What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• You guys are so talented! I like to try and make a few bits and pieces, usually wonky lol

Making a rug atm but it's ending up more like a basket :rolleyes:

• You guys are so talented! I like to try and make a few bits and pieces, usually wonky lol

Can you give me the instructions for rugtasket as every time I try for a rug it turns into a pear, or I will have a look at an example when your on dragons den:D

Are you crocheting it?

Just increase if its curling up and decrease if its going wavy. My first rag rug was naff but ive made about 50 and i finally got the hang of it :)

• i love how crafty everyone is here :) some very impressive bits & pieces, especially all the crochet & knitted bits (i cannot do it for love nor money) Amydave i love those handwarmers :D

i'm not as crafty because i usually end up hurting myself in one way or another (although i'm thinking of making a doll of one of my troll dudes i doodle occasionally)

however i paint, so here's my latest!

cockatriceWEB.jpg

• Woweeee I love this, I love crocheting but wish I could paint like you ! :)

• A dual purpose rug! You should get it on that Dragons Den :D

could be a hat too! LMAO

Can you give me the instructions for rugtasket as every time I try for a rug it turns into a pear,

I haven't even considered shape yet...just flat would be nice.:D

Are you crocheting it?

kinda....well I started out reading these online how to's... but never mentioned about increasing stiches, so got a tad tight, however because I can crochet, am working out where I went wrong and started again, so far flatish, just a bit lumpy on the edge heehee

however i paint, so here's my latest!

:eek: wow that is fab!!!

• Loves it has humour,narative,cutiness and fantasy fab artwork can see how you would be tempted to make a trollydolly maybe there would be someone on here to colabrate with:D

• I use either a 12, 15 or 20mm hook depending on thickness of strips and type of material. I find synthetic bedding the best for making rugs, I make the strips about an inchwide, use the 15mm hook and dont count stitches, i just make a spiral whether its round or oval and do it by feel if its looking a bit tight i stick in an extra stitch.

:)

• I use either a 12, 15 or 20mm hook depending on thickness of strips and type of material. I find synthetic bedding the best for making rugs, I make the strips about an inchwide, use the 15mm hook and dont count stitches, i just make a spiral whether its round or oval and do it by feel if its looking a bit tight i stick in an extra stitch.

yeah some of the material has been fraying badly, just using what was lying around, was an old pair of curtains and it's just breaking.
    Am using old t-shirts atm, again it's what I have rummaged out of the cupboards, have started doing what you said about just add or drop stitches, learning curve but relaxing anyway.......will post pics when done, should be interesting :S

• yeah some of the material has been fraying badly, just using what was lying around, was an old pair of curtains and it's just breaking.
    Am using old t-shirts atm, again it's what I have rummaged out of the cupboards, have started doing what you said about just add or drop stitches, learning curve but relaxing anyway.......will post pics when done, should be interesting :S

I loved making rugs but my hands now cant take it as they are dry and split. So I just stick to wool now.

The reason why I started rag rugging is because I couldnt afford yarn :)

• The reason why I started rag rugging is because I couldnt afford yarn :)

yeah have found wool has gone up, been making a crochet patchwork blanket for years, not finished because of the amount of wool it still needs (kingsize blanket!) but try and pick some up at boot sales etc when I see it.

Made patchwork quilts for the kids but that was using their old t-shirts, so at least had the fabric here, ok they are wonky too :o

would like to pick up some hessian and do the rag rug that way too.

• yeah have found wool has gone up, been making a crochet patchwork blanket for years, not finished because of the amount of wool it still needs (kingsize blanket!) but try and pick some up at boot sales etc when I see it.

Made patchwork quilts for the kids but that was using their old t-shirts, so at least had the fabric here, ok they are wonky too :o

would like to pick up some hessian and do the rag rug that way too.

Ive made a few latch hook bits, i found the cheapest way to get hessian was bags that had been misprinted, limits the size but they are very cheap on ebay :)

• thanks for all the feedback! the dragon chicken is a cockatrice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatrice and i love drawing little impy troll things (kinda made my own little group of them. one being my current icon) and i'm hoping one of these days ill have my own childrens book published :)
    id be interested in a collaboration (ive never done one! have always been interested in doing one though)
    my Deviantart (wouldn't let me post it in the DA thread on here http://kastmonster.deviantart.com/gallery/)

Skully you have a fab inking style! and i love the podgy cat drawing in your flickr :) oh and mr chicken <3

• I like that Skully! I'd love to have the confidence to draw in ink. I've been pencil sketching a little bit lately, but seem to have lost the knack!

I meant to get a load of stuff photographed this evening but it'll have to wait 'til tomorrow now, but here's another rag rug that I finished this afternoon:

rag rug #2 by inklehippy, on Flickr

rag rug #2 by inklehippy, on Flickr

• This is gorgeous!:wub:

Cuckoo - it took a few re-starts on the first one to get it to stop either curling up at the edges or going loose and wavy! Keep at it, it's fun! :)

• Nice rug Beachcomber.

Ink drawing just takes a leap of faith of not caring how the images come out. Sometimes they work and other times they don't but just draw them anyway. I have doodled the same weird stuff for years now. The little creatures and creations seem to leave my head via my hand without me thinking about it, in fact they look better if I don't think about it and just let them get on with it by themselves.

• I love that second sculpture cuckoo!! That would look great at the bottom of my garden :)

Skully - I'm quite jealous you're able to draw that way! If I want to do anything I'm happy with I usually end up with a headache from over-concentrating :rolleyes:. It's probably just lack of practice. Someone should dig out that old 'doodle a day' thread!
    ((P.S. I think your little characters would look good on stationery, like on post-its or notebooks or something :). Do you ever sell your drawings? ))