Medicines

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This is a weird one. Personally I'd rather not take them but then I've never had anything serious enough to worry about. Saying that, I got prescribed Iron tablets by a doctor earlier this year for anaemia that I'd had for about a year and I got about 8 boxes of pills and they bloody had gelatine in them!! It did really piss me off 'cos all doctors involved knew I was veggie, I guess it's not something they think about.

On the other hand - what if you're veggie for religious reasons? There must be alternatives surely, I may speak to a doctor about it next time I see one (iron tabs still sat in my cupboard....)

• you could .. depending on the problem go to a health store and ask about alternatives

I dont like taking anything the doctor gives me, but Ive never had anything serious like ...
    most of the peeps in the stores have known their stuff though whenever Ive been so could be worth a try xxx

• Quote from littlesausage

you could .. depending on the problem go to a health store and ask about alternatives

I dont like taking anything the doctor gives me, but Ive never had anything serious like ...
    most of the peeps in the stores have known their stuff though whenever Ive been so could be worth a try xxx

Well in this case it was antibiotics and I was bloody ill. They were probably tested on animals anyway.

Damn the lack of choice we have sometimes.

• I avoid gelatine , and touch wood have no medicine to take.
    Why on some foods it says 'suitable for vegeterians' but it contains gelatine ?... I alwas assumed it was because it fell in the realm of being a vegan ?. Anyway i avoid it.

• There is actually a natural iron drink you can have..

CAlled SPATONE

100% natural and good on the stomach

ingredients... natural water with a high content of Iron Sulphate

Come in a big box and you have one a day mixed with juice or water

You can get it in boots

Docs won't recomend it, but nice midwifes and health visitors do

• there are a few things at health shops which might prevent you getting bugs and things. as for the geletin there is a veggie version!!!!but sadly all of the stuff doctors use ARE tested on animals which is horrible, but they wont stop it - i wish they did

• Quote from Dapablo

Query, is all gelatine animal based ?

No..

Household gelatin comes in the form of sheets, granules or as a powder. Instant types can be added to the food as is; others need to be soaked in water beforehand.
    Special kinds of gelatin are made only from certain animals or from fish in order to comply with Jewish kashrut or Muslim halal laws. Vegetarians and vegans may substitute similar gelling agents such as agar, pectin, or konnyaku sometimes incorrectly referred to as "vegetable gelatins." There is no chemical relationship; they are carbohydrates, not proteins. The name "gelatin" is colloquially applied to all types of gels and jellies, but properly used, it should refer solely to the animal protein product. There is no vegetable source for gelatin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html

• I-gave-up-my-prescribed-medicine-2-weeks-ago...

Partly-because-of-gelatine...but-also-because-of-animal-testing

Boycotting-etc-is-good-on-a-personal-level..but-we-need-to-directly-target-the-companies-and-culture-to-make-change-IMO

The-whole-industry-needs-to-change

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• Quote from Dapablo

Query, is all gelatine animal based ?

Well-you-can-get-vegan-omega-capsules-now..so-the-coating-must-be-an-animal-free-gelatine-alternative...

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• Sorry Claire, I hate treading on your toes.

Do not encourage people to give up prescribed medication, your above statement does, there are ignorant souls out there who may take your statements with authority.
    You need to state what medication you have abandoned, in respect of your kin.

Disrespect of the Petro-Chem industry is fair enough, and I agree should be actively encouraged, far as my mind can make out they are a load of...
    expletives... Apologies.

• Have to agree with Dapablo on this one. Unless you have a lot of money to pay for some serious alternative therapies, if you're very ill there's no question of boycotting drug companies. I hate modern medicine and especially the drugs industry, I despise animal testing but would you trade your life for your principles if it came down to it? If you were suffering from cancer and in severe pain would you refuse the drugs to help you?

I completely agree however that the system does need to change. Modern medicine is based on profit and dominated by the drug companies. I think (and hope!) that things are slowly changing - those that can afford it are turning to more holistic therapies, some surgeries are encorporating comp. therapies into their practise, private healthcare is rife with alternatives (although maybe that's the money talking....)

Anyway, with morality comes responsibility so don't go advising those diabetics to give their insulin huh?! ;)

• It's about choice ... For instance, I would hesitate before condemning Inuit people for eating seal meat or fish when they depend on it for their survival and have very little in the way of alternatives. (not talking about seal culling, that's a seperate issue)

It's the same for us; we can easily choose to avoid most animal products but in the case of medication our choices are almost non-existent. Simply not enough money is invested in finding alternative cruelty free medication.

• Quote from Paul

What do people do if you get prescribed a medicine and the capsule casing contains geletin?

I had this a while ago and the doctor said there was no alternative available

On the very rare occassion I have gone to the doctor and had an antibiotic (try to go the alternative medicine route firstly) I did have the same problem but I emptied the contents (throwing out the outer capsule as it was geletine) into a piece of squidgy bread and made a dough ball and then ate it quickly coz the taste is disgusting. Fortunately, that has only happened to me once in all the years as a vegan, as ethically conventional medicine is not for me but sadly I didn't have a choice that time.

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

• Yeah you can get vegecaps but doctors dont prescribe these, only healthfood shops have products with these. There is something called gratefruit seed drops, this is a natural antibiotic and can be bought from the healthfood shops. Also to boost your immune system try echinacea, the native americans use it. It is a purple corn flower and grows on the plains of North America. Brilliant for boosting the immune system :0).

Even look up a homeoapathic alternative and buy one, I have a good family homeopathy book I refer to and then go and get a remedy if possible. I am not a professional but I use them for my own family and they do work. I gave my son chamomillia for his teething and colic when he was a baby, it worked a treat. Then Stonesy was ill the other day being sick and stuff (ok he was on the lash the night before) but he was unusually quite bad with it the next day, so I let him suffer all day hoping it would work itself out of his system naturally He he he and then gave him a remedy in the afternoon, in an hour or so he was up and about feeling better. All self help and cheaper than going to an alternative therapist.

Sometimes we have to give into conventional medicines as there are limited alternatives but where I can I will always opt for alternative remedies first :0)
    Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

• I'm-allowed-my-opinion.-I'm-not-encouraging-anyone-to-do-anything...stop-baby-sitting-people....:frust:

By-the-way..it's-only-medicine-for-skin-problems-not-bi-polar-or-cancer-or-anything-like-that:)

I'll-clarify-my-position.

Individuals-boycotting-products-dosn't-make-enough-impact-IMO...so-I-boycott-for personal-reasons-mainly...and-wouldn't-cut-off-my-nose-to-spite-my-face...

I-would-encourage-people-to-help-organisations-that-target-legislation-and-the companies-themselves-if-they-wanted-to-make-a-difference...rather-than-giving-up meds-that-could-increase-their-quality-of-life.

hope-that-makes-things-clear?

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Absolutely agree. Vegetarianism should be something that guides and informs our lives - not a set of intransigent rules and restrictions.

agree here too.. its all about choices... and quality of life is something to take into account here when it comes to medication..

i'm all for making a stand for better alternatives... and perhaps my deepest concern is animal testing... rather than the gelatin issue... i can see that if a synthetic substitute is available one day perhaps all drug companies will use it... on the other hand i cannot see an end to animal testing..not without massive protest.. and protesting these days has more and more restrictions on it...:plod:: :rolleyes:

• On a personal note I do not take conventional if that is the correct word medication I believe (and the mind is a strong thing) is very rarley needed. Alternatives are not necassarily expensive. I think prevention is better than the cure and by eatign a good healthy vegan diet I miss out on many illness's ....but on the other hand I have had a terrible headache today and just used tiger balm as I think of the suffering of the animals when feeling pain and they have no choic.....I hoever do have that choice and can not allow something else to suffer so I dont feel that same pain....

mmmmmmm sure i am sounding up my own arse here but that isnt the point i am trying to express......

• Quote from Flibbertigibbet

. I think prevention is better than the cure and by eatign a good healthy vegan diet I miss out on many illness's ....but on the other hand I have had a terrible headache today and just used tiger balm as I think of the suffering of the animals when feeling pain and they have no choic.....I hoever do have that choice and can not allow something else to suffer so I dont feel that same pain....

mmmmmmm sure i am sounding up my own arse here but that isnt the point i am trying to express......

Nah, not at all, and good on yah :0) So right about prevention is better than cure, sadly most of society expect the pieces to be picked up after they have abused their bodies, and often still continue after they are mended again :0(

Tiger balm is great if you catch the headache early enough :0) Don't you just love the cold sensation it gives you hehehe

• I utterly agree with the prevention bit and agree that most people just want the cure! I bumped into a guy I know today who's recently qualified as an acupuncturist and was trained in massage years ago, he was saying that so many people go to him as a friend and complain about stress but never actually take him up on the acupunture (he charges £10per hour for unemployed and £20 for employed - very reasonable!) he said he hears so many people say they haven't got the money but will then happily spend the same amount on beer getting pissed. As a society we just don't care enough about ourselves. There's an example on the forums of someone who wants to stop drinking - after lots of advice he then says 'but I need reasons other than my health' but surely that's the most important reason? Health seems to be frowned upon in the west, I just don't get it. :(

• so true

diet exercise and relaxation (of the mind too...meditation etc) really help you stay fit

i only ever get ill when i've not been looking after myself

I got psorasis because of stress...partly hereditory but the trigger is stress

although somethings are hormonal

• Quote from Claerie

although somethings are hormonal

True but then, hormones are affected by diet and environmental factors. However, I don't know the extent that hormones can be controlled by food but there are obvious things such as pre-menstrual woman shouldn't have sugary foods although they'll probably get cravings. Urgghh, I dunno, it's all so complicated!!!

• Quote from Earth Whirler

True but then, hormones are affected by diet and environmental factors. However, I don't know the extent that hormones can be controlled by food but there are obvious things such as pre-menstrual woman shouldn't have sugary foods although they'll probably get cravings. Urgghh, I dunno, it's all so complicated!!!

sure is!

I know my spots are a hormonal thing..grrrr:(

have 3 big buggers right now...the antibiotics were keeping them away, but am controlling them pretty well without the tablets so far

taking antibiotics for years cant be good for your friendly bateria, plus they were gelatine coated

• Quote from Claerie

taking antibiotics for years cant be good for your friendly bateria

Nah, not good at all! Plus it stops the body from fighting its own battles and can create stronger viruses!!! Nasty nasty, but can be a god-send sometimes! :D

• With Gelatin capsules you could but them in vegetarian capsules instead (but then you still have the gelatin capsules whether you eat them or not). This site sells vegecapsules along with alot of other stuff! - http://www.deva-ethnobotanicals.com/products.php?id=14

Spots? Sugar seems to bring spots out on me and my family, I've found Aloe Vera helps immensely and apparently more so when it has Tea Tree oil in (should be easy enough to find as a gel in a big toothpaste tube style thingy). If antibiotics work on them then I definitely recommend Aloe Vera, it SHOULD help

• Sorry Paul, I hope you dont mind me asking and I know it was a long time ago .. but what exactly was wrong with you? You can email me if u like ... I know bits and bobs about alternative remedies and if you like I ,might be able to recommend something ... even if you were seriously ill most illnesses stem from simple things and if you work at combatting them it is better than masking the syptoms with drugs.
    eg. if it is liver/kidney related ... you work at clearing toxins and if it is stomach/bowel related, you work at re-ligning the stomach ... you prob know all this anyway .. but if you would like some innocent advice .. just ask
    :)

• Quote from Paul

What do people do if you get prescribed a medicine and the capsule casing contains geletin?

I had this a while ago and the doctor said there was no alternative available

Empty the powder from the inside of the casing and down it with a mouthful of water and bin the capsule.

I know it beats the objective because an animal has had to die but its better than swallowing the gelatine, i cant believe theres no alternative though, its not right