Education...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I think what it all comes down to, Fibi, is a trial and error period - finding out what your child needs and wants. I started my daughter off in home schooling because her father was very poorly and the little school where I had been teaching closed. Unfortunately, while that was the right decision for her, because we could not keep it up, it ended up being a problem. She was so far ahead of her peers that when she went to elementary school, the teacher didn't know what to do with her. That is why Montessori worked so well as I said earlier.

Every child is so different - you will find that with your own children when you are blessed with them. Everyone learns in a different way and, as Sarah said, the best thing you can do, pre-children, is to become familiar with the various schools you would have available when the time comes.

But it would be impossible to plan now for what your child-to-be may or will want in terms of education. And you will be amazed how much they will already know before they step foot in a school. Know what's available and then, when the time comes, try to match your child's skills and needs with what you can offer both inside and outside your home.

Parenting is an awesome responsibility - the decisions we make for our children are long-lasting if not permanent. When the time comes, you will have to figure it out, as we all have. Sometimes mistakes are made, sometimes we don't have all the information available. But to get as much information as you can is the key. Even then, it will still be a matter of whether or not "the shoe fits."

• :rolleyes: that this is a friendly site ? its my first day here and i really do not see the need for anyone to upset folk ...... if we are not able to offer support and recognise when someone is feeling under pressure or stressed ......then non of us are really a part of the Solution ..and therefore perhaps a part of the problem ?

Mike

i'm sorry that my obviously far out mental health problems make me unfit to be a mother, thanks SO MUCH for point out what has terrified me all along

Get a grip woman-I was trying to help.

Maybe come back when you've had some time out,re read this thread and try to see the posts as theyre intended,not through the filter of your issues.

I know that sounds patronising but you can be incredibly self aware at times so I dont feel its a waste of time being honest with you about how youre coming across here.Not nice to hear but seriously I wouldnt bother if I didnt think you were worth it.You can get past your issues and you'll be happier in the world for it.I've been there where the worlds against you and no one understands and friends pulled me up on it too,so I'm just passing on the favour.:bighug:

• Mike-it is a friendly site but theres more than one type of support and sometimes 'friends' have to point out when someone is out of order or not thinking clearly.Nobodys deliberatley upset anyone on this thread and it is a supportive place to be so welcome and enjoy:)

• Quote from medusa

Get a grip woman-I was trying to help.

Maybe come back when you've had some time out,re read this thread and try to see the posts as theyre intended,not through the filter of your issues.

I know that sounds patronising but you can be incredibly self aware at times so I dont feel its a waste of time being honest with you about how youre coming across here.Not nice to hear but seriously I wouldnt bother if I didnt think you were worth it.You can get past your issues and you'll be happier in the world for it.I've been there where the worlds against you and no one understands and friends pulled me up on it too,so I'm just passing on the favour.:bighug:

i have spent all afternoon crying because of your horrid and rude comments. How dare you have the audacity to suggest you are my friend

if you were my friend you would know that i have struggled SUCESSFULLY with my mental health problems and have intergrated myself into a society which was untouchable to me for most of my life

i have been told many times to sew my cunt up because people like me shouldnt breed, i have been told this by bullys both in and out of my own family

You know Nothing about me so stop pretending that you do

keep your fucking hug you self righteous bitch.

• Ok Fibi,I apologise unreservedly for the fact that my comments upset and hurt you.They werent intended to and if you feel they were inappropriate because I only know you through this site then fair enough.I'll step right back.

• Quote from medusa

Ok Fibi,I apologise unreservedly for the fact that my comments upset and hurt you.They werent intended to and if you feel they were inappropriate because I only know you through this site then fair enough.I'll step right back.

Wow what an understanding woman you are! :thumbup:

• Well. Thats that then. Thats the nastiest comment I have ever seen on this site directed at someone who in every post obviously meant no ill will, in my opinion.
    Hugs to you Medusa for trying.
    Fibi. Nothing to say to you.

• Quote from Fibi

so you honestly think the current curriculum, teaching methods and situation is suitable to all children? coz i really dont sarah

no i blatantly don't because i have spent quite some time discussing area's of teh curriculum that i think are shit... i was commenting on your comment about NO hands on experience.. what i am saying is that within the curriculum there is hands on experience....

i really hoped this conversation would be more about different teaching methods and options avaliable, it seems to just be a 'burn the witch she doesnt want to send her kids to school' occassion for a lot of people which is sad

wtf?! ok i'm out of this discussion now.. everything I say is misunderstood and taken too fuckin personally and am far too happy and chilled right now to be bothered.... toodles :waves:

• Quote from yoursinuk

:panic: :confused: what have I missed?

Fibi should have written "I'm interested in parents opinions... but only if they are the same as mine..."

:angel:

• I don't understand... people were offering opinions from all angles....as is the nature of discussions....but even to calm rational threads Fibi was getting offended and shouting back?

I don't know what problems you have Fibi but its obviously something you are struggling with, nobody said you'd be a bad parent.. and nobody even mentioned mental health???? just some people said state schools worked and some said homeschooling worked. you replied politely to the latter but rudely and shouty to anyone who said state schools worked...how is that a fair discussion? it's like you wanted to rile up people to attack you...for whatever reason.

This reminds me of the drugs and spirituality thread...another person ebing abusive to other members because of their own personal issues.

:(

• ok back to the talk of education, my nephew is 14yrs old and has just taken his gcse options, hes in a normal state school and has some acedemic learning difficulties, i spoke to my sister last night to clarify the details and i can tell you that the next 2 or 3 yrs he will be takeing
    gcse english combind lang and lit
    gcse maths
    gcse intergrated science
    nvq enginering
    nvq mechanics
    so contray to some peoples beliefs i think the ciriculam is changeing and students are being taught as induviduals and there induvidual needs are being catered for.

fibi i think you need to get your head out of your arse mate becuase i have read every post on this thread and the only person who seemed to have a narrow mind and be throwing insults at people is you.

• i agree with you there my son who has just statred year 10
    we spend alot of time and care choosing his options and with help of this forum i think we choose correctly for my sons ability he is both academic and pratical but his biggest down fall he has great idea's but struggles with putting on paper.
    did u know they loose marks for presentaion?
    2 yrs running my son has been marked down because of his presentaion

the school my 6 yr old goes to they were the only school in the county who were on the foundation faze pilot scheme, after 5 years of being piloted in wales it has now been made compulsery for all kids 7 and under through out the whole of wales.
    it works well whatevr the childs ability learning through play its more hands on
    they have 20 mins an hour intense learning bursts then they have 10/15 mins break, and learn though play.
    there is an lsa/teacher for every 8 child in a class they are seperated into groups for most of the day.
    my son has beneifted from this the most, before he went to this school he couldnt read and didnt learn anything he'd been in school since he was 2

he's been at this school a year and because of the aproach to learning he's taking steps to learn at his own pace he can read some cvc words its took a year but he's getting there his prevoiuse school wanted rid of him.

my non sn daughter also went though the foundation faze and excelled in everyhting we discoverd she had a theartical side and now wants to be a preformer

i cant offer my kids anyhting academic at home as i never went to school but, i think mine have the balance as they have thier life skills at home.
    i think thats important.

and for me i think kids should go to school to grow and develope social skills
    if not they will become to dependant on their parents. no space or time out from their parents results in family melt downs.

i hope my coments dont offend anyone this is just my personal thoughts and is no-way aimed at anyone's coments on this thread
    :hippy:

• Quote from lunar munar

the school my 6 yr old goes to they were the only school in the county who were on the foundation faze pilot scheme, after 5 years of being piloted in wales it has now been made compulsery for all kids 7 and under through out the whole of wales.
    it works well whatevr the childs ability learning through play its more hands on
    they have 20 mins an hour intense learning bursts then they have 10/15 mins break, and learn though play.
    there is an lsa/teacher for every 8 child in a class they are seperated into groups for most of the day.
    my son has beneifted from this the most, before he went to this school he couldnt read and didnt learn anything he'd been in school since he was 2

Great info there lunar... I have just googled for some further info on the scheme.. and it sounds great... and not just for the kids but for teachers also... Do you know if they plan on giving teachers the same kind of freedom in secondary schools or do teachers still have to follow the curriculum to the latter.. I think if teachers were given more freedom to help children learn instead of just teaching them facts and figures then they would become better teachers... and be able to educate kids properly... I mean wtf does the government know about proper ways of educating kids... I also saw that this scheme could be even better if more money was spent on it...

Quote from lunar mular

and for me i think kids should go to school to grow and develope social skills
    if not they will become to dependant on their parents. no space or time out from their parents results in family melt downs.

:clap: It is such an important part of development kids need some time and space so that they can become their own person!!

• Have just stumbled noticed this thread and have a lot to contribute to it but little time, so I will be brief and return to it tomorrow.

First of all, congrats to Tekno, Lunar Munar and Medusa for spot on contributions:clap:

The very word "education" is derived from the latin "educo" or "educere" which, interestingly enough, mean "to draw out....to bring forth what is latent". Compare this to the usual modern-day western concept and implementation of education, which very much revolves around "putting in" as opposed to "drawing out" and we have, to my mind, penetrated the heart of the problems of modern schooling.

Some alternative schools, Steiner and Monterssori in particular, have recognised this and have achieved some fantastic educational results through their methods. I am well aware that these schools are not perfect and have particular knowledge of the Steiner business, having done their teacher-training. Some people have mega issues ith the Steiner stuff, including myself. It is worth remembering however that these schools are all independent institutions, one cannot be tarred with the same brush as another, unless your gripe is with the fundamental ethos that underpins them. Some are stuck in the past, some too religious, some teachers are what I would term "Steiner sheep" (Steiner would turn in his grave, lol). Yet some schools I have visited are fantastic examples of education at its very best...

Lunar....my little girl's school in Ceredigion was on the same pilot....tremendous stuff....infact her school is as near to an alternative school as a state school is ever likely to be, we're blessed there..

Have seen home ed work brilliantly and terribly, same for state education....lots more to add....will do so tomorrow if thread still an issue

The very word "education" is derived from the latin "educo" or "educere" which, interestingly enough, mean "to draw out....to bring forth what is latent".

I didnt know that,interesting.

It makes sense though coz kids want to learn,theyre eager little sponges for the most part,it just takes different things to engage different kids and thats the main difficulty with educating on mass.Some of the kids arent going to get the stimulus they need to 'bring forth' their latent desire for knowledge.

And its also why I think home ed and alt schools wont suit everyone coz for some kids its the stimulus of state school that does it for them.I did well at school until I was kicked out (academically well I mean,was behaviour that apparently caused problems:whistle:)partly because it gave me an order and framework I didnt have at home.The fact that page 10 follows page nine in a workbook is strangely comforting to a child with a chaotic and nonsensical 'home' life.

Partydread,I'm interested to hear your experiences of alternative schools that work coz thats different to my experience,and that of most people I've talked to who went to these sort of places.Theres actually support groups for kids (and parents) who've been damaged by Steiner schools:eek:

My son wasnt damaged by his alt school but I did feel I was having to parent harder to balance his experiences there.Like I mentioned earlier,it sounds great on paper-and has fooled many visitors and even some parents into believing all was hunky dory and working-but living it for 5yrs gave me a somewhat different perspective.

Although its amazing how much of that 'does it work in practise' is based on gcse results,even among the alt community.Tis Bizzare.

We looked at schools all over the country (on paper) for my son,including progressive state schools but its hard to tell what the realitys gonna be like until youve been there a while,and switching schools all the time isnt an ideal option for kids.

Its my main beef with alt schools that so much of what theyre about in reality is image and projecting the right face to the world,which invariably means sweeping stuff under the carpet and fierce denial-even when faced with evidence-of any problems the school has.State schools tend to be more honest in that way now I think.

But,on paper some alt schools can have it spot on and it does amaze me that that doesnt seem to translate in reality so I'm well up for hearing about alt schools that do do what they claim.