Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i'm the complete opposite. even in the face of absurd danger i remain completely ambivalent/complacent/asleep

• Me too. I'm an insane worrier and therefore anticipate problems and work myself up over nothing. I'm very self conscious too so I'm nervous quite a bit of the time....

• Count me in. I'm like a dog with a bone when something worries me and I can't seem to let it go. In my 30s these worrying problems turned into full-blown panic attacks (although there were extenuating circumstances that made it worse). I have found that the best way to deal with it is to simply stand back, figure out whether or not worrying will actually change anything, and if there is nothing I can do to change what I am worrying about, I try not to. Obviously, much easier said than done. It's as if my mind can separates into two - the intellectual and the emotional and never the twain shall me.

It is awful, sweetie, but as you get older you will find ways to cope and manage the anxiety. However, I do think that it is simply part of anyone's personality. If it helps, I also think anxious people are highly empathetic, which is a good thing.

xx

• Me too. I'm an insane worrier and therefore anticipate problems and work myself up over nothing. I'm very self conscious too so I'm nervous quite a bit of the time....

:bighug: one for you to

• i am a born worrier and have only just recently learnt to stop worrying about stuff that is way beyond my control and even stuff that i think might happen.
    to worry a little and get anxious is normal but when that anxiety clouds your judgment and starts takeing you on a slippery slop to deppression its time to act now and not suffer later.

• I get terrible anxiety at some job interviews as in my body will start to sweat prefusely it sucks so badly. i had one session of therapy for it and they taught me to be more assertive the therapy worked I was taught how to spot it coming on and that nothing is as bad as your mind can picture it to be . i think it's down to the fact I'm an honest person who wants to speak my mind and can feel the words in my head and panic a wee bit coz i don't want to let them out my mouth as it's not the situation I should speak my real thoughts.

most of the time I'm very nonchalont my girlfriend might even say flatlined with unenthusiasm he he.

I dont worry about many things apart from people that are making decisions that are gonna affect my life judging me negatively but i feel after the realisations I had on monday it should all be fine from now on.

peace

• Me...I am miss anxiety...I worry constantly...i get panicy often...its a bit shit really, i do wish it wasn't like this, but then i wounder if i would still be me if i wasn't like this?...As much as i hate it, i think its a part of who i am...

• It is awful, sweetie, but as you get older you will find ways to cope and manage the anxiety. However, I do think that it is simply part of anyone's personality. If it helps, I also think anxious people are highly empathetic, which is a good thing.

xx

I so agree with this. My husband says that I simply do emotions more than any other person he knows, in any given situation I will have thought out a thousand possiblities of what's going to happen and have worried through most of them.....he just gets on and does :rolleyes:

As you get older ( yes hit me now, I know that's probably not what you want to hear right now ) you get better at dealing with it, and find out what works for you.

There are some great bible verses about worry and anxiety, have a search if this interests you, I find repeating them over to myself helpful, but I realise that is not for everyone:hug:

• Amongst other things I'm diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder and I had selective mutism as a child. I am the most highly strung intense person I know.

Anxiety has almost destroyed my life, massively impacting everything I do. It is still crippling but in the last couple of years and after much in-depth reading of psychology and personality types, I have a new understanding of myself and know what I can and can't cope with.

Also, as Muffy said, anxious people have certain gifts, empathy being one of them. That, I have in excess.

• *raises hand*

i can't really talk about it all at the moment, due to how i'm feeling lately; but i have had quite bad anxiety issues for years now. i've been given official diagnosis years ago of having bad 'general anxiety disorder' and 'social anxiety disorder' ... both usually culminating in panic attacks when they choose to flare up.

no offense to Greenthing, but the very worst thing someone could possible say to me is "don't worry" because it's not something i can just shut off (though believe me i wish i could).

• yup me too :(

I'm sure worrying uses half my much needed calories each day ya know.
    but stopping it is easier said than done :frust:

• me only sometimes it is worse than others. ive recently had a seriosly bad do but im fighting to get out the otherside. the other day i had an asthma attack then as a result a panic attack then as a result an ibs attack. all this and on ma own with 2 children 2 and under. i try to hide what i feel from them coz i dont want em copying and sometimes i feel a bad mum for it.

• I do have occasional anxiety problems - but always about really arbitrary things these days... like every so often the phone ringing makes me feel really anxious and stressed and I can't cope with the idea of answering it and speaking to someone, but there are times when I can quite happily chat on the phone... and to be honest, I haven't noticed any real pattern with it, it's totally random as far as I know. Strange cookie, I am ;)

From the age of eight to around fifteen I barely slept at night, because I would lay awake worrying... not necessarily worrying about anything specific, just general anxiety. I used to shake with it. But that was because I was under a lot of emotional stress and unable to do anything about it - so my unhappiness about my life manifested itself in all these little worries and fears and they would become a huge insurmountable suffocating wall around me. Around the time of the solar eclipse, I totally convinced myself I would go blind. I was obsessed with the idea for probably about a year... which seems completely mental looking back, but at the time, although I knew I was being irrational, it still felt so very real.

Bleugh, dark days indeed!

• I often feel anxious, i work myself up worry about things, its a horrible feeling. I often feel sick and dizzy and suffer with headaches because of it. I have learnt to deal with it by drinking lots of camomile tea and using lavender they are both really calming i feel a great release from anxiety when you use them. Also getting some fresh air, seems to calm me down a lot. Try to avoid caffeine and sugar as they can make anxiety worse.

• feel for you all cause its painfull stuff. and it can be very counterproductive tryin to get your head round it.agree? that said, when you do overcome it/tame it, your one step wiser. your prob a more grounded person and know your head better than most know their own.

muffy and ethereal put it nicely.... keep your empathy close to you

dang, can even get anxious writing this.

• I had a job interview today and for the 1st time didn't get anxious it was great.

I do however have big things on my mind at the moment that probably completely cancelled out an interview making me nervous.

• Muchly agreed - ciggies make you unbelievably anxious, as does caffeine. Sugar and carbs give you that sinking energy trough which triggers a bit of depression too :(

Foods n fags aside, I think lots of lovely people actually get very anxious because they are always worried about something. They're always thinking of something in the future that hasn't happened yet and they're tying themselves up in anxious knots about it, always thinking of the worst case scenario. That doesn't help, even if the worst case scenario happens - there's still the disappointment so you've not 'prepared' yourself for the worst. What you've done is just make yourself feel miserable and anxious for longer :rolleyes: Try focusing on what is happening right at this minute - nothing else. And try doing that longer and longer. You'll find that you'll start to feel a bit more relaxed by taking things as they come.

Another big cause, I think, is internal dialogue - loads of people have constant internal dialogue rushing through their heads (on the other hand, talking to yourself, I maintain, is a healthy thing. Is it, Nursey? Yes, yes...). this internal chattering is so distracting and stops you from really being in a moment, enjoying it. :D

• yeah, im a constant worrier too.

does mean i get stuff done though, but the energy i waste doing it is unreal :rolleyes: im nearly always completely exhausted after uni.

• i suffer anxiety if i have to talk to people in shops my words all get muddled and i end up looking stupid

• I have found that the best way to deal with it is to simply stand back, figure out whether or not worrying will actually change anything, and if there is nothing I can do to change what I am worrying about, I try not to.

That makes so much sense :thumbup:

• I have anxiety disorder as well. It is horrible, but it's gradually getting better (i think!). I am on medication for it, which of course helps. The odd thing is that i'm a really sociable person & i love meeting new people etc but this anxiety holds me back from doing that sometimes.
    I don't drink anymore- although i still smoke & i never found that to make me any more anxious, actually i think it helps. But i don't eat chocolate or drink coffee anymore. Herbal teas all the way with me now!
    Also actually you could get some Rescue Remedy, my driving instructor gave me some & it is great for when you're feeling a bit nervous stressed etc.
    In the end, i wont say 'don't worry' because i know that's impossible, but just try to think of all the things you enjoy doing & all the things you want to see. I don't want this to ruin my life & keep me trapped indoors, so force yourself to go out & do things, it'll be fine in the end!
    :bighug: