RNLI being shafted by HMG. (A petition)

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• :mad:RNLI being shafted by HMG

Please forward to anyone you think might help by signing the petition.

LIFEBOAT crews fear being scuppered by crippling new charges for using their radios from Ofcom, the communications regulator. The RNLI could see the price of using its VHF emergency frequencies rise to £250,000 under plans to charge the full commercial rate.

The charity, which saves hundreds of lives every year currently pays an annual £48,000 at a discounted rate of 50 per cent. It relies on donations and fears the move will have a disastrous impact on fund-raising. Peter Bradley, RNLI operations staff officer, said: 'It's a lot of money when you think in terms of lifeboat days and little old ladies collecting pound coins.'

'We could buy several inshore lifeboats for the same amount.'

'The Government rely on us to provide this search-and-rescue service, at a cost of £124 million a year, but they want to charge us for doing it!'

Ofcom has set out plans to bring 'market forces' into maritime and civil aviation communications in a policy it calls Administered Incentive Pricing.

£250,000 represents an awful lot of charity collections, even more so in the current economic climate so, if like me you feel strongly enough about this, please sign the petition below.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RNLI-RF-licences/

• Signed!

Deadline looks to have been extended to 8 October 2009.:)

• And with our Sea fairing history and tradition....Nice one for this Greenthing, Ive emailed this around my work mates and everyone has signed it!

"We come in peace" they said, to dig and sow we come to work the lands in common and to make the wastegrounds grow this earth divided, we will make whole so it will be a common treasury for all.

• my old fella used to serve on the blackpool lifeboat Maria Noble back in the early sixties i got some photos of him from the r n l i archives in poole

p.s signed

• my old fella used to serve on the blackpool lifeboat Maria Noble back in the early sixties i got some photos of him from the r n l i archives in poole

Nice one Pugwash and your old fella is brave.:thumbup:

• Have you guys read the government's response? They seem to think it'll cost the RNLI less than before.

That sucks it should be free.

• So they expect thousands of ordinary people to dip into their pockets to put a quid into the lifeboat box at the chipshop or wherever in order to pay them? It's just insane

It looks that way Julianthegypsy.
    I dont mind putting spare change in the box at the chippy.
    I do think the goverment know that, so they dont give a flying fuck do they.

• Just tried to sign but I think it's closed now - either that or I just misread it. I wonder how funding would go for a charity emergency service if old glass eye, cripple lip Brown found himself stuck at sea :mad:. Personally I blame the decay of our country on the aftermath of the reign of that satanic old cunt Thatcher, ever since then there's been price tags on everything. Makes me want to smash stuff up... obviously I won't but you know what I mean.