What does spirituality mean to you?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• First thought 'bullshit' second thought 'if it works for you'

Personaly i am not spiritual in anyway at all... :wiggle:

Sorry to start off [this thread] so erm :frust:

• Spirituality:

• The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual.
    • The clergy.

Um... for me generally the first one |:

Spiritual:

• Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
    • Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
    • Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
    • Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.

I'm going to just take that very last word - sacred - and sell that. I think most spirituality revolves around what is "sacred" to the individual, and it's this that makes them a... spiritualist (?) (and it such a broad label)

• I'd define it as a sacred relationship with spirit, whether your own or anothers.
    (And no, Jack Daniels doesn't bloody well count!) :harhar:

I'd say I'm spiritually inclined, and I don't think it's a gift from god for the chosen few or anything like that - IMO anyone can enjoy sacred relationship with spirit if they make the choice to reach out and connect.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• In recent years and the more life's journey continues I find myself becoming more and more spiritual. I used to be very grounded in everything I did, spirituality wasn't so important. I was brought up a Christian but gave up god when I was about 18. Then for a while didn't believe in much at all, though paganism - ancient sites and gatherings was starting to become more appealing.

And now I take my belief system from paganism/wiccan/druidism, angels, spirit, buddhism, native american culture etc... I don't feel I can be one thing, as life is too rich and diverse for me but if anything I call myself a pagan as that can encompass many beliefs, especially stuff that is non-institutionlised.

The more life goes on the more I get drawn to spiritual people and them to me. I have had quite a few experiences now!! Some folk may not believe my experiences but to me thats ok, as I know what has happened to me and that is all that matters. I believe the more you work with it the more your vibration rises and the more intune you become. That is my experience anyway. In the recent past, before moving away from each other, I used to work with a very close friend of mine who is a spiritual healer, when I connect with her I really feel the energies we have, and she often confirms my thoughts.

The important thing is to be grounded and I am :0) And trust in your intution and this is an important key to what you can achieve.

At the end of the day, each to their own!! :D

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

• Quote from Stormypagan

Some folk may not believe my experiences but to me thats ok, as I know what has happened to me and that is all that matters.

That's just what born-again christians say :long:

Hmmm. I'd certainly spiritual, and the idea that the universe is just a chance collision of particles seems utterly ludicrous to me. I don't belive in ideology though. Spirituality is, by its nature, utterly subjective. To me, that means that it's impossible to discover any absolute truths or inner secrets. All you can really learn are lessons to aid you on the path of your own life.

• Hey Dok, I have read what you had to say about spirituality and organised religion on you personal website and I would completely agree with you thereby making it impossible to have any kind of debate on the matter.

• i have no idea what spirituality means to me. The whole god thing turned out to be a bit of a farce really. I guess i'll make up some weird meaning for it when i'm older.

• At the end of the day spirituality is a personal thing, so something of what Dok does say I agree with :0) eg the "All you can really learn are lessons to aid you on the path of your own life" bit. In my eyes lessons for the soul :0)

How would you define spirituality .. would you class yourself as spiritually inclined?

I don't know how to define spirituality other than to say - awareness.. that could be an awareness of self or self in relation to nature or humanity or both.. I guess thats what spirituality means to me...learning to be more aware of all of those things in relation to one another. I would say I am spiritually inclined.

Is it something that can be attained by anyone, is it a gift from a superior being or is it all bullshit?

Yeah anyone can be spiritual. Some people say that their being spiritual is something they have no control over and it is imposed on them but I don't agree with that. I don't think its all bullshit either.

• To me its an inner journey.... an awareness that we are a part of nature..

There are isolated beautiful places i go to where i sit in solitude and feel at one with all thats around me...

its hard to feel spiritual when i'm driving around London and rushing from one meeting to the next...and so i take time out when i can to just connect with what really matters... i guess its different for all of us...

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by pabsy
    There are isolated beautiful places i go to where i sit in solitude and feel at one with all thats around me...

And I'll be third to say "oh yes"

For me such places are like the salvation of my inner and spiritual life, without such places, I would lose my way much more from what is important to me.

Although I often think the place is only important as being a spot I'm comfortable and safe in, to meditate, I also recall the Shaman of Carlos Casteneda's books teaching him to find his special places.

However much we know, IMO, we know little of the miracle of life in terms of understanding though much from feelings and intuition. And in the right place and right time, understanding, feelings and intuition seem to come together for me.

• personally, from my egotistic philosopher view point

i think spirituality is the notion of the illusion of feeling a grand connection with either, the world as people, the world as nature, or a pillow against the truth that is the chaotic pointlessness of nature. That manafests itself in the safety net of religion, or grand and ultimately unproovable and meaningless metaphysical notions

• I think saying something can't be proven is quite an ironic statement, can you prove that it can't be proven? ;)

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• hmm, fair point, but if you wanna conclude that you can prove catagorically that angels exist, or even that our world "exists" then your flawed also, i cant proove that it exists and i cant proove that it doesnt exist...

thats what metaphysics is...very basically

• man, its so much more. its not summin u learn though, its summin that develops in yourself, i belive you create your own spiritualism as you go along with things that feel right.
    i do anyway, its deep stuff, as much and alot more then anything that could be taught.

• Quote from TREASON

man, its so much more. its not summin u learn though, its summin that develops in yourself, i belive you create your own spiritualism as you go along with things that feel right.
    i do anyway, its deep stuff, as much and alot more then anything that could be taught.

hmm thats fine if its what you want to believe, but i just think spirituality is just illusion to make people feel comfortable with their own mortality, and the fact that the universe is a chaotic place, that they have no meaning in, no purpose or direction, and could be thrown out of existance at anytime. thats what i believe, which believe it or not is more liberating to your life than simply pessamistic and suicidal, it liberates you from the need to feel attached to existence, allows you full freedom of your own life

• Quote from spyder

hmm, fair point, but if you wanna conclude that you can prove catagorically that angels exist, or even that our world "exists" then your flawed also, i cant proove that it exists and i cant proove that it doesnt exist...

thats what metaphysics is...very basically

Exactly my point, you can't categorically state that something can't be proven only that proving it has been impossible so far - so, basically ... anything's possible!

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Quote from spyder

hmm thats fine if its what you want to believe, but i just think spirituality is just illusion to make people feel comfortable with their own mortality, and the fact that the universe is a chaotic place, that they have no meaning in, no purpose or direction, and could be thrown out of existance at anytime. thats what i believe, which believe it or not is more liberating to your life than simply pessamistic and suicidal, it liberates you from the need to feel attached to existence, allows you full freedom of your own life

hmm maybe i should have read all the posts, or maybe i look at life in a way i cant apply to other people. the way i think about life is the most liberating way possible for me at this moment in time.
    maybe i dont fit into this conversation.
    i strive to get as far out as possible as much as every thought.
    i dont feel human for sure. and my word for that is spirituality.

• Quote from spyder

when i said spirituality, i didnt actually mean religon. i ment spirituality,
    i make mine up as i go along, its quite out there really. its not a blind fold for reality belive me mate. chaos fits in to my spirituality perfectly, as does anything else the universe may throw at me. even if i didnt understand, the act of me tryin to get my head round it is still spiritual.
    anyone could make up some spiritual system, it wouldnt even be hard. i choose to do it for myself.

learning a system dont mean much in my eyes, its just one persons veiw on how the universe works.
    my view is just a more advanced veiw of knowing we actually know fuck all about the universe. and im just following the pathways that are letting me pass thru them at this time, and building new pathways.
    its not some pretencious hippy pretend not actually bullshit that not even ment anything or means everything at all.

• hmm, yeah, but there are more ways to understand how the universe works that just spirituality, why do you feel that thats more valid than the others?

• ok, i could call it sumin else.
    its still how i work though, this is what i was tryin to say.
    spirituality to me, isnt learning reki.
    its just a word to discribe how i think about life and the universe.
    im not a middle age housewife mate.
    im gonna call it pixieism, then i cant get hassled.

its just who i am spider.

• if you except that as a race, we actually know fuck all about what any of it is all about, which is true. then what else is there to do apart from find your own way. i call that spiritualism, or pixieism, or what ever you want.
    its a name for my thoughts on the universe. maybe it shouldnt have a name. but spiritual fits ok with me.

• yeah man, but thats people that are into weird little cliuqes.
    dont let the word spirituality put you off, cus people do use that word.
    belive me mate, i know so many flakey fuckers that used the word spiritual, if it was down to them i would have a job and a morgadge n all sorts. its only a word man, see behind it to what the people are actually saying.
    thats what i do anyway.
    good advice it think :)

• still not interested to be honest

im very much into nietzsche and schopenhauer

i like the concept of the dionysian and the will, the primal driving forces of humanity, if you wanna call that spiritual then fair enough

but i dont believe in anything beyond existance, and i dont think that existence is as ordered and peaceful as we think it is, its chaotic and fluctuating...but hell this is a completely different topic