Dont call me love.....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Calling older patients "dearie" or "love" is set to be ruled out as offensive by new guidelines from the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7748164.stm

Is this really offensive? Or a little too pc.....? ;)

Shouldn't we be more worried about the cleaness of the hospitals?

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• Oh it is fucking stupid.

Nurses know who and when terms such as "love" and "duckie" can be used. its not hard to gage who will find it offensive and who will be comforted by it.

It's just common bloody sense!

• Since when has that made a difference to the powers that be..... ;)

Pretty much never... I got a rap on the knuckles for calling a 22 year old bloke "mate" the other day. It was not taken in to consideration that he used the terms "Wicked", "sorted" and "cheers" during the conversation...

I am sure he was not in the least bit unhappy with me calling him "mate"!

rant over!:whistle:

• well i call peeps love and dony mind them calling me love. just dont call me duck cos someone i hated used to call me that :angel:

• its all madness!!! :mad:

I understand that there are times when such "endearments" could be deemed offensive, BUT....as moyne pinted out, most people know when something is appropriate or not.

whatever happened to common sense???

we're going to lose the ability to think for ourselves soon me fears!! :wall:

PS- I often refer to those I know well as "hello my love" - is this soon to be deemed offensive too???

• And if the patient is french or Spanish or German, I take it the Docs n Nurses will be expected to have a handbook ready with the pc terms for each language:whistle: References to i.e. Abba lyrics such as 'Mamma Mia' should be in carefully constructed sentences to avoid appearing over-familiar with Italian patients.:sleep:

• well i call peeps love and dony mind them calling me love. just dont call me duck cos someone i hated used to call me that :angel:

I call people 'me duck' sometimes, cos I was born in Derbyshire and it was a regional term of endearment. My Dad still calls my Mum, 'Me Duck' which I think is quite sweet.:)
    Further south in Leics people refer to each other as 'chick'.
    I've always found the term 'love' spoken by a stranger to sound slightly disparaging, especially by workmen. Mind you I'm not an old dear, so what do I know? ;) :D (not much since my short term memory went)
    I overuse the term 'sweetheart' or 'sweet' for short and also call men 'mate' (not women for some reason)

• I think this is stupid. I remember being scripted to call people sir or madam at my old job. But so many times it was easier to call someone mate or people actually said they prefered not being called sir or madam.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does

• I must admit i feel weird calling someone older than me dear or love or anything like that, if someone called ME dear i'd be gutted cos they'd think i was an oldie :eek: I mean i am compared to some like but i'm not pensioner old, waffling now.:insane:

• as a sheffielder 'love' is an integral part of the vocabulary - everyone calls everyone love round 'ere

complete lunacy...(the overly PC guidelines, not calling people love)

• I used to work in a nursing home for three years... in this three years i called them "darling, sweetheart, my love" this was one so i didn't have to call them mrs something which i find impersonal.. and plus they all loved me and said i was one of the most caring staff.. i see no problem in it if they don;t.

"I wish for this night-time to last for a lifetime, The darkness around me, Shores of a solar sea, Oh how I wish to go down with the sun. Sleeping. Weeping. With you"

I'd avoid Nottingham then... it's duck bloody everything round here, male or female.

• id quite like to see nottingham! my geordie friend called everyone flower :angel:

i got called 'flower' when we visited a camping shop in Wales :D
    i found it rather nice (but it was an older woman calling me it).

i hate when i deal with some young bloke who i've never met before who calls me 'love' i just see that as a bit degrading, but maybe i'm overly sensitive as i'm not used to it?

i wonder if in the States they've had similar legislation. as well, depending on how you are raised and what part of the country you are from it's quite common to call people: hunny, hun, darlin', sug(ar). This is probably one of the reasons I still use 'hun' or 'hunny' when talking to people. It's something I was raised with since birth practically.

I used to love going into shops and seeing some woman from the South and her say 'how can i help you, darlin?' It was truly a term of endearment and not meant in any derogatory fashion.

That being said, if a Doctor came in to examine me or speak with me and started calling me 'love', 'darling', 'my duck', or whatever cute phrases are used, i'd find it totally condescending and derogatory. There are times when pleasantries can be really pleasant, but other times when it's just something used to make you feel lower than the person you are dealing with.