What does spirituality mean to you?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from spyder

still not interested to be honest

im very much into nietzsche and schopenhauer

i like the concept of the dionysian

i have no idea what them words mean.

• Quote from TREASON

i have no idea what them words mean.

sorry sorry

the dionysian is taken from the greek god dionysus, the god of wine

it serves to illistrate the drunk chaotic nature of existence

and the will is another primal driving force

kinda the things that make us advance and create, more primal than spiritual and have more to do with the route animal instinct within us all

• Quote from spyder

........ the primal driving forces of humanity, if you wanna call that spiritual then fair enough

but i dont believe in anything beyond existance, and i dont think that existence is as ordered and peaceful as we think it is, its chaotic and fluctuating...but hell this is a completely different topic

no...its exactly the same topic.... and almost exactly how i view whats spiritual to me.....

when i sit in 'my places'... I feel a part of whats around me...something alive and huge and very real.... not ghosts and spirits....or even gods... I dont believe in God... but i believe in the power of nature... and the primal driving forces of humanity are linked to the earth... the earth is chaotic and ordered...strong and fragile.... its balanced.... and we are all a part of that balance..
    I just think we long ago forgot how to connect with it...

• That's pretty much my view, I tend to see things pretty much in terms of "The Force" from Star Wars and I think the deeper the connection you have to the enmeshed vibrations that make up existence the greater your ability to sense changes within it etc ...
    I think that's what makes the difference, the depth of that connection and the time we have to spend forging and maintaining it.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

........and I think the deeper the connection you have to the enmeshed vibrations that make up existence the greater your ability to sense changes within it etc ...
    I think that's what makes the difference, the depth of that connection and the time we have to spend forging and maintaining it.

exactly that.. or at least i agree with you Firinne.... what you get out of it is a direct result of what you put in.... for me i dont need to look any further than whats around me.... in the fields rivers and woods... i certainly dont feel anything spiritual when i'm in concrete jungles and traffic jams... its almost like these things create a barrier between us and the real world...

• nah, spirituality suggests a certain divineness, something with purpose, something that is other worldly

what im suggesting is none of those things, its chaotic and destructive, and is purely nihilistic in character. its certainly not balenced, its merely the way things are and its definately not connected to the world anymore than the fact that we exist within it

• Quote from spyder

than the fact that we exist within it

see to me thats all what spirituality is, realising that we exist at level with everything esle. i think humans seem to think(becouse of the world we have came to live in) that were a step above nature or apart from it. and spirituality is just bringing your self back down to that leavel and ebracing it. eveyone has there own spin on it.just that my 2 cents

• Quote from shaun

see to me thats all what spirituality is, realising that we exist at level with everything esle. i think humans seem to think(becouse of the world we have came to live in) that were a step above nature or apart from it. and spirituality is just bringing your self back down to that leavel and ebracing it. eveyone has there own spin on it.just that my 2 cents

thats what i tried to explain to spyder... :frust: .... i'm glad someone else sees it the way i do...and can explain it better than me :)

• Quote from pabsy

exactly that.. or at least i agree with you Firinne.... what you get out of it is a direct result of what you put in.... for me i dont need to look any further than whats around me.... in the fields rivers and woods... i certainly dont feel anything spiritual when i'm in concrete jungles and traffic jams... its almost like these things create a barrier between us and the real world...

I guess there's nothing to connect with in the man made forms around us, they're essentially shallow constructs lacking in any real positive essence.
    That said I know one person who used to use traffic noise for shamanic journeying ;)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from Firinne

I guess there's nothing to connect with in the man made forms around us, they're essentially shallow constructs lacking in any real positive essence.

But then there are some very beautiful buildings created by man. Cathedrals are a good example. Man can put himself (or herself!) into the creations that we see, even in our modern society we see architecture that some see as beautiful. Can we perhaps call that spiritual? Pouring our own essence into something external?

That said I know one person who used to use traffic noise for shamanic journeying ;)

LOL now that's resourceful! Bringing shamanism into the 21st century........