns. I think it comes down to education ultimately - letting kids know what a real gun actually does. But there are so many other factors involved in the attitudes that kids develop, so who knows?

• Oh blimey - Charlie has all sorts - a bow and arrows, water pistols, a light sabre :cool: he went through a phase of making guns out of lego. I steer him away from buyin proper toy guns though as it disturbs me. He rarely plays wars anyways - plays space lots :D

• Quote from Ma-Crap

He rarely plays wars anyways - plays space lots :D

good i kid i played space a lot too

as for guns it is a fine line i mean if you see the games they play on the computer i omg i played Mario and you jumped on there head and they disappeared now games like gta and they are so bloody and ppl scream and stuff freaks me out
    i mean are they learning a good lesson that death is scary or are they kids losing the right to be kids ooh big thoughts now i need to lie down

• Personally I think it depends on the child. The little boy in Czech Republic had a bow, but wasn't allowed the arrows, and he had a big heavy metal sword. He really was a violent child though - if he had any other violent toys, then I think us english visitors would've run off! He would whack you really hard with the sword (which was an old blade file or something i think), would hit you with the bow, and would try to tie your hands together with a bracelet he was given. He'd also bite and hit you really hard. He was so relentless and so angry! He really seemed merciless. Quite scary! He also had dreams of devils and wolves coming to kill him. When a toddler came to stay, his [translated] words were "I am an Orc and he is my prisoner!"
    I don't think he's the sort of child you'd want to introduce toy guns to...

As it happens though, I was the first person to introduce him to the damn things :rolleyes:. To keep him off the road when we were all walking to the mountains, I invented a game where you had to hide behind the trees on the grass verges and 'shoot' at all the cars and other people - the enemies - that went past. It didn't go down too well, when he started making shooting noises at his mum :eek:. She then told me about how they tried not to get him into any more violence.

The following week, another of us in the group bought him a water pistol... Big mistake!

But I do think it is good for them to know about these things. If you've got an especially violent child, i think it's important to try and encourage them to try out other things to put all their energy and imaginations into!

Love,
    Sunny
    xxx

• I agree with sunny...when i was young, i would make duff duff guns, out of bits of branch...we were all soldiers...If, the child, {male OR female..} has violent tendicies, then guns arent a good idea. Saying that, i dont agree with guns....

Today, is the 10th aniversary of Dunblane..16 children, and a female teacher, were gunned down, in a sports hall. Guns are wrong......pure and simple!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4798690.stm

Guns breed violence...i think..if children have guns, they must have an enemy..to have an enemy, they...and so on....{am i blowing this out of all proportion??}

:patch:

• I was never allowed toy guns of any sort when I was a kid, including water pistols. I remember on I think it was my 6th birthday a friend who came to my party gave me a water pistol as a birthday present and my mum made his mum take it back to the shops for a refund because she didn't want me having it.

I think that if its a toy gun thats made to look realistic (especially ones with sound effects) then their a bad idea, but at the same time most kids are gonna pretend they've got a gun anyway.(I remember that I improvised and used sticks and anything else I could lay my hands on that to my developing mind looked even vaugely gun-shaped)

If its something that still looks like a gun, but nothing like a real one, like a space-age raygun or something, then I say let 'um have it.

As for water pistols, its part of the summer fun experience! I felt I serverly missed out at times in the summer when I was younger cause I didn't have any water pistols and wouldn't dream of depriving my kids of them when they come along.

Saying that though, waterpistols are still fun even at 22, must admit me and the lads drive rounds in my mates car when its warm squirting people :harhar:

• We like waterpistols too. And water-canons, definitely part of the summer experience.

I don't like realistic looking toy guns, although my son was given one once as a birthday present and I let him keep it until the piece of plastic crap was broken. He also has a wooden gun with a cork in the end attached to a piece of string, which is much enjoyed for the noise it makes, but it doesn't get pointed at people.

I absolutely don't allow Gamecube games that involve guns and shooting.

• Quote from rainbow

I absolutely don't allow Gamecube games that involve guns and shooting.

:wall:

When will people learn that computer games do NOT cause people to become violant unless they've got something wrong in their heads to start with! Thousands upon thousands of kids play the GTA games and don't go and kill people, and the extremely small minority that do are fucked up to begin with. If you don't allow games where its shooting stuff that isn't human (such as the various games with different kids of aliens in) then thats even stricter and well out of order!

Would you allow your children to watch the Star Wars films, but not allow them to play the Jedi Knight games, which as well as letting you use a lightsabre, allow you to turn to the dark side of the force and use blaster rifles and other guns?

Computer games don't kill people, messed up kids kill people, when will people get this into their heads and stop believing all the media bullshit surrounding the subject?

• i think you are right. the games hurt nobody.:mad:

But i think that a child who is still learning how the world works should not be shown the disturbing images in games and films that are meant to be for adults. i think that gta is a gr8 game but i would not want my 10 year old nephew to play it! i think rainbow is right to decide what is correct for her own kids. you can do what you want with yours, but as you let them play there games of fun ,death and murder ,be sure to show them the videos of POW camps too and the diary of Anne frank as some light reading. So they can see that war is not fun!:down:

• If its a game thats rated 18 (like the GTA games) then I agree that kids shouldn't be playing them, but to allow no shooting games what-so-ever isn't paticulary fair.

• Thing is many nurseries and schools ban such "toys" so my son who for some reason has the urge to fight etc...used a toy kitchen knife and said I will destroy whatever.....I thought a knife was so much easier for him to get hold off in an every day situation than a gun and so allow him to have things like light sabers etc as they are not easy things to get hold of in this "big bad world" My son is very empathic towards others .....animals in particular why he wants to prentend to destroy things is beyond me

• Quote from Flibbertigibbet

Thing is many nurseries and schools ban such "toys" so my son who for some reason has the urge to fight etc...used a toy kitchen knife and said I will destroy whatever.....I thought a knife was so much easier for him to get hold off in an every day situation than a gun and so allow him to have things like light sabers etc as they are not easy things to get hold of in this "big bad world" My son is very empathic towards others .....animals in particular why he wants to prentend to destroy things is beyond me

Because he's a boy, and thats the kindda things young boys like to do

• Quote from Roach

:wall:

When will people learn that computer games do NOT cause people to become violant unless they've got something wrong in their heads to start with! ?

Wrong!! Sorry....Its been proven, time and again...

Quote from Roach

Computer games don't kill people, messed up kids kill people, when will people get this into their heads and stop believing all the media bullshit surrounding the subject?

Im not believing the hype, im looking at stats, and what information i have, that backs this up!!

:patch:

• Its still a minority that commit violant acts/crimes cause of playing games, if it was the majority then such games would be illigal to even make. As normally the majority are blamed for the actions of the minority

• When my little brother was little(er), my mum had to buy him plastic guns because he was always using sticks as guns when he played with his friends. He'd get cuts from trying to get the right sticks, and splinters and stab himself on the sharp bits, so it was less dangerouse to buy a plastic one for him. I think it is ok as long as a child doesn't show a strange amount of intrest in 'killing' and the whole gun thing.

I was told (a few days ago) by a little sod that I was dead, bang bang. Nice kid. I think when a child is 4 and playing killing its a little worrying.

• Quote from Roach

Its still a minority that commit violant acts/crimes cause of playing games, if it was the majority then such games would be illigal to even make. As normally the majority are blamed for the actions of the minority

I agree...games are a complete scapegoat.

Although I believe killing each other shouldn't be encouraged, it is only natural for kids to want to play with guns, swords etc. I don't see any thing wrong with it, kids grow out of it and start getting into cars, booze & girls/boys...

• I used to have plenty of toy guns and swords as a kid, and loved play fighting. It never did me any harm. My parents were quite happy to let me have them, though at the same time told me why I shouldn't join Army Cadets etc etc. I think toy weapons are cathartic. It's much better to vent violent tendancies through harmless play, than it is to use them in real life....

• Stats don't always tell the full story. You could see a correlation between playing violent computer games and a person committing violent acts. But that doesn't mean there's neccessarily a causal relationship between the two. It's just as likely that violently minded people will play violent computer games because that's what interests them, as it is that these games turn otherwise sound minded people into hooligans. It's also just as likely to have very little effect. I've played plenty of violent computer games, but I never felt the need to go out and kill a toddler or anything, and nor has anyone I know.

• Quote from Peace-Phoenix

Stats don't always tell the full story. You could see a correlation between playing violent computer games and a person committing violent acts. But that doesn't mean there's neccessarily a causal relationship between the two.

Yup. As an example, you could demonstrate that 80% of people involved in violent crime had eaten bread within the previous 24hr period. Oh my god! Eating bread directly leads to violent crime!!!

I play violent computer games. I enjoy 'em. I love unloading shotguns on computer characters. I enjoy taking my girlfriend out with a sniper rifle when LAN gaming. I relish obliterating my friends with rocket fire. And yet, away from the computer, I'm very strongly opposed to violence. I'm not a shrinking violet and I'll stand up for myself in a conflict, but violence is very much a last resort in my life. It's something that disgusts me. I can put my hand on my heart and say I'd rather live in a world where we all love each other and violence is a thing of the past.

And yet..... there is still a relationship between violence and compuer games. I think they can glamourise violence and contribute to a casual attitude to violence. But to say they cause it is just stupid. To say there's no link is also stupid. They're part of the picture.

But how far should we take this? If we're concerned about toy guns, then here's something else to consider: has anyone read the Celtic myths? How do you feel about them? They're about as violent as you're likely to get. Should we ban the Celtic myths because they glorify violence?

It's a difficult situation. As is so often the case, the truth probably lies somewhere between two extremes.

Personally, I would be reluctant to allow children of mine to play with guns. I wouldn't encourage it, because I do think it contributes towards a glorification of violence. It certainly normalises weapons and killing in a child's mind. I wouldn't forbid them though, coz I don't think you can enforce a view upon your child that potentially isolates them from their peer group.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

And yet..... there is still a relationship between violence and compuer games. I think they can glamourise violence and contribute to a casual attitude to violence. But to say they cause it is just stupid. To say there's no link is also stupid. They're part of the picture.

Games give people the opportunity to do things they never could in real life (be it violent or not). Particularly modern games which are more realistic than ever.

I think for this reason games could actually *reduce* crime - do it in a game rather than real life. Of course this could be utter rubbish, but I think it makes as much or more sense than saying games *cause* violence.

• Quote from Minwah

Games give people the opportunity to do things they never could in real life (be it violent or not). Particularly modern games which are more realistic than ever.

I think for this reason games could actually *reduce* crime - do it in a game rather than real life.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute, I suppose you could argue that giving people such opportunities could also lead to them developing tastes that they might not otherwise have done?

• Kids and toy guns, they're only following in the footsteps of what "grown ups" do in the real world, shooting each other and playing dead dosn't mean anything to a child, they don't grasp the context, they don't understand that at 5pm the war isn't over and everybody dosn't go home for tea, it's when it spills over into adult life with a bad twist that it becomes dangerous, I used to play with toy guns and it did spill over into my adult life, I'm a target shooter and I've also been trained by certain people to do room clearance and house to house fighting, I just like the opperational eficiencey, it's not that I'm violent or twisted (well, not like that anyway), it's just pricks like that Ryan guy, he went on a killing spree, people like that are few and far between, it wasn't gun related crime, which has nothing to do with playing with toy guns as a child, they're just criminals using a tool, which dosn't excuse it, but it's not an asshole with a screw loose because he had a toy gun years ago.

• Quote from Peace-Phoenix

It's much better to vent violent tendancies through harmless play, than it is to use them in real life....

fair point
    and yet you beat me up, punch through me.. and throw me in piles of mud...

I dont think videos should be blamed, theyre perfectly harmless for most people.. its the education that goes along side them that counts the most. children need to be taught that violence isn't right.. that there's a line between games and reali life..

• When my kids were small I wouldn't allow toy guns, but they just used sticks instead! I remember having a conversation with middle child, Ludo, when he was about 7, saying about how killing was wrong etc. and he put his hand on my arm, reassuringly, and said, "it's ok, mum, this is only pretend, I'm not really going to kill anyone." Kids also see lots of violence on TV (news as well as movies etc) and need to work that out of themselves. After the 9/11 bombings my daughter drew hundreds of pictures of the twin towers on fire with people jumping out of them - I think she needed to get it out of her system. It's more important how we discuss violence with kids, and that we don't ever use violence to settle our own issues, than what toys they play with.

• Quote from rachel

It's more important how we discuss violence with kids, and that we don't ever use violence to settle our own issues, than what toys they play with.

Spot on!

Though I believe there are any children for whom guns as toys will not affect them in adverse ways, I also believe that that there are some who should not be given guns.

Each child, indeed each person, should be judged on their own merits. Any blanket rule would not work, as people are individual and should be treated as such. Not by gender, age, race or anything else. It is not that we are all equal, but that we are all completely and infinitely different.

• Well, I was dead set against toy guns and weapons when Lewis was born, and said I wouldn't go down that way with him. Even to the point of trying not to have gender specific toys but I can assure you it doesn't work, as Lewis had dolls etc.. but still chose to play with his wooden train set... mind you he has never been into toy cars and typical boys toys as such. But as he grew, he became obsessed with having a toy gun, and kept asking for a gun.... then he found one when he was out with his dad one day (so his dad told me and as far as I know that is the truth as his dad was anti guns too). So we let him keep it in the end. So it went from there... although, because of my hatred for guns and what they stand for, I encouraged him to have a sword and knight stuff instead. I feared he would become another Michael Ryan if I didn't let him get it out of his system.

Although, I still find it hard to allow him to have these things, I also express to him the horrible truth of what weapons can do, without frightening him!! But I still refuse any action men and army stuff, instead I encourage knights and castles, as I think he can hardly portray the actions of a knight in real life, unless he takes up reenactment stuff. But he can still join the army sadly, which knowing my luck he will probably do ... but I hope not!!

Also, I have always told him to point away from animals and people when he aims his toy gun.... I have to say I rarely see him play with it now.