Winter sniffles and viruses

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well I've got my first virus of the season....grrrrr

My own fault cos I've been eating junk for two weeks following an extra long and emotional period:reddevil:*all the men run away at this point*:insane:

Ok...so how to stave off colds and bugs?...

Well, avoid dairy, alcohol, cigarettes, sugar and refined foods for a start.

Eat shit loads of vegetables and fruit.

A new study said that echinacea dosn't help your immune system as once thought....however I still drink my yogi-echinacea tea just incase...it tastes great if nothing else!

Don't let yourself get over tired!...I missed this golden rule and now have the sniffles:(

Anyone else got any tips?...

*huggles* Claire:)

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• Garlic is good for keeping the flu away. Russians have known about it for eons. Talking from personal experience, consumming raw garlic makes me cantakerous so I always at the very least sweat it off before adding to mash potatoes or hummus.

• You'll know this anyway Claire and the fruit n veg will help....Zinc is just as, if not, more important than vitamin C with colds n suchlike. Chick peas are a good source of zinc and I think root ginger is as well......

Don't forget the classic hot honey, lemon and ginger drink - yummy! Good for throat issues too.......

I'm fighting something off at the mo too, after not much sleep this week and looking after Dok, I'm using all my will to not be ill!! (and my poetic abiblity :D )plus fruit smoothies with crushed up seeds. Winning so far.....

Ooooh and essential oils - tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender. Infact, most oils are anti-virral so whatever you got! Eucalyptus in the bath works wonders, even if it makes you feel better for half an hour.

Sod the studies, keep taking the echinacea! :broc:

• Quote from Earth Whirler

Eucalyptus in the bath works wonders, even if it makes you feel better for half an hour.

man...I just love adding essential oils to the bath, I've never been one for bubble bath.... sea salts and oils are the ticket... a few candles....Live Dead on the CD player *sigh*... its soooo relaxing:) .

Ylang Ylang's good if you're sharing the bath;)... sorry, I digress:angel:

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• I did not know about zinc being good for fighting off the flu. I think you can get zinc in apples. Coconut oil is meant to increase the human body's general immunity. I did get hold of some once but I was not sure if it was hydronated as it was Winter at the time. BTW cider vinegar is good for a sore throat and general well being.

• Quote from Duckman

I did not know about zinc being good for fighting off the flu. I think you can get zinc in apples. Coconut oil is meant to increase the human body's general immunity. I did get hold of some once but I was not sure if it was hydronated as it was Winter at the time. BTW cider vinegar is good for a sore throat and general well being.

Pumpkin seeds are one of the best sources of zinc ;)

holland and barrett have just started selling organic pumpkin seed butter...Mmm Mmm much nicer than peanut butter :D

"But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have,the world we share

And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere"

dar williams

• Quote from beautiful_day

Pumpkin seeds are one of the best sources of zinc ;)

holland and barrett have just started selling organic pumpkin seed butter...Mmm Mmm much nicer than peanut butter :D

*runs off to buy some*:wub:

• Quote from Claerie

Anyone else got any tips?...

*huggles* Claire:)

I never seem to be ill..

Tips:

Drink lots
    Sleep little
    Eat infrequently [and badly]
    Worry about less things in the world

:wiggle:

• Echinachea is only good if you take it *before* you get sick as a preventative, it can help speed recovery but generally i find it makes me worse in the short term. Napiers (available as mail order at napiers.net) do echinacea and elderflower compound which is the best thing i have ever found for tackling the cold and flu. Has loads of garlic-basically eat as much garlic as you can-its really good for you!
    Also propolis-which is a by-product of honey-is wonderful for boosting the immune system. If you are a vegan who doesn't eat honey then this won't be ok for you, but for those who do, its really good. Available both in liquid-drops in tea, or tablets.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Love and Blessings
    Uma Gyen
    x x x

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Quote from Claerie

man...I just love adding essential oils to the bath, I've never been one for bubble bath.... sea salts and oils are the ticket... a few candles....Live Dead on the CD player *sigh*... its soooo relaxing:) .

Lady after me own heart. :)

Hot Honey, Whisky and Lemon for snuggling into bed with, and a get well card from the kids. :)

• I'm on day 11 of my cold and am starting to get a bit peeved about it to be honest!!

I'm carrying on to my day to day life.. I've not really given into it!!

The cold I can stand.. its the constant throbbing in my head.. round the back of the neck and just above.. and my cheekbones are killing me!

..and an annoying old lady who told me to be careful as pain at the back of your head is a sign of menengitus :flame:

I am taking a zinc and vit c suppliment to try and help it.. but its not really doing much..

I wake up feeling fine.. then by 11am.. the throbbing starts again..

Grrrnesss!!!

• Quote from Ellie-Rose

day 11 of my cold and am starting to get a bit peeved about it to be honest!!

did u say that in a geordie accent??

• astragalus, is brillant. I was poorly for 6 weeks on & off with flu & a virus. Its the only thing that seems to have put an end to my low immune system & energy levels. It also rebuilds stem sells & has been known to cure cancer...its great & doesnt taste too bad. It's from the pea family & a chinese root (huang qi) If anyone here is interested in herbs, crystals & all things cosmic I run a closed group on care2 called natures blend. Pm me & I will send you the link. Happy healing....:wub:

• oooh.. I just googled astragalus!! Sounds like heaven in a herb!!

whats the best way of having it.. bare in mind I can't swallow tablets to save my life:frust:

Is there a liquid or the herb itself.. where would it be bought?

• you can get it in tincture form-which is the liquid extract of the herb, I know you can get it from Napiers.net and probably from other sources, but i would be careful where you get it from. Napiers do a mail order but also have a number of shops dotted around the place. Good luck!
    In Dharma,
    Uma
    x x x

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    [/FONT]

• *cough* *cough* I too am fighting off a cold :duel: Those junk food treats aren't so good after all, who woulda guessed it eh? but they do work for temporary satisfaction! hehe Oooh eat lots of Kiwi! They have more vitamin c in them than all the oranges in the WORLD! Well, they're good for you anyway...

• ive been hardcore the last month or so, people have been gettin ill all around me, but my mighty mighty immune system has been keeping the lurgy at bay.
    i went to a party on saturday night though, and got really cained and havnt had much sleep since.
    now ive woken up today and im dying :wall:
    theres a party out in the woods tonight though, so gonna try and dance it off. unless i get any iller that is.

• I ordered some.. astragalus.. from Napiers.net which happened to be the cheapest!!

Now how would I use it.. I bought the tincture!!

How many drops would go in the water..

I used to have bach rescue remedy.. is it the same as that.. a few drops in a small amount of water??

• I would suggest 5mls in water 3 times daily when you are feeling ill and not too good. Normally you take it in a little cup-measuring cup as it doesn't taste so bad for so long then. was there no directions with it??
    In Dharma,
    Uma
    x x x

[/FONT]

• :insane: he he. Well it should tell you on the label how much to use...he he thats mad as it'll be darling Hugh in the mail order department in my old work that'll be packaging it to you......how strange!

In Dharma
    uma
    x x x

[/FONT]

• I think it tastes icky :harhar:

But it's doing me some good I tells ya.. opens the bowels everyday.. when I only usually go 3 times a week.. terrible!!

Hugh;) told me to have 2.5ml in water 3 times a day.. and I'm obeying him..

I can't get over how big it is.. i was expecting this little bottle!! and it was so much cheaper than other places!!

• Apparently liquid Aloe vera is brilliant for colds and illnesses. A rasta friend of mine used to swear by it, as he had land in the carribean where it grew naturally. He said he used to just cut it down in his yard and use it to heal alsorts of stuff. I have never used it as a)tis expensive and b) I tend to let colds run their course as I think they are a way to detoxify your body of bad stuff that has built up. Of course I use stuff to aid the process like ginger and lemon etc..

Grapefruit seed exstract is a natural antibiotic too :)

• Quote from Lozi

i'm illified too. just been using lemon and honey mostly until i couldn't bear the ugh-ness of it all and drank soluble aspirin paracetamoley stuff

i dunno how you can drink them things, i know there supposed to be good, but they are sooo nasty.