Religious symbols in schools

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t…/faith/article4421873.ece

I still dislike the idea that a belief deserves special treatment as soon as it is labelled "religious". If "religious" symbols are allowed, what makes them more significant that symbols denoting all kinds of other beliefs that people hold important? Peace symbols, for example?

• Most schools have a policy that NO jewellery is allowed... I found this out after my six year old left school in tears after a classroom assistant cut of a necklace that she had been wearing for a couple of years... She was really attached to that necklace because she got it while she was in Turkey... I mentioned to the teacher that I should have been asked first and that it could have been worn for religious reasons... teh teacher went white after I said that...

I find it hypocritical of schools to allow some children to wear necklaces with a crucifix(wtf!!) or St Christopher on it but not a necklace that was handmade with a few pretty beads on it... :rolleyes:

• Quote from tekno

I find it hypocritical of schools to allow some children to wear necklaces with a crucifix(wtf!!) or St Christopher on it but not a necklace that was handmade with a few pretty beads on it... :rolleyes:

Precisely. I don't see why religious symbols should get special treatment - especially when most children won't understand the significance of what they're wearing, or be old enough to make an informed choice regarding their beliefs.

• I think if there is a rule about jeweraly it should be a blanket rule... No jewellery means no jewellery. It catches on things, it can be a cause of dispute, kids get mean about the make etc etc.

That way its not a relgious thing but a safety rule.

• It's a tough one, isn't it. If you exclude religious symbols it can be seen as discrimination, if you allow them then it makes religion grounds for positive discrimination, which is just as bad. And then of course, what do you do when those religious symbols cause prejudice and discrimination to rear it's head in schools. I don't think there's an easy answer, but if they are going to allow religious symbols in schools then they need to change the rule on jewellery etc ... too. Otherwise it is discriminative, as it allows religious identity to be given more respect than cultural identity and personal identity and that's not acceptable.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• It's just PC gone mad really - jewellery in schools is stupid because it gets damaged or hurts you during sport -
    And no religious belief should have to depend on wearing a certain piece of jewellery... I choose to wear a cross to symbolise my faith but I wouldn't stop being a christian if i couldn't wear it.

• Quote from Ses

And no religious belief should have to depend on wearing a certain piece of jewellery... I choose to wear a cross to symbolise my faith but I wouldn't stop being a christian if i couldn't wear it.

You continue to impress me with your reasonable brand of christianity. :)

• Quote from Atomik

You continue to impress me with your reasonable brand of christianity. :)

Hehe, why thank you :) I just think it's ridiculous the way people use their faith as an excuse to have their own way all the time... I choose to live in this country so I obey the laws / rules of the workplace/school. If I didn't like them I'd go live somewhere else, like the bible belt in america!!

• just seen this on the news oh the irony
    did anyone else see the ring she was wearing ??

"One day you will ask me which is more important? my life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life." -

• I can only see 3 reasons why jewellery is not allowed in schools.

1. safety. - ( and yes I have seen a girl being dragged around the playground by a necklace in the heat of an arguement)

2. Value. - Schools have got enough to do without playing Sherloch Holmes for a parent who is gutted their child has had something stolen.

3. school uniform - is a designed "leveller" there is not point in having it if there is a jewellery wearing competition going on. It is just divisive.

I can therefore see no reason why any item should be exempt.

• There was a thing in the news along these lines a while ago, wasn't there, about a girl wearing a "chasity ring" and how she was arguing that it was her religious right to wear it... even though to the best of my knowledge no formal religion exists which requires the wearing of a "chastity ring".

Have I made this up, or are male Sikhs supposed to wear a knife on their body somewhere?

• Quote from princesstigermouse

Have I made this up, or are male Sikhs supposed to wear a knife on their body somewhere?

Yeah, I think so, as an indication of their willingness to defend Sikhism. But I think in the UK at least, most have a sort of small model of a knife, rather than something 'useable' or that has a sharp blade..

• I'm still boggling that kids can't wear jewllery in school at all... Seems like all the reasons listed (like safety) is just more of 'lets pad our kids in pillows and have them experience nothing till they're older when they'll whine about everything 'cause they weren't allowed to climb and fall from a tree. Safer to dress them all the same, remove all dangers and turn them into nice little, right brain stiffled, robots.

Sports can be dangerous but we always took our stuff off for that. Theift may happen on occasion but again...I think it's sheltering to not let a kid learn the reality of life because it breaks our heart to see them cry.

Man...how did I ever survive my youth? In grade five everyone had jelly bracelets up to their elbows and safety pins all over our shoes and pants. :P

• My mum always used to tell me a story of a girl whose ear got torn open when she caught her earring on a fence... which is horrible, but every other girl in her school was also wearing earrings every day, without any disaster occuring.

And I had to have stitches up my arm because someone ran into me in a playground when I was standing completely still, so...