Arm transplants

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I dont think its foul or gross.Its just new.People had the same reaction to early organ transplants-and there have been other hand transplants that were successful.I hope it works out for him.

• Quote from medusa

I dont think its foul or gross.Its just new.People had the same reaction to early organ transplants-and there have been other hand transplants that were successful.I hope it works out for him.

Yeah, I hope it works out for him too. I was meaning for me personally, I wouldn't want any part of any person's body transplanted onto or in me, with the possible exception of a close relative. It just seems against the laws of nature to me.

• Quote from Digitalpiracy

I carry a donor card, and have since I was 12. If they bring out a new version with an extra tick-box for 'arms, legs, etc' I'd get it and tick it

I would, too... my arms ain't gonna be doing me a lot of good when I'm dead, after all.

My husband has had one corneal transplant and will be having another one soonish. And so he's gonna be able to see his kids grow up :)

• That's amazing. For all the bad things humans have done, we've done some other bloody amazing things too :eek:

• Quote from yoursinuk

hmm.. wonder... if the donor was left handed.....:)

Handedness is controlled by the brain, not the arms or hands themselves, so even if the donor was left handed and the recipient was right handed (or vice versa), the recipient would still be right handed after the operation.

I should imagine that if you've lost both arms in some kind of accident, life is particularly tough - you'd have to learn to do so many things with your feet or your teeth or something, and having a transplant would be wonderful.

It must mean though, if you end up having someone else's hands, you'd also end up with thier fingerprints.

• Quote from Atomik

And if they can make this work, just think what your penis will be worth on the black market. :eek:

I'm very worried that 70% of the times we talk, the conversation shifts towards my penis. :eek:

It's getting no use with me at the moment though, so I may as well cash in now. :D

• Quote from ethereal

It just seems against the laws of nature to me.

But you could say that about a lot of the things we humans do. Flying abroad, driving cars, wearing clothes - they're not exactly 'natural' either.

• Quote from Ms. Vee

But you could say that about a lot of the things we humans do. Flying abroad, driving cars, wearing clothes - they're not exactly 'natural' either.

Well it's all the anti-rejection drugs people who have transplants have to take, the body is rejecting foreign tissue. If it was ok with nature then drugs wouldn't be necessary.

It's up to the individual to decide if they want it or not, I'd say "no thanks!"

• If I was in his situation I'd say, "yes please" - no doubt about it. The whole "natural" thing is complete hogwash to me, for example: when people say smoking cannabis is fine and taking MDMA is not - purely on the basis of of what is "natural" and what isn't.

As a race we have moved on from what's "natural", otherwise we'd all be picking bones in caves right about now. I love the idea of bionic limbs and medical breakthroughs such as these, they offer so much.

• Quote from ethereal

Well it's all the anti-rejection drugs people who have transplants have to take, the body is rejecting foreign tissue. If it was ok with nature then drugs wouldn't be necessary.

It's up to the individual to decide if they want it or not, I'd say "no thanks!"

Maybe if you were suddenly left without the use of your arms and hands your opinion may be different.

• Quote from freecloud

Maybe if you were suddenly left without the use of your arms and hands your opinion may be different.

Yes thats right you dont know untill you are in that position.:thumbup:

• Quote from freecloud

NO IT WOULDN'T. I understand that other people would want to have transplants and I respect that. If I was in that situation, I'd have prosthetic or mechanical limbs. Failing that I'd rather die.

Now respect my opinion.

• Quote from ethereal

NO IT WOULDN'T. I understand that other people would want to have transplants and I respect that. If I was in that situation, I'd have prosthetic or mechanical limbs. Failing that I'd rather die.

Now respect my opinion.

I do respect ALL peoples opinions but the idea was to ''DISCUSS'' if you would rather not dicuss then why did you post in the first place!

• Quote from freecloud

I do respect ALL peoples opinions but the idea was to ''DISCUSS'' if you would rather not dicuss then why did you post in the first place!

I am happy to discuss, I merely stated my opinion.

• My dad's going in to have a knee replacement operation before the end of the year... i see no difference in him having that and someone else having a whole new limb - its just a sliding scale really... and knowing how much prosthetic limbs can hurt some people I think its amazing that they can now do successful limb transplants - i'd happily tick a new box on the donor card too :)

• Quote from AnnieAnne

It must mean though, if you end up having someone else's hands, you'd also end up with thier fingerprints.

Oh that could cause problems if your donner was a baddie in thier time.

I wonder if they let the police know?

• Quote from moyne

Oh that could cause problems if your donner was a baddie in thier time.

I wonder if they let the police know?

Yeah that's what I was thinking - it could mean that fingerprints couldn't be relied on as evidence to the same extent.