Students having pets

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• What do all of you folk think about students having pets?

The reason I ask is because I'd love a pet, have enough money and space for them (nothing really big because the landlord is against having large animals). However I'd never have enough money to take an animal to the vets if it ever got ill or something happened.

At the moment I'm sitting on the fence, I don't think it's a good idea or a bad one. I'd love a pet but but but I'm too scared of that "something" happening and not being able to do anything to help.

Let me know what you think about my case and students (at uni with their own places) at general having animals.

Thankies :)

• If you can't afford vet fees or pet insurance or you aren't eligable for help from the PDSA, you shouldn't have a pet, end of.
    Also you need to be able to offer the animal enough time/space/attention etc then you shouldn't have a pet.

I will be a student with pets but Pixie is covered by the PDSA and Arty is insured. I also save up for vaccinations etc over the year. They are a big expense (although the amazingness of having them is totally worth it) and you have to remember that you are committing to a possible 5-20 years of looking after them depending on what animal you get.

• True indeed. I really doubt I'd get one for all of the reasons you wrote really.

However I know a few people with pets and they do just fine. I guess they're lucky really..

• I agree with starpoi, If you can't afford vet bills and stuff then you really should not consider having a pet. Supposing your pet got ill and needed long term and expensive medical treatment. That is something you really need to consider when getting a pet.

Matt

• Thinking back to my time as a student, a few of my friends did have pets, but it was far from the norm. One of the things that seemed to be a problem, was if you tend to move frequently, which I think is quite common as a student, it can be quite unsettling for the animal. Also, quite a lot of the contracts I had for places I was renting specified "no pets". It was hard enough trying to find somewhere to live anyway, without trying to find a place where you could have a pet. The other thing I know happened to one or two friends was that although they could afford the day-to-day costs (food etc.), when something unexpected came up (vets bill) they were stuffed.

I don't want to piss on your chips here, but I do want you to be realistic now and save yourself some heartache later.

• A suppose you need to think too whether you'll be in the same accommodation for the whole duration of your degree. If you get something small like a hamster, can you transport it home? If its bigger like a dog or cat they are going to cost you a lot more to keep. How do you plan to spend your summers? If its travelling, can the pet travel with you? If its working, how much time will you get to devote to it? What happens if you suddenly have to go home, or are ill? Can you make arrangements for it?

• Yes, I agree with the other posters, animals are a huge commitment. What about when you are no longer a student and need to move and get a full time job?

I'm not a student and I don't have any pets at the moment. I've owned many over the years but it is because I love animals that I do not have any, as I cannot afford the extra expense and the time and commitment they need and deserve.

A while back I gave in to my desperate desire to own another dog and I got a rescue greyhound out of the dog's home. Beautiful dog, wonderful temperament. Turned out she had an INCREDIBLY sensitive stomach and couldn't tolerate many types of food - think coming downstairs first thing in the morning to HUGE piles of dog diarrhoea all over the lounge carpet :vomit:
    She had to go the vets several times, had tests, she had colitis. I had insurance but you still have to pay the first £100. Then the insurance doubled.

My son broke out in severe eczema and was wheezing badly, he was allergic, I couldn't go out for long or away as I didn't know anyone who would be able to look after her. I didn't want to take her back to the dogs home as I loved her dearly and that would have been terrible for her. In the end it turned out ok as a relative took her on and she is very happy and I can see her whenever I want.

I didn't foresee any of that and in hindsight it was a bad idea to get a dog, I just wanted one so bad I thought it would all work out. If I ever get another pet I will think long and hard about it before I do, but I doubt I will as I like to travel when I get the chance and with the rising cost of living I'm not really financially secure enough.

Animals are a big responsibility for a number of years.

• Yeah I wouldn't have got an animal because of well...all the reasons everyone has stated. Moving so much and the chance of not being able to afford vet costs etc...not too good.

Just wondering what you folk thought :) Thanks a lot everyone.

• There are pet fostering scemes all over the country which many of my friends and family have done. Basically its when someone has to go into hospital or something you take their pet into your home and look after it untill they come out. The food and bills are paid for, you just look after them.
    This could be an option for you?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• I guess this isn't about being a student it's about having the money. you can be a poor non student or a pretty wealthy student......

My guinea pigs will be coming up here and I'll be a student for the next 4 years....it's a secure home though and won't miss out on any care... (i can also treat minor/common ailments myself, so thats less trips to the vets..) my only concern is me travelling in the summer, but martin doesnt have this luxory so i suspect he shall look after them over that time!

It's just a case of thinking up vets bills before they happen....even little guinea pigs can cost a f*cking fortune....dogs I'd imagine would be insane....random thousands here and then..... if you do get a small animal it would be worth reading up on illnesses and things in the way I have as I can spot things better than some vets... (lots don't have much of a clue about small animals) and treat them very simply and cheaply wheras vets insist on lots of painful and expensive and pointless tests to push prices up. And lots of the time mistreat or misdiagnose.....

/vet rant

• Quote from Naeni

..... my only concern is me travelling in the summer, but martin doesnt have this luxory so i suspect he shall look after them over that time!

Hmmm I feel a bbq coming on..........:whistle:

Anyway what about a goldfish.......:D

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• Yeah I had a goldfish called Pingu when i was at Uni and he lived 2 years and we even got him stoned once which was quite funny ho hum lol

• Quote from Sarah

Yeah I had a goldfish called Pingu when i was at Uni and he lived 2 years and we even got him stoned once which was quite funny ho hum lol

How the hell do you get a fish stoned.
    And just to let you know i dont think its right to get a fish dog or whatever stoned it aint right or funny.:rolleyes:

• We fed it blim....

Twas funny at the time - he thought it was fish food and then had a funny few moments of head butting the side of the tank...

• Quote from Sarah

We fed it blim....

Twas funny at the time - he thought it was fish food and then had a funny few moments of head butting the side of the tank...

I am not familiar with the word blim please enlighten me is it a slang word.:)

• Quote from Greenthing

How the hell do you get a fish stoned.
    And just to let you know i dont think its right to get a fish dog or whatever stoned it aint right or funny.:rolleyes:

Our old cat used to like getting stoned i think...

someone gave it a blow back once...dunno why...
    but then everytime we would smoke weed he would come sit on your knee and get in your face and start puring at you...

lol awww bless him..i miss him

• Quote from Kaiya

Our old cat used to like getting stoned i think...

someone gave it a blow back once...dunno why...
    but then everytime we would smoke weed he would come sit on your knee and get in your face and start puring at you...

lol awww bless him..i miss him

I think cats like the smell of weed for some reason.:)

• Quote from Greenthing

I am not familiar with the word blim please enlighten me is it a slang word.:)

yeah its a slang word generally used for describing a very small quanitity of hashish...seeing that you are from the land of herb i just assumed you'd be up with the lingo - sorry :)

• Quote from Greenthing

I think cats like the smell of weed for some reason.:)

yep.. its cos it smells similar to catnip and has similar chemical effects on them...

My old cat used to steal weed from the skinning up tray to eat lol

• my old dog ate a quater of solid once-before I had her :(

"One day you will ask me which is more important? my life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life." -

• my old girl used to jump on my knee and sniff the smoke - not quite so passive

"One day you will ask me which is more important? my life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life." -