No peaches or pears :(

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• On our trees this year, one single pear grew and the insects have got to it before us.

I'm actually quite sad that nothing bloomed this year :( We've been left with rhubarb so lots of crumble I guess :(

Walnuts and almonds are okay though, bit of a wait on them.

Did anyone else have the same problem this year? We usually have 100's of pears :(

• we have a cherry tree that always flowers but this year actually produced a single cherry that my dad ate :( he could have at least cut it up into little pieces and shared it! it was one of those fancy ones i cant remember the name

• Aww thats lovely that you have cherries grow! Haha good old dads!

I wonder if it the odd weather we've had? :(

• we had absolute stacks of rasberries ive had about three loads of smoothies and three jars of jam shame that the only thing we can really grow is pretty much wild

• I've got loads of apples on the tree in my garden, but that only happens every other year. It's important to remove excess fruit from the tree to ensure satisfactory development of the apples that remain on the tree. Failure to remove excess fruit decreases formation of flower buds for the following year and causes trees to produce a crop only every other year. I believe it's the same for other fruit as well. I can't do this with my tree as it's far to big to contemplate and to be honest I have more than enough cooking apples off it even in a bad year.

• All my apple trees have apples this year including crab apples which I never do anything with :o both my pear trees have fruit as for the cherry trees I sit and watch them go from green to red and the minute they do the birds eat them , also have greengages and so many grapes I could open a distillery :D

• I'm goinmg to plant an apple tree as they seem to end up successful, I'm so jelous that everyone elses fruit has grown! Lol. distillery sounds like a good idea.... :)

xx

• we have a fruiting cooking apple tree but im not really sure what to do with them, i think if there was to be something done rents would have by now. flibber how big is your garden?!?

• Quote from Dan

we have a fruiting cooking apple tree but im not really sure what to do with them, i think if there was to be something done rents would have by now. flibber how big is your garden?!?

About 200 foot long I think here it is in the winter brrrrrrrr.........

• Quote from Dan

bloody hell thats gorgeous got any pics of it in summer?

Just took this not a great shot and I chopped the sea view out of it

• Wow that is the most amazing view!!

I just want to run through those fields and roll in the grass (or snow)!

Pekkle, maybe you'll get lucky next year get a giant peach. Isn't that how it works? No peaches and then the giant one?

• Quote from Dan

we have a fruiting cooking apple tree but im not really sure what to do with them, i think if there was to be something done rents would have by now. flibber how big is your garden?!?

I think you make cider out of 50% cooking and 50% eating apples - unless I'm mistaken....

Or you can make jams, pies, crumbles, apple sauce......etc.

We never manage to use all our (cooking and eating) apples any year. We just tend to leave some for the birds and insects (the ones on the top of the tree we can't reach) and the rest go in the garden waste recycling bin.

:hug:

"One cannot see well except with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes" :heart:

• Quote from Chelly

We never manage to use all our (cooking and eating) apples any year. We just tend to leave some for the birds and insects (the ones on the top of the tree we can't reach) and the rest go in the garden waste recycling bin.

Could you leave them in a bucket outside your house with a sign reading "Free apples"? Theres a few people around here that do that, spreads a little joy too :)

xx