Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey

Now when I finish college this year I am going to head out on the road for a bit. I am going to try and get about 2000 quid to source van and convert leaving enough money for diesel and for a few weeks on the road before i can source some more income. I have been looking at VW Type 4's and old mercs. So basically just want some advice on what van to go for and if theres anyone i can hook up with when i am first starting on the road.

Cheers

Tom

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does

• If u are going on the road proper and not just a night at the beach for the early surf think space! And head room! U want to be able to stand up and move around. I had a t4 before now lt28 both vw and i'd never go back to not being able to sstand up it makes all the difference on the road!

• I was thinking LT but there like the size of a small barn.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does

• Belive me it's not i'm just in the door from two nights in the derby dales on my own and everyspace was filled! But i stopped at sainsbury on the way back and it fits in and out a normal parking space just perfect!

• The last one i drove literally felt like i was driving a house and it hated hills, and i think i may go somewhere hilly.

• Now where did i tell u i've just been lol!!! You'll see a van and fall in love with it and it doesn't matter what it is because you'll love all the quirks! Lol. Good luck hunting though if u think hunting is fun wait till u get one!

• Its all going to depend how much time your going to spend in it, but seriously consider size over most other htings, youve got to be comfy and live in it if the goig gets bad and the weather turns you dont want to be huddles up in a small van, and once you get int o the swing of it trundelling the country side is a dream , who wants to rush any way, just chill and go wiht it slow or not. Go for size you can never have to much.

Good luck with it i hope it workls well for you:hippy:

• your not going to get a half tidy t4 for 2 grand,what about a ldv convoy ,plenty to choose from for a grand,leaves cash over for fuel,can stand up,and their wider.dont forget a t4 is only roughly 4ft wide.

• I have been finding really cheap LDVs, under a grand and such. Cheers for the advice

• Yeah, get a Convoy boy :thumbup:. Got mine for 19, but I need something to tow me trailer, act as a work horse and last a good while. For a grand you'll get a handy enough wagon. Durotorque's a good engine, but I've not known any of them break down on people more than any other. They're proper no frills motors, and if you want a bit of speed - search on. You'll get 70 out of them, but not much more and it won't happen quick - a good kicking in each gear on the way up. Either that or embrace the LDV way and take in the scenery. They even put on smaller wing mirrors so you don't have to look at the tail back you're causing :p.

As for head room - get a high top. If you're going to spend more than a long weekend in it you'll get the fat hump with hunching over all the time. You might get in more car parks in a smaller wagon, but you'll trip over putting your trousers on, knock the kettle over and wet your bed and curse the fucking low roof - trust me ;).

• Make sure you come to Birmingham!

bloody hell, im not coming to birmingham lol, ill get as far as london before i get scared of the north and turn back lol

• Are you going to be travelling alone?
    Its easier in ways but harder, easier because living in a small space with someone isnt easy BUT you have company!
    Space is important but you can get away with living in something small - just take limited stuff and dont buy odds and sods on the road.
    Do some reasearch before you head off and look for good park ups -you dont wannna be in layby's all the time. but then you dont wanna spend loads of money on park-ups either!

Ohh shite yeah trucks - whatever it will be im presuming under 3.5 ton, but thats doable (thats not even a word)Look on ebay and if your wanting i will have a look here.

Ohhh come to think of it I have a Amburlance up for sale - under 3.5, needs a bit of work but you can have it for like 500 quid if you want!

It did fail the MOT on a few things ut its a project

• Not looking at the moment hun sorry. Skinted. Yeah has to be under 3.5ton for insurance and my type of license.

• Well less than 3.5t and something insurance friendly, me being young and everyting.

• I used to have an VW LT31 as my first van, yeah it was quite spacious, but terribal economy and really slow and rusted to F*ck, i sold it in like less than a year.

Used to feel like it was gonna roll back down hills... lol

I got a merc now, so pleased I bought it, would hightely recomend.

For me head room, a permament double bed and burner is essential, but everyone is diffrent.

I park my merc in proper central london.... Its 6 metres Long, 2 metre wide and 2.5 metres tall and I have no problem in the tight, busy streets of the old smoke, dont worrie so much about the size of the van you will get used to it in no time!

• All the old big mercs are over 3.5t :( my license only lets me up to that :(

• Ahh see i was thinking bigger but you managed to shove ya woodburner and stuf in that

• Well I ideally wanted bigger, but find this one enought to handle....

Yeah I have a large wood burner, permement double bed that turns into a king if I want it, two chairs that can sit three people, a proper kitchen and large work surface. Plus I have storage in the back under my bed. Its a pretty big van, if I was to be in it fulll time I wouldnt want anything smaller however.

• Saying that I have friends that drive the bigger merc 508D long wheel base which are more like 7m in length and they drive on normal licence... Although that might not be 100% legal

lol

:whistle:

• Cheers for the advice dude, will be looking into mercs but wanna stay 99.8% legal lol