maximum wage

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Would a maximum wage work as an alternative to income tax?

It works like this. Nobody is allowed to earn more than maybe £40,000 a year ... Nobody needs to earn any more than that to have a decent life. Plenty of ordinary hard working people never ever see that sort of cash anyway.

Everything earned over that amount has to get ploughed back into the community.

The idea is that rich bosses will have to keep their own wages low so will start to increase investment into their workforces, the cost of goods will drop and everyone will get a better standard of living.

Obviously this all needs a bit more planning to close any loopholes.

So, although it will never happen ... could this ever be a workable option?

• I think you'd run out of companies to work for quite quickly. Why work hard to create a company and take the risks involved if you aren't going to get rewarded for it? I wouldn't do the 70 hours a week that I do if it was going to get capped like that. I'd go for a nice lazy job instead (Which I am planning on anyway - I'm only doing what I am to save some money and get out ;) )

• 'the cost of goods will drop and everyone will get a better standard of living'

Thinking about it.... will they? All that is changing is the mean income. The price of good will drop, but only in relation to this surely? In that respect the maximum cap is arbritrary - no one 'needs' more than £10k to live in our economic climate if they are forced to live on it.

Also... If a limit is set at £40k for people no matter what.... to make it worth while surely the people 'at the bottom' would see a dramatic cut in what they earn to make the difference in income sufficient for somebody to want to be at the top? Its almost as if what this would do would be to change the value of the £ in relation to any particular income as opposed to changing the spread of wealth in the general population.

• I don't know if it's a workable idea or not, but, I wish it was. I'm sick and tired of reading about footballers buying "bling" while me and my family can't even afford to buy clothes from anywhere except charity shops (but at least we've got clothes full stop). The distribution of wealth is fucking ridiculous both domestically and internationally.

• Quote from Boy Anachronism

I'm sick and tired of reading about footballers buying "bling" while me and my family can't even afford to buy clothes from anywhere except charity shops (but at least we've got clothes full stop). The distribution of wealth is fucking ridiculous both domestically and internationally.

Yup. Nothing wrong with charity shops though, although if everything has to be got from one they can be hard work. Charity shops seem to work better if clothes shopping is done on an opportunistic basis.

• Personally cant see it would be that viable.

It's only generally greedy fuckers who get rich. They also tend to be right bastards.

So someone who is a right greedy bastard ends up a billionaire....show me one who gives a monkeys about his/her workforce (and I don't mean some kind of paternalistic guilt trip crap) and I'll sign up for two of these please.:D

• Quote from Paul

Exactly, so if they can't develop a social conscience force the bastards to share.

The 40k was just a figure I pulled out of my head, it could be 100k though. I wonder what the threshold would have to be to eliminate poverty?

Personally I would recomend a choice....35 years of penal servitude, a neck shot or becoming a public servant investing 75% of their personal wealth until we recognised whether or not they were suitable for said position.:p

• Quote from Paul

I have no idea ... but I do believe that the wealth of this country (and this planet) is unfairly distributed.

I don't buy the "but they work hard for it" crap ... If you go by that then nurses and fireman should also be on 100k+ a year.

Ive never understood a society that doesnt pay these people that amount.

• Quote from Zonk

Ive never understood a society that doesnt pay these people that amount.

Even dustmen and street cleaners deserve to earn well ... where would we be without rubbish collections?

The typical capitalist will always argue that businessmen work long and hard for their wages, that we need them for the economy ... but so fucking what? especially when their jobs are usually totally dispensible.

• I think there should be a limit on how much money/stuff worth money someone can have at once. For instance I know someone who has about a million quids worth of cars alone...and hardly ever drives them. I think that's sickening for various reasons....

• Quote from Paul

Even dustmen and street cleaners deserve to earn well ... where would we be without rubbish collections?

The typical capitalist will always argue that businessmen work long and hard for their wages, that we need them for the economy ... but so fucking what? especially when their jobs are usually totally dispensible.

I agree with your comments about public service peeps. With the second point you make - surely the same comment can be applied to most jobs? (Surely including the public service people you previously mentioned if you want to take it to such extreme levels).

Until the very fabric of society changes I personally think we are going to either be stuck with things like they are now. Whether in a capitalist economy or in an economy based on something communist like the one you are suggesting in this thread (The guys at the top get perks instead of massive amounts more money - its normally called 'corruption' in the old USSR and in China) the rich/poor divide will still exist.

• Quote from Minwah

I think there should be a limit on how much money/stuff worth money someone can have at once. For instance I know someone who has about a million quids worth of cars alone...and hardly ever drives them. I think that's sickening for various reasons....

I see nothing wrong with a collection of nice things, but it depends if that collection is purely an investment rather than a personal interest.

Capitalism made those cars worth what they are ... however the sum of their parts is probably worth far less.

It's things like this that would make a maximum wage difficult ... people would be out buying all sorts of shit just so they could carry on their selfish ways.

However, if selling those cars constituted part of their income maybe they wouldn't buy them in the first place.

• Quote from crap muppet

Until the very fabric of society changes I personally think we are going to either be stuck with things like they are now. Whether in a capitalist economy or in an economy based on something communist like the one you are suggesting in this thread (The guys at the top get perks instead of massive amounts more money - its normally called 'corruption' in the old USSR and in China) the rich/poor divide will still exist.

Ah but you are describing the two major players who we keep refering to as communist when they were nothing of the sort.

State capitalist yes.....communist, definitly not.

No matter what our crap education system teaches us.;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_capitalism

• Sorry. I had to do a quick fix so my wording wasn't the best. I think you get the drift on my thoughts though. OK then State Capitalist - makes no difference to the argument.

• Quote from crap muppet

Sorry. I had to do a quick fix so my wording wasn't the best. I think you get the drift on my thoughts though. OK then State Capitalist - makes no difference to the argument.

Absolutely, was being pedantic!:p

Although having said that if we haven't yet had a communist type society we can't yet say that it wouldn't work....