Smokers not allowed to foster

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7710371.stm

My cousin just posted this on facebook and i don't get what it is supposed to achieve??
    I completely understand the harmful effects of second hand smoke, especially in children, but does smokeing make you an unfit parent?
    Most parents who smoke, or smokers in general, would never consider smoking indoors in front of a child, i certainly don't.

I rekon most prospective foster parents would quit their habit for the sake of a child, but does is this really the way to do it? I thought the aim was to get children into safe loving homes?
    Smoking may be a safety issue but it is one that can be avoided through common sense on the parents' part. What about people living near a busy road? Should they be refused because of possible health issues?

How far will it go? Could someone like my sister be accused of endangering her own children for having a fag by the doorway when they're off to bed?

Maybe I'm not looking at this properly, but the above are genuine questions.

• I think it's ridiculous.
    My mom and dad both smoke and I haven't picked up their addiction, and even if I would have it's my own choice.
    Everyone to themselves, isn't it, so why should people be targeted for something such as smoking?

They might as well ban parents who eat fastfood and drink too much, as well.

• Its not only smoking they have a problem with.My mum & dad are great parents and role models but the autharties argued against them fostering because they owned motorbikes (aswell as cars).and classed my dad unsafe probably cos he got done for speeding b4 i was born) even though they both done the advanced IMA riding course.it is rediculas.
    They say they want parents to give there homes to kids in need but when they step forward to be counted,they are refused on silly terms. :rolleyes: I dont get it!!

• Lunacy. I smoke and regularly take the kids on the back of my motorbike. I've been done for speeding once, in a car on the way to work, 15 years ago. So what. We also eat well, the kids do brilliantly in school and vikki and I spend our lives ferrying them from one activity to the next. Oh and neither of us drink. Bad parents? Oh fuck off...

• Neither of my parents smoke ,my dad gave up so they could foster/adopt, mum never has and they rarely drink only xmas ect.
    What really pisses me off is that this is after about three years work having interviews,friend being intervied, and staments being taken, background checks everything..right at the last minute it comes down to one guy and HE decides a man who has an ego trip & no sense FFS:frust:.:mad:
    it's not even like there adopting a baby they were trying for a 7-8 year old+:(

• I dont think all smokers should be banned from fostering, but I think that smokers should have to prove that they dont smoke in the house at all. Passive smoking is very harmful and foster kids are not your kids, you are just looking after them for someone else and so rules that dont apply to parents should apply to foster parent.
    I know loads of parents who smoke infront of/near their kids I'm not saying everyone or even the majority do, but a lot do.

:couch:

• The ironic thing is that if a child who smokes is placed into a foster family they are not allowed to stop them, even if those fosterers don't smoke. The women from the foster service who said this on the radio said that they even have to buy them ciggies.

• damn right, too.
    what gives someone the right to permanently damage a childs lungs through their own selfeshness?? i heard a report on radio 4 that said that even if a parent smokes only outside the home, the childs risk of getting cancer and other smoking related illnesses is increased by a factor of 40 :eek: over a parent who never smokes. the carcenogens are in the parents hair, on their clothes. they get onto the childs toys etc.
    if you prefer smoking to raising a child, don't raise a child. simple really.

quote from the link;-

Cabinet member for children, Tory councillor, Michael Stark, said: "We know this is a difficult issue because some people will feel it is an intrusion on personal freedoms, but we also know that smoking increases the risk of serious illness in childhood."
    The council said the new policy was the result of scientific evidence which showed second-hand smoke to be a cause of lung cancer and childhood respiratory disease.
    It said young children were particularly susceptible to the effects of second-hand smoke because their lungs and airways are small and their immune systems immature

why should nicotine drug addicts be allowed to poison children?

• The ironic thing is that if a child who smokes is placed into a foster family they are not allowed to stop them, even if those fosterers don't smoke. The women from the foster service who said this on the radio said that they even have to buy them ciggies.

thats just left wing P.C. gone mad. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• thats just left wing P.C. gone mad. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No it's not, it's the same people who would rather have kids in care because there's a shortage of foster parents than put them "at risk" in a loving home because somebody smokes. You can't have it both ways mate. Some of these kids have come from violent, drug addicted, alcoholic, whatever, totally fucked up backgrounds and desperately need-and deserve to be able to live with a loving family. And you'se seriously believe that even if someone doesn't smoke at home that somehow the smoke will miraculously transfer to other people in the home and give them cancer? Oh god spare us, that really is mad.

• If a foster parent had a baby theres a chance they could smoke in front of the child - theres nothing worse then seeing a mum holding a baby and smoking - same as pregnant women smoking.
    I reckon if you are serious about fostering then dont smoke!
    Smoke IS harmful to children in the womb or when they are in front you you - needless to say smoke gets into your clothes and hair and the can still be passed onto the child like that.

I dont smoke in the caravan when there are kids in here, I dont smoke in the caravan when there are people who dont smoke here. Its a choice to smoke - and not a childs choice.
    I say good on them for making this choice - should have done it sooner in my opinion

• No it's not, it's the same people who would rather have kids in care because there's a shortage of foster parents than put them "at risk" in a loving home because somebody smokes. You can't have it both ways mate. Some of these kids have come from violent, drug addicted, alcoholic, whatever, totally fucked up backgrounds and desperately need-and deserve to be able to live with a loving family. And you'se seriously believe that even if someone doesn't smoke at home that somehow the smoke will miraculously transfer to other people in the home and give them cancer? Oh god spare us, that really is mad.

i think you've miss-understood.
    the comment was aimed at the non-smoking foster parents having to allow a smoking child in their home, not being allowed to stop them smoking, and having to supply them with their drug of choice.

• Quote from E.C.rob

the comment was aimed at the non-smoking foster parents having to allow a smoking child in their home, not being allowed to stop them smoking, and having to supply them with their drug of choice.

Its not pc gone mad,and its a bit misleading because foster parents dont have to let a child smoke in their house.A non smoking family would usually insist the child only smoked outside and thats perfectly reasonable imo.

Being in care is difficult enough,both for the reasons you got there and the reality of life as a 'looked after' child.Smoking is a comfort habit and a (mostly still) socially acceptable physical addiction and most kids in care have got much bigger issues to deal with then giving up smoking so its a matter of risk assessment.Smoking carries a long term health risk-and thats reversible if you quit while youre still fairly healthy.In the short term buying them ciggies and 'allowing' them to smoke somewhere safe carries less 'risk' than making it a huge issue.And foster parents can always say no to accepting a child,and give them back if its 'not working' so I dont really see that its a pc issue,just a practical one.

Preventing smokers from fostering is an issue though and it makes me mad:mad:.There arent enough foster parents already,and having a blanket ban on *most* things is a stupid idea because kids are all individuals who need different set ups and parenting styles.Obviously a blanket ban on peodeophilia is a good thing:p,and personally I think the ban on smacking etc is neccessary too because its a whole different thing using physical punishment on a child with 'issues'. But lifestyle choices shouldnt be a reason to turn down people who in all the important ways would make great foster parents.

My last-and best-foster mum chain smoked.And drank,a lot.And was seriously mentally unstable at times:eek:.And I didnt smoke at all when I moved in with her so you could argue that she was putting my health at risk through her second hand smoke.But she was the best place for me at the time,she gave me a sense of family and became Nana to my son when he was born.She then went and died prematurely,which is I guess a reason why smokers health should be considered when theyre applying to be foster carers,but not just the fact they smoke.Tis ridiculous:rolleyes:

• I think its stupid! you can argue that everythin is/can be bad for a child, as long as the child has smoke free bedroom it should be fine.
    I personaly wish evry1 could stop churning out yet more people and foster/adopt but unfortunatly most wouldnt be allowed so overpopulation goes on and on, whilst nice peeps who wanna care for kids cant cos they want a fag!
    I nearly got run over by a sum1 with kids in the car cos she was on da fone, now thats harmful to evry1.

• IThere arent enough foster parents already

That's what i worry about, i do think anyone who's seriously thinking about fostering would put a child before their addiction but as i personally know from smoking for 9 years, it's a bloody tough one to get rid of, and i worry it could potentially delay a child a loving home.