I got told off

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Can we keep it civil please?

I don't think he told you anything. Milo posed a question.

Now that's not an unreasonable question to pose as the starting point for a debate, is it? It's one I've posed myself many times, and to which I still haven't entirely worked out the answer.

i disagree...Milo quoted me 3 times in one post...first he added on (farm) animals, to the end of one of my sentences...in effect putting words in my mouth that were not how it was intended... then he took another sentance out of context ignoring all i had said around it which again totaly changed the intent of what i was saying....and he finaly ended by saying that how could I properly care for animals if i consistently... (and he quotes me again here) leave people to eat what they choose...

I took Milos post for exactly what it was....a direct attack on my opinions rather than a discussion on the subject. I took offence at the way he added to and distorted my opinion.

I fully intend to keep it civil Dok if that is what you wish....but i should be shown the same courtesy in return. It was my perogative to take offence when it was my post that was being disected and edited by another member.

• Quote from Anusha

i disagree...Milo quoted me 3 times in one post...first he added on (farm) animals, to the end of one of my sentences...in effect putting words in my mouth that were not how it was intended... then he took another sentance out of context ignoring all i had said around it which again totaly changed the intent of what i was saying....and he finaly ended by saying that how could I properly care for animals if i consistently... (and he quotes me again here) leave people to eat what they choose...

I took Milos post for exactly what it was....a direct attack on my opinions rather than a discussion on the subject. I took offence at the way he added to and distorted my opinion.

That's not how I read it at all. However, launching into an attack on Milo isn't going to resolve anything - it's jsut going to start an argument. If you feel that's what he's done, then please point it out politely.

I fully intend to keep it civil Dok if that is what you wish....but i should be shown the same courtesy in return.

And I expect you to be shown the same courtesy in return.

It was my perogative to take offence when it was my post that was being disected and edited by another member.

Take offence by all means. But please respond politely and with civility.

• Earlier on a friend sat in front of me eating a sausage sandwich ... I made some throwaway comment about how that sausage was once a real life animal before having it's throat cut and dying a horrible death.

all you were doing is staing a fact mate, if they can't handle it then perhaps they should change their habits.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Yeah, this is one of those strange ironies that I've noticed. Veggies are always getting accused of preaching, and yet it's usually meat-eaters who're trying to shove their opinions down our throats while we quietly try and get on with our lives.

Although I've helped out on veggie and general AR information stalls (where people came to us if they were interested, we didn't approach them), I've never been one to comment on my omnivorous friends or work collegue's eating habits, but they have always felt my dietary choice fair game for riducule and snide comment. It was bad enough when I was vegetarian, but when I became vegan it got even worse. Most people these days can understand why you wouldn't want to eat meat, but few can grasp why dairy products and eggs are off the menu as well. I don't make a big thing about my diet, I keep it to myself as much as possible, but when people find out they can't help but comment and it's rarely positive.

• Quote from spacehopper

I don't make a big thing about my diet, I keep it to myself as much as possible, but when people find out they can't help but comment and it's rarely positive.

Exactly. I'm much the same. At work, I don't think I've ever mentioned my diet to anyone (except other veggies), and yet it still seems to come up as a topic of conversation reasonably frequently. Which makes it seem strange to me that this myth of the preachy veggie still persists. Sure, they exist. But in my experience, meat-eaters are much more interested in preaching to us than we are in preaching to them.

• Quote from spacehopper

Most people these days can understand why you wouldn't want to eat meat, but few can grasp why dairy products and eggs are off the menu as well.

But i love the response you get when you tell someone you don't eat eggs. First they laugh in your face, then say "eggs aren't baby chickens you know!".... :rolleyes: No shit. At least then you can laugh in their face and tell them it's actually because of the cruelty involved in obtaining eggs, both battery and free range.