Sleep Paralysis

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I haven't seen a thread concentrating on this yet, and the childhood fears thread reminded me of it.

Sleep paralysis. When you wake up and can't move. You're stuck between a sleep state and a waking state, which brings about the weirdest things. Any fellow sufferers care to share a tale or two?

• [B]I am positive that I had this once.... Though Im told that generally people don’t have I only once, but suffer with it frequently.....

I remember lying in my bed (at this point I can't remember if I was dreaming or awake..) and something at the foot of my bed was trying to pull the quilts off me.... The only thing I was able to do about this was hold onto my sheets and.... for some reason count to the number twenty over and over.... I remember being absolutely terrified, But I couldn’t call out, or even move... At the time I was only little, and swore blind that I was awake and that something really had.... attacked me..... Now I still remember it vividly and the only logical explanation (apart from an absurdly realistic nightmare) is that it was this sleep paralysis thing..... I don’t know... I probably was a nightmare of some description... but Iv never had anything like it since, nor do I want to!
    [/B]

• I think this happened to me once. I don't know if it was the residual effects of the dream I was having immediately before, but it was one of the bizzarest things I've encountered - and this includes the things that have happened to me whilst my mind has been, er, wonky.

To cut a long and depressing dream short, I was in a car and it crashed. I went flying through the winshield and then everything went black.

And then...

I couldn't move anything, not even my eyes. I was trying to call for help, but my voice wouldn't work either. I didn't feel attached to anything, but it felt different to a dream, as though I was awake, but existed in nothing. I truly thought I had died.

What had actually happened was I awoke when the car crashed, and my eyes were shut while I was under the duvet - I must have been suffering from paralysis as I couldn't move at all. It was quite wierd. Maybe it wasn't paralysis, but I certainly wouldn't like it to happen again.

There were some other things that related to this dream that happened in the months after it, but I'll save that for another time and thread...

• I get that sometime its horrible I hate it.

When you try and try to move but cant move anything, i had it a few times where I couldnt breathe!!!! nasty

I dont think there is anyway to get over it or anything like that - not nice

• hmm i dunno but i have really bad sleep problems (well ther enot that ba dbut i dont get enough) and in the mornings i spend sometimes up to an hour pushin the sleep button on my alarm clock and i get the wierdest feelins/situations in between and i get myself all confused cos i wake up and go to sleep every 5 mins constantly, its kinda wierd. i remember once thinking my alarm clock was too loud and spent ages looking for the volume button (which of course it didnt have)

• I've had similar experiences to those others have described here. Usually being in a dream and being very very scared and trying to call out to whoever I'm living with (i.e. my mum when I was young to Dok now) and not being able to make a noise. I'll be really struggling to move to make them aware that I'm in trouble but to no avail. And yes, it doesn't feel like a dream, but very very real.

I don't know if it's sleep paralyses in a true sense or if it's a similar thing where the brain is sending out wakey-up chemicals but the mind is reacting before the body and so there's perhaps a panic while the mind thinks it's lost control? Whatever it is, it's unpleasant. :mad:

• I think Ive experienced this a few times. It is really scarey one time i was awake or at least felt awake but only my head. The rest of my body i couldnt move. Felt like someone or something was pressing down real heavy on my chest. Scared the shit out of me remember just being able to move my toe and that seemed to be enough to bring me out of it. Took me ages to get back to sleep afterwards though and only by being held did i feel safe enough :eek:

• Quote from Earth Whirler

I've had similar experiences to those others have described here. Usually being in a dream and being very very scared and trying to call out to whoever I'm living with (i.e. my mum when I was young to Dok now) and not being able to make a noise. I'll be really struggling to move to make them aware that I'm in trouble but to no avail. And yes, it doesn't feel like a dream, but very very real.

I don't know if it's sleep paralyses in a true sense or if it's a similar thing where the brain is sending out wakey-up chemicals but the mind is reacting before the body and so there's perhaps a panic while the mind thinks it's lost control? Whatever it is, it's unpleasant. :mad:

Thats exactly what I get!! down to the tee!! It's so horrible and it can affect my day as I think back on it... *shudders*

• Quote from Earth Whirler

I've had similar experiences to those others have described here. Usually being in a dream and being very very scared and trying to call out to whoever I'm living with (i.e. my mum when I was young to Dok now) and not being able to make a noise. I'll be really struggling to move to make them aware that I'm in trouble but to no avail. And yes, it doesn't feel like a dream, but very very real.

That's what I get too. It used to mix with a dream as well - I'd feel a presence in the room. Some people open their eyes and see ghosts - me, I used to think it was alien abduction.

How long have you had it for? It sounds like a long time...I still get it occasionally, but when it happens I know exactly what it is and what to do (don't open eyes, try to move about). The moving about is useless since I've never, ever been able to struggle out of it, but it occupies my mind and stops me thinking about aliens. Nowadays it's just like "Oh bugger, sleep paralysis again :rolleyes:"

• LOL damn those crazy aliens!

I suppose I remember it from maybe 4 or 5 years old - I shared a room with my sister so I'd try to call out to her or when I woke up I'd eventually make my way to my mum's bed! It's not something that happens frequently, just occasionally over the years, I dunno, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

The thing is, while it's happening I believe it is happening so I don't have any awareness like you get with a lucid dream. Once I've woken up and my heart rate's returned to normal I can never figure out why I'm so scared! Then I just snuggle up to Dok :) Never seen a ghost or an alien though.......:wiggle:

• OMG i remember that...iv had it a few times..not for ages though...i just remember trying to scream for help. I had it once at a friends house, i remember trying to scream her name...she told me later she has a spirit that follows her...she reckoned thats what caused it?????????????

ME...well i think is nuts, and it was sleep paralsys........

:patch:

• Interesting...

I Have Sleep Paralysis Almost Every other Night...Or Once a Week...I Have Gotten so Used to It...
    Not Sure Really What it's All About...

I Just Suddenly Wake up...And Yeah...It Feels Like There is a Presence in the Room...
    But I've Learned to Keep my Eyes Firmly Closed...When I Used to Keep Them Open I'd see the Most Bizarres Things...

My First Experiance I Can Rember was When I was a Kid...And Suddenly Toys Started Flying Around Room...I Tried to Shout For mum and Sit up But Couldn't...

But Some can be Really Scary...Like Black Robbed Figures Silently Gliding Arund my Room...O.O
    Alien Spaceships Hovering Outside my Window...Small Dark Figures Creeping Around...

However...When I Keep my Eyes Closed...There is a Loud Banging Sound in my Head...Like a Pulse...Heh Probably is...
    The Noise Gets Louder and Louder...Then it's Gone...And I Can Move Again...

I Wonder What it's All About...

I Keep my Eyes Closed...Not Sure Why but there is a Feeling That if I Open Them...I Will See Something I'm Not Going to Like...

I Had One Today...Having a Restless Sleep After Work...kinda Waking up Yet Falling Asleep...But it Lasted Only Few Minutes...Nothing Happend 'cause I kept Eyes Closed...

It's Become the Norm...Yet I Try to Talk to People About it and They Give me the Shifty Eye Look...

Glad Other People Have Experianced Them...

Does Feel Like Something is Watching me...O.O

• I Think it Brings About a Panic Response Because you Simply Cannot Move and Feel in Such a Vulnerable Position...

Why People Try and Call Out For Help...

But if it Does Happen to you...

Keep Your Eyes Closed and it Should Soon be Over...

• Quote from mudpuddle

I Think it Brings About a Panic Response Because you Simply Cannot Move and Feel in Such a Vulnerable Position...

Yeah, that's what it used to do with me. Same as you say though, you eventually get used to it and develop a routine that minimises the panic.

It's funny you mention the "pulse" in your head, I think I've had similar. Can't remember, I'll try to remember to take note of sounds next time. I remember once, in the mid-afternoon, having sleepparalysis during a nap. I felt my body float upwards slightly, then out of the window and hover outside for a minute or two. Weird.

• I go through spells of it usually when I am really tired and rundown. Exactley like you've said Whirler. Most recent one happened late last summer and I dreamt something was outside and trying to get in (we was in the caravan at the time) and i felt the bed push up underneath me like some huge snake was underneath it, then I was trying to wake Si up and then I saw Si kneel up beside me and get out of bed and look out the window but then he turned round and something dark was in the caravan with us and I was screaming or trying to but all of a sudden I couldn't move and I couldn't scream because words were getting stuck in the back of my throat and then I saw Si fast asleep beside me but still I couldn't move and it was really really dark and then I moved a leg and woke up :eek: and its fucking horrible when it happens!!!!

I am fascinated by this topic - why some people experience this all their lives and others absolutely don't ? I've done a bit of research about it because I've seen some fucking horrible things whilst suffering sleep paralysis that have haunted me all my life, not just seen but been through the emotional ringer on aswell ? am guessing others have experienced that aswell ?

I don't know what causes it but its like parts of our brain that should be asleep suddenly are wide awake, more than wide awake are capable of hallucinating - and its the darkness that comes out in these hallucinations - I hesitate to call them dreams because they definatley aren't dreams like most people would say a dream was. The experience is so terrifyingly real so its more like a hallucination. Some people reckon that its at that point of paralysis where the barriers are most transclucent between the plane of conciousness and the astral plane of subconciousness. It is psychologically proven that the subconcious is where our base emotions are stored and processed and so it is no wonder that a slip into subconciouss conciousness could be a pretty fucking scary thing... however... its possible apparantley to overcome the scariness and actually do things within that state... the idea is to work on becoming aware of paralysis without shitting oneself until one escapes paralysis.. apparantley if this can be accomplished then you can play inside sleep paralysis which is a highly aware conciousness in a brain state where the subconcious is active - you can travel the astral plane.. apparantley...I dunno I have tried to remember a few times NOT to be scared and just try and run with it but I am in this habit of panic with it all ?

• Quote from Ma-Crap

...I dunno I have tried to remember a few times NOT to be scared and just try and run with it but I am in this habit of panic with it all ?

I think that because the feeling is slightly different to just dreaming, it actually feels completely real and so there's nothing that appears a bit odd (as there would be clues in a dream) to make you aware that you're not properly awake. If ya know wot I mean, like :insane:

• Haha woah yeah I got this loads when I was about 16 - 18 and it used to scare the fuck out of me! However once I had been through it a fair number of times I got used to it and realised when its going on that all you have to do is wait a few mins and youll wake up!

Still get it every now and then, its wierd huh!

Something to do with you waking up before your body has time to release a certain on/off chemical which makes you in charge of your muscles again... and you sorta get suspended in this half world of not quite dreaming and not being able to move!

"But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have,the world we share

And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere"

dar williams

• Well crap. I just remembered I had sleep paralysis a few nights ago. Funny how you remember your dreams like that isn't it?

Anyway, something made this time stand out from the other recent times.

I broke my own "golden rule" and opened my eyes :eek:

There was something white flapping around right above me. It was like a piece of paper caught in a breeze. I didn't keep me peepers open for long enough to see anything else, but it gave me a thought; what if you could control the things you see, like in a lucid dream?