What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Do you sell the van tassels?
    Thanks
    Box

No, but they were easy to make! It's just a length of cord from hobbycraft, and some of these tassels off ebay, all hung from tiny little sticky clips from homebase :)

This is fab! Where did you get the paper from? I want to give this a go.

Zo

Thanks! I got my decopatch papers here :)

I made this striiipey blanket for a friend I'm staying with for a few weeks on my holidays!

That is gorgeous!!! I love it :D

• Aww thanks, they take too long to make for me to sell them I think!

Isn't that why people pay more money though, to cover the love and hand craft that goes into it. If your doing it as a hobby, doesn't the money you sell it for give you something extra to go back into the hobby.

Something like this should last someone ages as well. So when you break it down over 20, 30, 40 or 50 years of owning it, the money invested doesn't seem so bad.

Box

--------
    If you sold it for £100 and someone kept it for 5 years, that would cost them 5p a day.
    £100 outlay is a lot, but 5p a day does not seem so much, and I bet they'd keep it for 10 years or more.

(at 10 years, it's 2p a day)

• You can buy booklets of interesting paper from craft shops. Me mum uses them for card making sometimes.
    Happy crafting.
    Box

But doesnt the paper have to be thin? I dont know cos i havent done t before but i imagine it would have to be thin to glue on and cover the item properly... not sure.

• But doesnt the paper have to be thin? I dont know cos i havent done t before but i imagine it would have to be thin to glue on and cover the item properly... not sure.

The web site http://www.thedecopatchplace.c…product/category&path=161

yes it is thin very thin - my sis did something like this and it might not be the ony way but she kind os stippled down - smoothed it on with a paint brush or sponge.

• Been a bit creative recently......

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I like the way you think, but I tried selling handmade stuff a couple of years ago, online and at fairs, and nobody seemed very willing to part with an amount of money that reflects how long you've taken making something (not to mention the cost of materials, insurance, tax, selling fees, and the amount of time taken to learn a skill to the standard that you're happy to sell it) Maybe I should have put cost break downs on the labels! 'keep this for 10 years and it will have only cost 2p a day!' :D

• I like the way you think, but I tried selling handmade stuff a couple of years ago, online and at fairs, and nobody seemed very willing to part with an amount of money that reflects how long you've taken making something (not to mention the cost of materials, insurance, tax, selling fees, and the amount of time taken to learn a skill to the standard that you're happy to sell it) Maybe I should have put cost break downs on the labels! 'keep this for 10 years and it will have only cost 2p a day!' :D

I know what you mean! My friend still wants us to do that craft fair she's been threatening me with for a couple of years, and I did at one point start making crochet things to keep and sell. But just the amount of time it takes to make these things (I was making little amigurumi things) just isn't worth what you'd have to sell them for. I just found it took all the fun out of it.

I agree it is hard to impossible to sell at a price that reflects the work, materials and skill. I was at a craft fare last year saw some real nice little hand made cards just as I paid and happily so the asking price a lady butted in with the "you should haggle its only card"!

• I know what you mean! My friend still wants us to do that craft fair she's been threatening me with for a couple of years, and I did at one point start making crochet things to keep and sell. But just the amount of time it takes to make these things (I was making little amigurumi things) just isn't worth what you'd have to sell them for. I just found it took all the fun out of it.

Some people have told me I should make crocheted stuff to sell but, I couldn't be bothered! I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to amigurumi and I hate making the same thing twice! Sewing is the way to go, I feel. I think I'll start that again once I'm back in Newcastle.

• I know what you mean! My friend still wants us to do that craft fair she's been threatening me with for a couple of years, and I did at one point start making crochet things to keep and sell. But just the amount of time it takes to make these things (I was making little amigurumi things) just isn't worth what you'd have to sell them for. I just found it took all the fun out of it.

If your doing this as a business, then part of that business is to get the materials, labour & marketing costs to a minimum. Then you make a profit.

If however, your doing this as a hobby, or to relax, or simply just to be creative with your time - then this is the reward in itself. The sale of the item should not need to cover your time, only the materials - your time has been rewarded to you as you worked on which ever project you were doing.

I guess that is the difference between business and hobby.

I know a guy here that rented some space off of me as he was a landrover enthusiast. He worked on his own landrover, in his own time, paying me the rent as and when due. He didnt get any profit from this as it was his hobby. He will soon build a new landrover from the chassis up, again, this will be his time invested & then on top he will pay the rental space.

Once he is finished building the landrover - yes, he could sell it on (he doesnt need it, he has one already) - Any remuneration he gets from the sale will probably cover his rent for the year, and maybe he will make a little on top - which he will probably reinvest into his own landrover - or into the next landrover project he starts.

The point I am trying to make is he is not doing this as a business, it really is for enjoyment, to pass his time being interested in everything landrover. If it were a business, he would really be looking at making a profit, and flipping a landrover every month or 2 weeks. As a hobby, he works when he wants and will maybe complete a landrover every year.

I hope this helps a few people. It's nice if a hobby can turn into a thriving business, but dont worry if it doesn't - it is your hobby and something to enjoy, not make us sad because we cant sell items for profit.

Box.

• Loving the rainbows! :thumbup:

I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.