Apparently I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I just had the final test in a series of three to determine whether I had dyslexia or dyspraxia ... I'm waiting for the results back, but from what they tell me it seems that I do. :S

Funny thing is, I always thought it was just about the spelling; mine is fine and my punctuation and grammar ain't too bad either. So until recently I never thought this stuff would ever apply to me.

However, I can't read without losing concentration, can't form sentences very well, my handwriting is embarrassingly shite and I'm the clumsiest person I know. I also can't catch a ball or do anything else that needs a lot of hand to eye coordination. I haven't read a book for years.

Hmm, this feels really weird ... I'm almost disappointed that I'm "not normal", or that it's taken me this long to realise what the problem was, but also kinda relieved that I finally have an explanation to why I find some stuff so bloody difficult and why my coordination is so fucked. :rolleyes:

Hmmm ....

• hmm i've always wondered if i'm dyslexic, and my mum's wondered a while too. a bit of me would kinda like to find out if there's a reason why my writing skills are so shite, or wether its just the way my head is wired up. but at the same time i don't really want the label to be honest.

• Welcome to the club, I'm dyspraxic :(

It took me years to figure it out too. Like you, I can't catch a ball, I'm ridiculously clumsy, and my handwriting's terrible too :S

Do you find that you're always losing/forgetting stuff?

• However, I can't read without losing concentration, can't form sentences very well, my handwriting is embarrasingly shite and I'm the clumsiest person I know....

Hmm that sounds quite like me too...... :eek: though I can catch.....:)

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• paul i haveno coordination balance or spacial awareness and am always covered in bruises. i dont want to be tested and re labelled cos ive got enough of a dx going on and have enugh bloody labels weighing me down. just remember getting a dx just means you know the cause of things and youve got this far with it so its not the end of the world xxx sometimes getting a dx can be a curse cos then its all that gets focussed on instead of being a quirk of you xx :angel:

• my daughter has dyslexia and is dyspraxic ( spl), she is 12 now and was told at 7
    she plays netball for her school and also hockey,
    however she has progressed dramtically with her reading and writing using float lines
    but her organisational skills are horruendous lol we call her fish has she has a 3 second memory i have post it notes all over the place for her and everyhting is colour coded for school, she floats along in a bubble, and very scatty.
    but you get used to it and can be very funny

for instance i needed, some muscle spray, off my daughter went to the shop and she came back with

mr muscle kitchen cleaner :D

its not the end of the world

the jumping of sentences whilst reading could also being a visual perception ie tracking things visually

have fun its all good and you've got this far in life so it cant be bad

• my usual is walking into the frame instead of thro the door but i can park and reverse and manouvre a car better than anyone i know. how can i control a car but not know where in space my own body is go figure that one! youre paul and youre good enough x :angel:

• My dad is dyslexic, he will never pick up a pen and write unless he has to, he'll never read books, he'll always find his information off the internet, and he is one of the smartest people I know. I look up to him loads, his 'problems' with reading and writing are not an issue, we sometimes speak for hours about things going on in the World, science (which he knows I'm not too keen on but I listen anyway,) he talks me through experiments he tries out, things he makes and finds, plays on the radio, and others. He's a practical guy, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't feel that you're not 'normal,' what is normal anyway?:rolleyes:

• Do you find that you're always losing/forgetting stuff?

Yep!
    I'm another Dyspraxic person! With me it's mostly speech - I'll get halfway through a word and sort of lose it. Or manage to say *totally* the wrong word - it all sounds right in my head, it just doesn't come out like that!

Anyone with Dyscalcula while we're here? :D

• Coloured lenses can really help with being able to concentrate better on reading and stopping the words jumping about n distracting you... :)

• I'm dyslexic and glad of it. I may have problems with writing, reading, spelling etc, but I also see things differently to others and flip things to see things in a completely new light. I like having that. Being normal is over rated. To be honest I don't really believe anyone is "normal". We all have our own quirks and differences :)

• I'm dyslexic.. but it wasn't obvious until later on because I did fairly well in school with writing.

My words jump around when i'm reading and it takes a lot of effort for me to read in quantity. I found using coloured over-lays and strips really useful in college

• Yep!
    Anyone with Dyscalcula while we're here? :D

I've not been diagnosed with it, but I strongly suspect I have Dyscalculia, I really really struggle with maths/numbers. I was top of the class for English though, I have a very uneven skills profile, I'm either very very good or incredibly BAD at all the subjects.

Being diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyspraxia is a good thing is it not? I would think it would be a relief to know why you struggle with certain things and there's no stigma attached, it's not mental illness.

• I was diagnosed with dyslexia a couple of months back.
    I find text to speech software quite useful; and I seem to read better with a light blue coloured overlay. You can buy 'dyslexic rulers' for about £5 (various colours) which can help you focus on the page.

• My middle son has dyspraxia and ADHD ( makes for an interesting combination....runs all the time and falls over a lot!)

Making little organisational adjusments helps.... to get Tim out of the door with the right stuff in the morning, I keep a check list pinned up by the back door.

The catching a ball thing, if it's important to you, practising will work, but you'll have to do it lots more times than someone without dyspraxia...the big thing that has helped Tim was martial arts lessons, the combination of repetition of movements, having to follow instructions etc has been great, and it's improved his all over fitness enormously so he is now considered one of the cool kids in P.E. at school ( fortunately that's a problem you won't have :D )

I know it must feel slightly odd to get this diagnosis now, but it's got to be useful to you in understanding why certain things in life are a struggle...it helped Tim and helped us when he got his diagnosis, hoping it will help you too.

Just remembered, aren't you at uni? Because once you have a diagnosis you can often get extra time for completing examinations etc....might be something worth looking in to.

• my usual is walking into the frame instead of thro the door but i can park and reverse and manouvre a car better than anyone i know. how can i control a car but not know where in space my own body is go figure that one! youre paul and youre good enough x :angel:

Me too, give me a car and a matchbox and I'll park it on it, turn me round and expect me to walk in a straight line, forget it.

Paul, it is only a label if you want it to be. You only have to share this bit of information with people you want to, you dont have to wear it like a badge. If you think others will judge you because of it, just dont tell them, and they will just think your you.
    Finding out something in your head doesn't work properly is hard to digest, but it is only a name Paul, doesnt mean anything, x x x x x x x x x

• Our favourite hippy entrepreneur is dyslexic! my parents thought I was dyslexic and I did not do well at school which is why I trained as a chef.I did do Year Twelve Biology and English at night school. One difference between English at least was far more work.

Since then I have written so far seven paid articles for Grass Roots magazine. They picked my articles out of hundreds of others.

I equate intelligence with being a free independent thinker rather than someone who just recites dogma.

• Umm, anyway, I got my results today and it's all official - I definitely am dyslexic and dyspraxic; I understand the dyspraxia thing as I really am very clumsy. The dyslexia diagnosis seems weird though - I mean, my typing is fine and I don't have any real problems with spelling or punctuation - however, my handwriting and ability to follow written text is totally fucked and I haven't read a novel since I was a teenager - handwriting a letter fills me with complete dread.

Just remembered, aren't you at uni? Because once you have a diagnosis you can often get extra time for completing examinations etc....might be something worth looking in to.

I don't actually have any exams, but those who do get an extra 15 minutes for every hour of exam time - I also get a certificate thing to hand in with assignments; which might be useful.

I get a load of other shit that I didn't know about too - special software and all sorts; although I'm not sure how useful I will find any of it.

What I really think I need is a protective rubber suit and crash helmet :D

• well said weecab! and paul your work is so amazing its hard to believe you have difficulty with anything! you line shots perfectly and you can be trusted with ridiculously expensive equipment so youre label is only really there if you want to use it cos youre doing pretty bloody good dude! :angel:

• poor sweetheart! im always covered in bruises fromm walking into door frames and falling over but its all part of what makes you interesting and unique and lovable! :angel:

• My nipper is dyspraxic, and it seems likely that I might be too. I'm clumsy, somewhat forgetful (incredible recall of useless facts, but liable to forget to buy milk, even if that's what I went to the shop for), dreadful handwriting, co-ordination not the best (not a great catcher of things, though I can play all sorts of musical instruments, some of them in a very intricate way), disorganized, have to work hard to remember how to break down big tasks into little chunks I can do. On the plus side, I'm super-creative, can do a million things at once, never get tired, can always come up with an idea, a direction etc, and I believe this is correlated with my weakness in organisation and neatness. So, do I care? No. I don't need a diagnosis of anything to tell me I'm not "normal"!

• Anyone here who is dyslexic, have you tried those coloured glasses? I don't think these would help me as what I have trouble and always did is reading in light that is too bright.I don't know how anyone on a really hot day could read in strong direct sunlight.

Some Australians have some years ago tried teaching me to play cricket. I never ever learnt the rules.

• Firstly "Welcome to the [STRIKETHROUGH]Dailysex[/STRIKETHROUGH] Dyslexia clan!"

I've known that I was different in soo many ways once I started to mix with other kids in a learning environment. I was told that I had a borderline case of Dyslexia when I was 11 but as all the treatment at that time was aimed at primary school kids I was left to cope alone. I do remember having a heated discussion with a Professor that my dyslexia affected my maths (it was worse than my english/reading & writing) He was adamant, at the time, that Maths was not affected, then a few years later he brought out a paper on Dyscalcula. It's since been upgraded to a 50% loss in my affected areas.

There are loads of ways that my brain & memory work differently to "normal" people, sometimes to my advantage sometimes not. My best advise is to attempt to find your unique key - try to find out ways to do what you need to by using "coping strategies" eg I love using a keyboard as it allows me to "see" the words being formed as I type I also can't survive without a spell checker or a printer - for obvious reasons :)

In other words find out your strengths & use them Then find out ways to get around or support your weak areas. I find this a pretty good bit of advice for anyone - when I'm being philosophical.

If anyone wants a chat / moan about Dyslexia feel free to get in touch as I've been helping other adult dyslexics on & off for years :)

PS: I used to wish that The Profession, a short story by Isaac Asimov, 1957 was real.

PPS: no letters or words were hurt making this post but my smellchecker is totally knackered ROFL

Take Care all
    :xcoolsnow