Spider =D

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Anyone got any clue what this littleun is?

Im not normally cautious about spiders but i havnt got a clue what sort she is, ive never saw one before.
    I found her on a book under my bed which is now completely covered in some sort of fluffy spider silk:eek:
    She is pretty though :wub:
    Sorry the pic is so small, someone needs to explain macro to me :rolleyes:

• Thanks anyway kevin :)
    I have been looking as well and i think ive got a false widow sitting in a jar :D
    And it looks like its unusual for them to be this far north so i must be special :redsun:
    Environmental health say to kill them caus they bite but i think im gna set her free, and claim im a buddhist, ive been seduced, shes far too pretty

• There are little markings that can only be seen on macro to make definite her type.

If you have a digital camera, look for a button that looks like a flower (close-up). Don't zoom, just get as close as it will focus (when the little flower shows, it will focus much more closely).

• Thanks anyway kevin :)
    I have been looking as well and i think ive got a false widow sitting in a jar :D
    And it looks like its unusual for them to be this far north so i must be special :redsun:
    Environmental health say to kill them caus they bite but i think im gna set her free, and claim im a buddhist, ive been seduced, shes far too pretty

Saw these on the news recently. They've been in the country a while but are starting to move further north - although they didn't explain why! They certainly didn't say kill them! They can bite but it's not fatal....

• There are little markings that can only be seen on macro to make definite her type.

If you have a digital camera, look for a button that looks like a flower (close-up). Don't zoom, just get as close as it will focus (when the little flower shows, it will focus much more closely).

okydoke brb
    i think i know who she is now though

• I cant get a better picture but shes just had a crawl around the bench and i caught her markings.
    I'm pretty sure shes a false widow by the paler marking around the top of her abdomen, in case anyone is interested.
    Im letting her go live in the woodpile after ive gotten to know her better and maybe grab a better picture. Once she's settled im planning to go scouting for more under the bed :)
    Thank you all for your help

• Step away from the spider :eek:

Agreed. It's too bad spiders have such a bad reputation, especially since it's based on ignorance. But it's also bad to think they're friendly little creatures, because that's also based on ignorance. If that is truly a false widow, you could end up in the hospital if it bites you. It might also bite someone else if you let it go. If you want to let it go, let it go on a remote island! haha.

• Its a false widow honey, they are moving north because they are very, very adaptable and are becoming more used to the climate. Be careful, they can bite and penetrate human skin (i have been bitten by a spider and it isn't pretty), the bite will necrotise the skin. As much as it isn't a fatal bite it will make you feel pretty shit, more so than a wolf spider, so best not piss it off. Woodpile sound like the best place for her................she is beautiful...:D

• Keep it away from birds.......

----------------------
    "People who give up their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
    ----------------------

• ----------------------
    "People who give up their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
    ----------------------

• i love her :cry:
    She's really shy and timid and if i let her out of the jar she just crawls back in. Its really wet tonight so shes got some leafy twigs and a fly in a supersize, minni air holed jar till morning :hippylove Then ill leave the jar opened on its side on the woodpile,:violin:

I havnt found any babies or baby nests under the bed as of yet but going to have a hoover through just for the doggy and bunny's sake, especially as they both like playing with spiders.

Thanks for the warning weecab, i actually picked her up before moving her to a jar so aint gna risk it again

Lillian says hi to you all :p (yes ive named her) and will pose for some photies when shes not as scared :)

• Are you sure that was a real bird? It may be wishful thinking, but the breast looks painted.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of spiders. Anything that can build its home and let the food come to it has to be a step up on the evolutionary ladder.:D

• There is no way that bird is being attacked by a false widow, they aren't that big for a start, the only spider that I know of that attacks bird is, funnily eanough, the bird eating spider, and it is the size of a dinner plate, and incredibly rare, think it is the peruvian rain forrest you come across them..................

Chegzy, don't be picking her up again sweetie, she should only bite if shes scared, and she will be, they are not aggresive spiders but dont take the chance. When I got bitten it was by a wolf spider, on my foot, the bite went black eventually which was the skin necrotising.......(turning to liquid under my skin cells),:eek:, took months to heal and was bloody sore......x x x x (dont think a bunny would survive honey if it was bitten so be extra careful hoovering, I have bunnys too lol)

My best spider moment was seeing a real Black widow in the wild, and a funnel web.........awesome x x x x x

• Awww, she is absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

I saw something on TV the other day about false widows becoming more common in this country, but from what I can gather they'll only really bite if they're provoked. Lillian seems to like you, so I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

And more piccies when she's not feeling shy, please!

• There is no way that bird is being attacked by a false widow, they aren't that big for a start

definately, shes smaller than a pea

When I got bitten it was by a wolf spider, on my foot, the bite went black eventually which was the skin necrotising.......(turning to liquid under my skin cells),:eek:, took months to heal and was bloody sore......x x x x
    My best spider moment was seeing a real Black widow in the wild, and a funnel web.........awesome x x x x x

Ill take your word for it, that doesnt sound too pleasant at all! Shes safely outside now but still in the jar having made a web and tucked the fly in to sleep.
    A real black widow would be amazing to see, but i doubt id befrend one of those as quickly :)

• I like your spider, however the big one is freakig me out..

Plus I just answered the phone at work...."Hello your though to Hannah a Nurse SPIDER"!!!!!!!!!!