[split thread] The pill and long-term contraception

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Tigerdaddy

Interesting to find this thread..... which sort of involves me....;)

I would say unless she is having sex with anyone else..............It involves you, x x x x

• Quote from Tigerdaddy

Interesting to find this thread..... which sort of involves me....;)

does that mean we can pressure you into getting the chop?:whistle:

• Quote from Atomik

Martin.... I've removed your second comment. Can everyone refrain from further criticism of Fibi please? A mod has dealt with the situation, so let's draw a line under it.

Back to the topic at hand....

Yeah no worries....... :)

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• I was listening to something on womens'hour last week - the week off allows your body/blood system to recover from the negative effects of the pill

• I believe that if you keep taking the pill back-to-back, you will end up with 'breakthrough bleeding' which, to me, implies that the bleeding must be necessary in some way? When I was on the pill, my doctor advised me that whilst it was OK to take packets back-to-back occasionally, I definitely shouldn't do it as a rule. And also that she didn't advise taking it for more than 5 years at a time.

• i did it back to back almost constant for 3 years and never had breakthrough bleeding and never had any for the 5 years on the injection either

• I know a lot of people who *have* had breakthrough bleeding while trying to avoid their period by that method, though, so it obviously happens. And I believe it said that would happen in the leaflet that came with my pill, though it was quite a while ago and my recollection is a bit hazy.

• Okay i have a couple of things i would like to say

I am sorry Annie for how i spoke to you earlier, i get very upset when i see young girls mistreating their bodies (in my opinion) by ignoring medical advice.

I understand better than most how strong the pill can be, it affects me in the worst ways, so i cant use it, not worth the head fuck. Its not a simple little thing to be considered lightly (like them dishing it out to young women aged 14 and the like) its a body changing hormone.

I would never think less of you for not wanting children, i was trying to say (very unsuccessfully) that you do not need to damage your body to achieve a childless life. I think our wombs do alot more for us that just give us babies, and i hate that people think i just see all women as baby makers!! of course i dont.

This morning i was angered by your comments, i just wanted to shake you and tell you to look after yourself

in hindsight, its your life, for you to live and i have no right to judge that.

Please just be careful, i'm sorry again for being a twat

thanks for reading this

and thanks to Paul and Ben

• I had a nightmare time of it whilst on the Pill. I didn't take it back to back, but still had breakthrough bleeding a lot. Also got nearly all the side effects listed, BAD migraines, blurred vision, tingling and numbness in hands and feet and I felt soooooooo incredibly sick. I tried 3 different brands all with the same results. Never again.

• Actually, I'm thinking about this again...I've tried most stuff, but none of it was particularly effective. I'm honestly cheering for menopause at this point, but I'm going to have to look into some sort of option...gah.

• Quote from Oya'sDaughter

Actually, I'm thinking about this again...I've tried most stuff, but none of it was particularly effective. I'm honestly cheering for menopause at this point, but I'm going to have to look into some sort of option...gah.

the menopause means a lot more than just stopping having your periods, its a whole massive change in the body, women who have their wombs removed for whatever reason, have to take hormones to stop the old age process kicking in far to early.

• Quote from ethereal

I had a nightmare time of it whilst on the Pill. I didn't take it back to back, but still had breakthrough bleeding a lot. Also got nearly all the side effects listed, BAD migraines, blurred vision, tingling and numbness in hands and feet and I felt soooooooo incredibly sick. I tried 3 different brands all with the same results. Never again.

Me too... within a month of taking it, I couldn't stop thinking about killing myself. Literally - it just popped into my head all the time, no matter what I tried to distract myself with - and I hadn't been remotely depressed before I started taking it :eek: I'd be walking along in the supermarket and I'd suddenly be thinking "I could cut my wrists... I could just cuit my wrists and bleed to death" and would have an incredibly graphic image of my suicide in my head.

It was the mildest kind available, too (cos I am - well, *was* - very little) and my doctor told me to stop taking it immediately, and that other hormone-based contraceptives were unlikely to be suitable for me. I then tried the coil (plain copper one) and the doctor put it in incorrectly which caused horrible pain and lots of bleeding... and it took me a long time to convince anyone to even look at it, let alone take it out. But when they did, they realised it had been half hanging out the whole time.

So, you know... just because something is widely used does not make it 'safe', and what may be harmless for one person could be utterly unsuitable for another. Which is pretty obvious, really.

I do agree with Fi in that the pill (and other contraceptives) can be presented as 'no big deal' when actually any kind of long-term medicine is really quite a big deal, whether your body copes well with hormone alterations or not.

• From the ages of about 13 to about 16 i tripple backed pill packets to get rid of my period 1. becuase i didn't want to grow up, 2. becuase my periods were really heavy and were disrupting my school life 3. becuase my periods were really painfull and 4. becuase my doctor advised that i do this to help combat my periods. My doctor said it was safe to take 3 packets back to back and then have a break....that was the doctors medical advice...and well..i can still get pregnant it seems.

At 16 i came off the pill on doctors advice becuase the doctor thought the pill contributed to my intense mood swings and suicidal thoughs. Once off the pill i felt alot better and my moods became alot stabler. I am never going back onto the pill again.

Sicne then i have tried the mini pill which made me bleed constantly and the implant which gave me a constant heavy period for over a year, gave me back my horrible mood swings and suicidal thoughts i had associated with the pill and made me put on weight. The doctor refused to take the damn thing out for well over a year, she refused to even put me on the waiting list for 8 months...

I have come to the conclusion i don't think taking hormones is a good idea and i am never using a hormonal controceptive ever ever again!!! Currently i am using condoms and it will probably stay that way....despite everything that happened this year i still think this is the best method for me, i quite like the idea of all that stuff that was talked about in the other thread, but i just don't dare trust myself that much....hormones are a no no and i am not getting the coil!

Also i would just like to add to all those who are of the "if you can't deal with the consequences you shouldn't be having sex" brigade. Its not that simple is it...really...

• I think it a crying shame that they removed the modern pills due to health scares and worries and put everyone back on oldstyle pills back in the early nineties.. microgynon being one of the biggest culprits for making people feel like shite

Alot of the symptoms you girls are describing come from using this style of pill.. the ones women my age started out on (struggling to remember brand names now) were absolutely bloody fine actually! I was prescribed the pill aged 18 for savage periods.. i would bleed heavily and unpredictably.. i could never keep note of my cycle cos it was all over the bloody shop and would have sicknes and diorhea every month with bleeding that lasted for days. The pill sorted ALL of that out :) n then there was a media scare and all of a sudden we all got put onto Microgynon or sommat similar... by "we" i mean all the girls i was at college with who was also on the pill :rolleyes: and most of us had problems.. i had one friend have to come off the pill within the year cos of risk of deep vein thrombosis - she too had been fine for years on the pills they got freaked out about.. i can't remember the reasons why they withdrew these pills we all used to take but IMHO they was far better pills in that they had no side-effects whatsoever!

I took Microgynon from about 1993 to 1998 when i finally came off it under doctors orders.. it was making me really ill... headaches, pains in my legs, savage PMT and depression... i came off microgynon and within the month i was pregnant!

Cos I had Eclampsia with Charlie they wouldn't put me back on the combined pill I had to go on the progesterone only pill or mini pill after charlie was born.. I got on brilliant with this but under advice from doctor (weren't remotely assertive back then) i allowed myself to be talked into the depo provera injection!

Girls.. seriously if you love your bodies DON'T ever go on Depo ;) this injection made me really fuckin ill.. massive weight gain, terrible terrible PMT and other symptoms. I eventually came off the injection in early 2001 and immediatley felt better...

Since then I have had a few lovers and used condoms and listened to my body and abstained aswell...

I think I am correct in saying that current medical advice is to not take the pill consecutively for longer than a couple of years without a break.

There are a few myths surrounding menstruation problems and child birth...

Many GP's still advise that a woman's menstruation problems will even out with pregnancy and child birth... for some women they do but this is not always the case as with me... i was having terrible problems again with my cycle for a few years before fallin pregnant again to the extent i am under the gynae still and after henry is born will have to go for more scans to find out what is goin on...We have a history in our family of heavy menstruation and unfortunatley i seem to have plucked the short straw out of us all for the crappy periods :rolleyes:

I'd never go on the pill/mini pill/injection again because i want to learn how to manage my monthly in a less intrusive fashion.. plus i think i have more than used up my years of Hormone useage in terms of contraception...

Dunno what am gonna do after Henry is born.. probably get pregnant again and finish having my family n then get sterilised...

Anyways thats my tuppence worth on the whole issue of hormonal contraceptive pills/injections :)

• Yeah, I tried Microgynon once and it made me feel awful - not in my right mind at all. I felt like I was 12/13 again on it - horrible mood swings and really sore, spotty, oily skin (nice!)

My sister on the other hand has been on Microgynon for years with no problems at all, so it seems that different people react differently.

I was on Dianette for a couple of years and that was good - helped my skin as well.

• tis weird justme.. i had 5 trouble free years on microgynon and then wham bam all of a sudden it started disagreein with me massively :eek:

I think it'd be good to get a list of brandnames on here that people ave tried n been adverse-symptom free with - might prove a useful guide at some point :)

• Quote from Sarah

tis weird justme.. i had 5 trouble free years on microgynon and then wham bam all of a sudden it started disagreein with me massively :eek:

I think it'd be good to get a list of brandnames on here that people ave tried n been adverse-symptom free with - might prove a useful guide at some point :)

The same thing has just happened to a couple of friends of mine... both been taking it for 5/6 years without any problems and suddenly it was affecting their emotions massively. I've been on it for far too long - about 8 years - and although I haven't had any problems I'm beginning to think I need to switch to something else. I asked my doctor about it and she said there was nothing wrong with taking it for an extended period of time, but many people seem to think otherwise - it can be difficult to know who to listen to sometimes!

• Hormones are strange, complicated things :)

I found this chart thing a while ago which I like, about which brands of Pill are likely to increase or decrease certain hormonally-related things like depression, acne, weight gain. The only drawback is that all the brand names are American - but you can always look them up on google/wiki etc to see if there is a UK version.

Erm, right, how do I do links?

• I took the pill for about 10 years and felt fine at the time and found it really convenient as long as I always remembered to take it.

however I have suffered a few side affects which only became apparent years later...

I've got some nasty veins on the back of my legs which apparently could have been caused through taking it,

and I've got some really annoying dark pigmentation patches on my face (just call me patch!:() which are definately caused by the pill according to Dr and really piss me off!!!!

PS-That's just me though- I have friends who have happily taken it for the same length of time with no problems.

I guess just have a chat with Dr or nice FP nurse and see what works for you ;) xx

• Quote from Sthenno

The same thing has just happened to a couple of friends of mine... both been taking it for 5/6 years without any problems and suddenly it was affecting their emotions massively. I've been on it for far too long - about 8 years - and although I haven't had any problems I'm beginning to think I need to switch to something else. I asked my doctor about it and she said there was nothing wrong with taking it for an extended period of time, but many people seem to think otherwise - it can be difficult to know who to listen to sometimes!

listen to your body ;)

• Post by Zeyla ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Quote from Fibi

listen to your body ;)

Well that's just it. My body seems to agree with it fine and I've had no problems, but I keep hearing from various sources that it can damage your fertility if you take it for a long time. My doctor doesn't seem to agree, and I'm inclined to take her advice, but equally it's not in my nature to trust in authority absolutely. It's difficult to find anything on the net which isn't obvious paranoia or accusations without the science to back them up... I'd be really interested to know if anyone knows of any research into the dangers.

• hmmm, toughie, i would reccomend doing a fertility test... to see if everythings ticking, then if you are worried do one a year or whatever, if you notice a decrease in fertility, swap or stop the pill

• Quote from Fibi

hmmm, toughie, i would reccomend doing a fertility test... to see if everythings ticking, then if you are worried do one a year or whatever, if you notice a decrease in fertility, swap or stop the pill

That's a good suggestion, thanks!

Children isn't something I'd want for a long time, but equally I don't want to do something now which might damage my ability to conceive when I'm older.

• i would like to do a fertility test too, i havent been using contraception with Liam for 2 years, we have sex most of the time but not for around a week and a half, just shy of a week after my period

I am now a wee bit worried i cant concieve, or surely we would have had some accident or other?

Although my friend Kate used that method for a long long time and only became pregnant when they had sex in that week

so i dunno... scary thing to do really...

maybe we should both get one, girl power an all that xx