OAK DRAGON - Creative Change Camp

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• OAK DRAGON

Creative Change Camp

Rites of Passage and Community

Gloucestershire 4th – 13th August 2006

Every summer, around the ancient festival of Lammas, people of all ages and from many walks of life, gather together for 10 days and collectively create a safe and caring community, living closely with nature. This forms the energetic structure in which a variety of workshops, ceremonies and celebrations take place, and is the spirit of Oak Dragon Camps.

For 2006, the camp will be focussing on change and transition both in our personal lives and beyond. As we change within ourselves, learning to live in more inner peace, so we can bring that back from the camp into the outer world, integrating our experiences, thereby making small changes to society.

"Inner peace leads to world peace" H.H. Dalai Lama

Rites of Passage, celebration and ceremony, held within a supportive and caring community so frequently lacking in today’s western society, is an important part of acknowledging changes within ourselves, helping us to move harmoniously through times of transition.

Events at the camp may include:

• Ritual
    • Dance
    • Dowsing
    • Drumming
    • Guest Speakers
    • Shamanic Journeying
    • Labyrinth
    • Runes
    • Storytelling
    • Sweat Lodge
    • T’ai Chi
    • Vision Quest

As well as ceremony, there will be opportunity to explore the theoretical and creative sides of life’s changes, with a variety of workshops exploring the ways and means of change, as practised in a variety of cultures, and craft and music workshops to explore with fun a creative expression of our individual or collective transformational journey through life.

It is amazing the magic that can be created in a field, on an organic farm close to beautiful woods near Cirencester! Come and be amazed, create, have fun, share in celebration and ceremony, make new friends, and return to normal life. To “be the change you want to see in the world!” (Ghandi)

KARMIC WARNING! - Oak Dragon May Change Your Life!

For more info go to www.oakdragon.org.uk or contact me at willsecretan@hotmail.com

• Sounds good, i could do with a life change......though im a tad - shy away- from all those *life changing*...ritual typeee festivals....who knows i may change my mind. I could do with some silence and meditation....Thanks Fagan....

:patch:

• sounds amazing...can't commit as i have no idea what i'm doing in august.. my degree will be over then:(...i...may...have...to...get...a...proper...job :sos:

• Quote from Exedous

Sounds good, i could do with a life change......though im a tad - shy away- from all those *life changing*...ritual typeee festivals....who knows i may change my mind. I could do with some silence and meditation....Thanks Fagan....

:patch:

Well if you come you're more than welcome to take part in the rituals and ceremonies or just chill out by your fire and meet people or go and walk in the forest that surounds the site and meditate and watch the wild life - we have lots of hares, rabbits, foxs, badgers, deers and birds of prey.

There are also lots of other things going on besides the pagan/magic orientated stuff. There will be stuff that's more focussed on eatern spirituality. There will also be lots of arty stuff going on and lots of music. There is nothing more fantastic than sitting round a fire late at night having a beer or a smoke and taking part in a totally spontanious bit of music.

• Quote from scarlettdee

sounds amazing...can't commit as i have no idea what i'm doing in august.. my degree will be over then:(...i...may...have...to...get...a...proper...job :sos:

job my arse, u should run away with the hippies to the Oak Dragon!

• Thelemite ey? Well I think we might find it very interesting to have a thelemite in our midst, lapsed or otherwise. I'm sure you will be able to find some very interesting conversation around the camp fire regarding all of that. As long as you don't mind the relaxed way in which we go about our rituals.

• ahh i've been a member of a moot for a few years now, am more at home barefoot in the woods than i ever was in a temple:angel: ...as my mate says...''your not a ritual magickian...your a nice pagan like us''...used to be part of the ritual planning group, but life and uni have got in the way at the mo' and am looking forward to going to the PF conference in Bude next weekend:D

• Well at oak dragon there's really room for everything. We have druids, wiccans, shamans, occultists, buddhists, and many more. Of course the camp isn't just about the spiritual. We have our fair share of hippies, hairies, travellers and even a few 'normal' people.

• I would be definately interested in going... will have to see how things are working out nearer the time to be honest cuz i need money and that means working extra hours. If i have saved enough for college then i shall be more then happy to go, otherwise i shall have to work out a compromise of sorts.
    Anyway will check back later. :)
    Peace and Love :hippy:

• well it would be lovely to have you brother. i'm aware that the money is a big issue for a lot of people and it does seem expensive (the price is £111 for anyone who doesn't know). But I reckon that's pretty reasonable when you take into acount that it's a 10 day gathering and there are all sorts of workshops and happenings going on at the camp.

I hope that you manage to get the money together and come along.

• will do my best, cuz it sounds really great. By the way, are tents provided or brought along? cuz if i was to come along i would have a 25 kg quota for luggage on the plane and the tent is 11kgs, that doesnt leave alot of room for essentials.
    Then again all i need is a spare pair of underwear, and MAYBE a toothbrush :D
    Peace and Love:hippy:
    ps.. for anyone who didnt get it the underwear and toothbrush part was a joke.

• are they cool with people just turning up for part of it?

i would really like to go, but have some other things on and would only be able to make a little bit of it.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Irish Hippy, we don't provide tents so you would have to bring your own. There's plenty of cooking equipment to share though. Most people will lend you things that you don't have. A lot of travellers I know carry very little with them; a tent, frying pan, cup, spoon and the clothes that they're wearing. You don't really need many clothes when your in a field as the wood smoke just covers any nasty human smells.

Stardust, I'm afraid we don't encourage people to only come for part of the camp. Because an Oak Dragon camp can be a major spiritual process for some people it can be dificult to have people coming and going and it also hinders the jelling of the community.

• As well as other guest speakers and teachers at the camp, Professor Ronald Hutton of Bristol University will be giving a talk at Oak Dragon this year. Ronald is a leading authority on the history of the British Isles in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, on ancient and medieval paganism and magic, and on the global context of witchcraft beliefs. He is also the leading historian of the ritual year in Britain and the current world expert on the history of modern paganism.

• Quote from scarlettdee

really..says who ?

Well it's generally accepted in academic circles. I took that little description of him from the Bristol University website. He's been coming to Oak Dragon for a few years now and I can vouch for the fact that he's an extremely good speaker and very knowledgeable, whether or not he's the world expert.