British teens sexually assaulted in NZ

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've removed the text of the article from your post. Please provide links to external articles rather than posting the whole thing (a snippet as a sample is perfectly acceptable). Quite apart from general forum etiquette, copyright law forbids articles being reproduced in full. Thanks. :)

• Quote from Atomik

I've removed the text of the article from your post. Please provide links to external articles rather than posting the whole thing (a snippet as a sample is perfectly acceptable). Quite apart from general forum etiquette, copyright law forbids articles being reproduced in full. Thanks. :)

Ok sorry about that Atomic, and thanks I have learnt something new Cheers.

• Erm, I'm not sure why you want to know peoples opinions on rape...I can't see anything in that article to give an opinion on other then rape...is that what you wanted my opinion on...? Is that something we can all give opinions on? I'm kinda confused...

whats your opinion? Maybe that will clarify what this thread is meant to be about.

• Quote from Kaiya

Erm, I'm not sure why you want to know peoples opinions on rape...I can't see anything in that article to give an opinion on other then rape...is that what you wanted my opinion on...? Is that something we can all give opinions on? I'm kinda confused...

whats your opinion? Maybe that will clarify what this thread is meant to be about.

Sorry for the confusion i was up early and probably not thinking right.
    What I would like to know is what people think as to what punishment would fit such heinous a crime as of this type.

• Ah right :)

Life in prison...

I don't agree with capital punishment, but I do think rape is serious enough to warrent a life sentence (and i mean a life sentence not a life = 20 years sentence).

• Quote from Kaiya

Ah right :)

Life in prison...

I don't agree with capital punishment, but I do think rape is serious enough to warrent a life sentence (and i mean a life sentence not a life = 20 years sentence).

I was thinking along the lines of castration and life meaning life or would that be to harsh a punishment for a crime such as this.

• Quote from Greenthing

I was thinking along the lines of castration and life meaning life or would that be to harsh a punishment for a crime such as this.

Oh god, here we go again.....

Aside from anything else, the inability of the British criminal justice system to deliver safe convictions would make this idea ludicrous. They couldn't re-attach your balls on appeal.

• i dunno...i can so totally see why life should be life and the castration thing also rings in my ears as a good idea, but i once posted these ideas on a thread aboput peadophiles and was actually swayed into thinking these people need help.maybe we should look at why they do it, what motivates them and work from there.
    rape is a terrible thing to have to live through, but at the same time i think your lucky if you come away from it alive. surley rape alone is better than rape + murder? so how could the sentanceing be the same for both crimes?

surley though if we are able to rehabilitate these ppl then thats gotta be better than slamming them into the allready over crowded prison system for the rest of there lifes?

• Quote from Atomik

Oh god, here we go again.....

Aside from anything else, the inability of the British criminal justice system to deliver safe convictions would make this idea ludicrous. They couldn't re-attach your balls on appeal.

I did say for a crime such as this because the offender in this instance freely admitted his guilt at a police station, and I there would be fresh DNA evidence to support his claim to the crime and therefore no doubt that he did what he admitted to.

• Quote from Greenthing

I did say for a crime such as this because the offender in this instance freely admitted his guilt at a police station, and I there would be fresh DNA evidence to support his claim to the crime and therefore no doubt that he did what he admitted to.

... and both confessions and DNA evidence have turned out to be false in the past. :rolleyes:

• Quote from aerisje

surley though if we are able to rehabilitate these ppl then thats gotta be better than slamming them into the allready over crowded prison system for the rest of there lifes?

Many of them have had help and upon their release have went on to commit similar offences agian and that sucks.

• Quote from Atomik

... and both confessions and DNA evidence have turned out to be false in the past. :rolleyes:

You are probably right about that part, but in this case there would be even more evidence to suppport a conviction for instance the two young women and fingerprints in the van.

• man if you were mental enough to confess to rape under threat of your dick being chopped off, when you hadnt done it, you would have some fucking issues

i think if someone repeatedly offends, they should have the elastic band treatment definatly

but due to what Stu has raised, i dont think that would work for 1 time offenders

• Quote from Fibi

man if you were mental enough to confess to rape under threat of your dick being chopped off, when you hadnt done it, you would have some fucking issues

Yeah, and there are people out there who do have issues. People have confessed to crimes they didn't commit due to mental health problems in the past. It's happened, and I don't doubt it'll happen again. And that's before we even get onto police coercion. ;)

Quote from Greenthing

You are probably right about that part, but in this case there would be even more evidence to suppport a conviction for instance the two young women and fingerprints in the van.

But where do you draw the line? How do you legally, in black and white, define how much evidence constitutes sufficient evidence to be certain of a conviction, beyond any doubt?

And then aside from that, there's the issue of meeting barbarity with barbarity. You don't eradicate violence from society by punishing it with more violence. Haven't we hammered this very topic to death within the last month or so?

• Quote from Atomik

And the same could be said of all criminals. Are you suggesting we lock all offenders up for life?

No I am not suggesting that at all, only exceptional cases when guilt is proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

• I mean that i made a point, you chose to answer half of it and ignore the rest. seemed a bit odd, as the second part of the post was where i was actually putting accross my point of view on the subject.

• Quote from Greenthing

No I am not suggesting that at all, only exceptional cases when guilt is proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Erm... criminal law already (allegedly) requires convictions to be "beyond reasonable doubt". Again, if you wish to define a level of evidence that would be considered sufficiently solid to justify forced mutilation of another human being, how do you propose we define that? "Reasonable doubt" is extremely vague, and has already led to many false convictions.

• Quote from Fibi

I mean that i made a point, you chose to answer half of it and ignore the rest. seemed a bit odd, as the second part of the post was where i was actually putting accross my point of view on the subject.

I wasn't ignoring it. It was the first part of your post that interested me and inspired me to comment further on a point you raised. :)

• Quote from Atomik

I wasn't ignoring it. It was the first part of your post that interested me and inspired me to comment further on a point you raised. :)

so my opinion isnt inspiring then? *hand to forehead, drama queen sylee* Well then i might as well go and eat worms.

• have just had a thought actually, surely we are all agreed the people who rape other people have serious issues or they wouldnt do it.

so surely if you cut the dick off someone who was using it to hurt people, they would just find other ways to hurt people?

• Quote from Fibi

so my opinion isnt inspiring then? *hand to forehead, drama queen sylee* Well then i might as well go and eat worms.

Jesus fucking christ... you raised an interesting point in the first part of your post that got me thinking. I put my thoughts down in words. The rest of your post I agreed with and I didn't have anything to add to. What on god's green earth is the problem with that?!?

• Quote from Atomik

[quote]
    But where do you draw the line? How do you legally, in black and white, define how much evidence constitutes sufficient evidence to be certain of a conviction, beyond any doubt?

When all evidence has been submitted and there is no doubt whatsoever that the guilty party or parties are guilty beyond any doubt.
    I know people have been hung for crimes they have not commited, as you say it is a fine line no doubt about it.

• I would just like to point out that I was thinking along the lines of castration, not that I believe that it could be an answer to the problem.

• I don't agree with castrateing rapists, or pedophilles unless they want that to happen...(i was watching something once with a convincted pedophille who wanted to be chemically castrated to stop him reoffending and thats fiar play)...

People do horrible things and often they have reasons for doing this, even if those reasons are incredibly fucked up. I do think convincted rapists should get life imprisonment, but should be offered help in figureing out why the fuck they did what they did and so hopefully they can be reformed...

Rapists do horrible horrible things, i don't want to be part of something that then retaliates to these horrible things with horrible things. Why is the state any better if we are just as babaric to those that commit barbaric crimes?
    The best thing to do with offenders of pretty much any crime is to sort them out so they do not reoffend and hurt anyone else...the punishment comes with the imprisonment...

• Quote from Kaiya

The best thing to do with offenders of pretty much any crime is to sort them out so they do not reoffend and hurt anyone else...the punishment comes with the imprisonment...

Yes but they do offend agian granted not all of them do, I wonder what percentage do re offend it would be interesting to know the statistics.

• Quote from Greenthing

Yes but they do offend agian granted not all of them do, I wonder what percentage do re offend it would be interesting to know the statistics.

But that isn't a reason to act barbarically...

does castration even stop sexual assault/rape...? I don't know much about it, other then i image castration would lower sex drive...but rape isn't always about sex and is often about power...so does castration actually make that much difference to reoffending?