do you feed meat to your pets

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• dogs and cats have sharp teeth to rip meat and digestive track that digests it well ........ we have blunt teeth and digestive track of herbavore, therefor i dont have a prob with giving em meat , tried my dog on veggie dog food but she didnt like it

• i'm pretty sure that cats need meat in their diet as there's some protein or soemthing they can't get without it. i think dogs are generally ok on a veggie diet, just has to be right for the dog really.

• We do. We buy the most ethical stuff we can afford. My cats were totally veggie (yes, on a specially formulated food, obviously - not just nibbling on carrots!) and I have to say they were very happy and healthy on it, but Mr Tigermousey prefers to give them meat, so when he moved in with me I trusted his judgement on it as he has such a strong affiliation with cats.

For me, it's not really about 'justifying' actions, its doing what feels right for us, and trying to judge what is best for the animals who share our lives.

• I suppose what I was really asking was..if you dont eat meat yourself "as a matter of principle"..how do you justify feeding it to your pets?

I couldn't even justify having a pet , think is all wrong

• I suppose I value the well being of my two companions to that of the unseen masses. I want whatever is best for them, within my budget. Currently that means meat based kibble. Its not something that has ever caused me an ethical dilemma.

• Post by campertess ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • we have a cat who used to come and visit us lots when Russ lived here, and he wanted to feed her, but wouldn't buy the meat...i couldnt afford to so sometimes he would feed her stuff i had in the fridge for sandwiches instead! she gets water and a stroke now. :)

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• Post by muffy1956 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I am veggie becuase i can survive being veggie...if i couldn't survive being veggie i would eat meat...likewise if my pet needs to eat meat to survive then i don't see what is wrong with feeding it meat...it is best obviously to buy in that case the best meat you can afford...but then i am not against eating meat as such, i am just against eating meat unnecessarily and the barbaric way we go about it in this society...

• Why? Is the intent to critique vegetarians?

not at all.. but it appears to be running wider than the initial purpose so I cant see a reason not to move it "before" wider views are expressed. I certainly dont want to start a thread that leads to an expanding debate that offends anyone simply because it is in the wrong place. likewise it would be a shame to stifle the natural flow of the discussion..

(next time I will be more careful where I start threads:thumbup:;))

• not at all..

In which case, it's fine where it is. If you're soliciting the views of vegetarians, then the thread is in exactly the right forum.

Having already encouraged vegetarians to discuss their choices under the protection of the veggie forum rule set, I don't think it's fair to move that thread to a forum where those views can become subject to criticism from omnivores. If you really want to raise this issue for open discussion, then start a new thread please, so that people will be clear what type of topic they're contributing to.

• In which case, it's fine where it is. If you're soliciting the views of vegetarians, then the thread is in exactly the right forum.

Having already encouraged vegetarians to discuss their choices under the protection of the veggie forum rule set, I don't think it's fair to move that thread to a forum where those views can become subject to criticism from omnivores. If you really want to raise this issue for open discussion, then start a new thread please, so that people will be clear what type of topic they're contributing to.

:thumbup:

• I've thought about this quite a bit over the years. It's a tough one.

We have a cat who we feed normal meaty cat food. I'm not really happy with that - I don't think it's right to kill a load of other nameless, faceless animals to support my one 'pet' one at home. I don't really feel that I'm entitled to do that.

But that is what she needs, and when we got her we committed to take care of her and fulfil her needs, since when you take an animal out of 'nature' you take away its ability to fulfil its needs itself. So it wouldn't be fair to feed her inadequately just because of my beliefs.

(Or at least, I thought that cats needed meat - I'm really surprised to hear about the veggie cat food PTM - what's it called? I heard that they need taurine which is only found in meat, and without it they will go blind? Unlike dogs who I've heard can be veggie without it causing any health problems.)

Maybe 'ethical' meat would be better - I might think about this - although it's not me who pays for it so it's not really up to me! Although, to me that's still not great as I disagree with the whole idea of rearing animals to kill them.

So... I would really think twice about getting a cat of my own in the future, because of this. I really do love cats though, so it's a dilemma :( I think I'll probably have a house rabbit or a guinea pig for my next pet since they're veggie and really cute! It would be nice not to feel guilty about feeding my pet.

• Quote from justme

I heard that they need taurine which is only found in meat, and without it they will go blind?

It's also found in Red Bull. Not that I'm suggesting that you give your cat Red Bull :whistle: :insane:

• Lol :D (PS - Does that mean that Red Bull isn't veggie then? Not that I drink it anyway.)

I'm pretty sure it is veggie actually. While taurine can be extracted from cows intestines, the people who make Red Bull have found a way to synthesise it. :)

• Ooh, that's interesting - maybe that changes things on the veggie cat food front. Cheers for the info - still chuckling at the thought of my placid little cat on Red Bull! :insane:

• (Or at least, I thought that cats needed meat - I'm really surprised to hear about the veggie cat food PTM - what's it called? I heard that they need taurine which is only found in meat, and without it they will go blind? Unlike dogs who I've heard can be veggie without it causing any health problems.)

yeah, it has taurine in... gimme a sec and I'll see if I can find it for you...