vegan/veggie alcohol

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Please post what brands of alcohol, (anything wine, beer, spirits, cider) you know to be vegan or veggie here...say if its vegan or veggie...

becuase i always find this confusing seen as barely any bottles i see around state if they are or not...

i know most ales are probably not..

and alot of whiskeys and wines

how about rum?

thank you x

• I had a bottle of wine from the Co-op the other day that said clearly on the label that it was vegetarian. So they seem to be better than most at labelling whether it is or not.

• As posted here
    sainsburys strong dry cider labelled vegitarian and vegan
    (its only just changed)

• make your own
    you dont need all the fancy stuff the books tell you
    got 3 gall blackberry and 2 gall rosehip mead on the go at moment

simple recipe
    carton of any juice
    2lb suger
    yeast i use bakers yeast it a lot cheaper but fizzes up a lot at the start

in a demi john add
    4 pints boiling water
    juice
    suger
    stir well and leave to cool
    when cool add teaspoon of the yeast
    fit airlock
    after initial fizzing has calmed down top up with cooled boiled water
    ferment out
    bottle
    can be ready for drinking within 2 months

• I've heard the co-op are the best super (ish!) market for veggie/vegan labelling.

yeah and you can ask the staff to see lists of which products are veggie/vegan too (although i've never tested this)

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• i'm lactose intollerant and i'm sure heineken is not vegan but vegitarian.
    They use milk by products in the finishing process to make wine ,beer,lager,cider and spirits clear.
    I never get a reaction when it is actually labelled vegan as opposed to trusting an outdated website.
    The label rules and if it labelled vegitarian it is not vegan as well.

• westons organic pear cider is lovely and my favorite.
    Plus in asda it is reduced to £1.20 for a 500ml bottle at the moment.:clap::thumbup:

• Corona is vegan.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved package, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...........WOW!! What a ride!!!"

• Most gins, ciders and similiar stuff should be vegan (mmmm Pimms...) and most lagers aren't. Don't know any more than that...

Oh woe is me, oh woe is me, I used to have a hamster tree.

But it was eaten by a newt, and now I have no cuddly fruit,

Oh woe is me!

• What I'd like to know is who the hell discovered that sticking the shredded stomach of a sturgeon fish in finished beer made it clear in 3 days rather than 3 weeks.
    I mean it's disgusting stuff (I worked in a small brewery for a while) and you really wouldn't want to add it to anything you were going to drink it stinks! I mean who woke up one morning and thought hey lets stick this really stinky fishy stuff in the beer and see what happens. So how did they come across it what else did they try first? The mind boggles.
    There are some vegan ales around, Sam Smiths for one.

Have nothing in your house you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

William Morris

• Most gins, ciders and similiar stuff should be vegan (mmmm Pimms...) and most lagers aren't. Don't know any more than that...

you'd be surprised how many ciders arent vegan. I know westons and scrumpy jack are. Magners & blackthorne arent, strongbow sometimes is, depends which bottling plant it comes from, which of course you dont know!! cant be much more help than that as i'm not a cider drinker!

carlsberg, grolsch, becks, heineken, starpromen, stella, budweiser are all vegan

• Yes the Co-op are by far the best at labelling and indeed stocking veg alternatives. My local Threshers used to have hand-written notices saying which wines were safe but they seem to have stopped.

• What I'd like to know is who the hell discovered that sticking the shredded stomach of a sturgeon fish in finished beer made it clear in 3 days rather than 3 weeks.
    I mean it's disgusting stuff (I worked in a small brewery for a while) and you really wouldn't want to add it to anything you were going to drink it stinks! I mean who woke up one morning and thought hey lets stick this really stinky fishy stuff in the beer and see what happens. So how did they come across it what else did they try first? The mind boggles.
    There are some vegan ales around, Sam Smiths for one.

I agree kayaka it is disgusting, and so many people are unaware of it too.It took me ages to realise i was consuming fish that way.Ewwwww!!! I now tell everyone i know.Even meat eaters.They turn their noses up too when they find out.

• Would you believe that Budwieser is vegan. Fraoch Heather Ale and Kelpie Ale are both veggie.....also Cairn A' Mhor wine is veggie....all scottish except Budwieser of course

Carlsberg Special Brew is 100% VEGAN!!!!!!!!!!!

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."